Darrell Dickey Deserves An Apology!

meangreenbob

I didn't sign my son did....I wanted him to sign with Arkansas or Kstate...the new facilities and Kenny Evans along with Duke Atterberry were good recruiters and the fact that UNT is a great school to get a degree at. Plus UNT just went to a bowl game for the 4th time...they also promised he would play TE and he would be playing in a new stadium by his JR year lol.

Charley is graduating December 19th and he's going to enroll in graduate school to work on his masters next semester. I'm very proud of him with what he's had to go through with TD high school ball.

Thanks for "loaning" Charley to "us" for a short while, and yes, I am proud of him too. I hope your son does not share your view that he has played HS football. I think he was with a group of much bigger, faster and more skilled players than he saw in HS. My point was that the "drunk fans" certainly did not keep your SON from signing with UNT. Coach Dodge has had some pretty decent signing classes too...as did Coach Dickey when he was actually recruiting. One of the many things that got him canned was the fact that he pretty much stopped recruiting.

Yep, life has been pretty tough for UNT tight ends recently, and I, for one, cannot understand that logic...or non-logic as it were....to me, the tight end could be a very key link in the UNT offense...I long for the day when the tight end is once again an integral part of the offense...I am hopeful that will happen this next season. One can hope!

Good luck to Charley with his grad work...all the Mean Green Nation is proud of Charley right along with you!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't sign my son did....I wanted him to sign with Arkansas or Kstate...the new facilities and Kenny Evans along with Duke Atterberry were good recruiters and the fact that UNT is a great school to get a degree at. Plus UNT just went to a bowl game for the 4th time...they also promised he would play TE and he would be playing in a new stadium by his JR year lol.

Charley is graduating December 19th and he's going to enroll in graduate school to work on his masters next semester. I'm very proud of him with what he's had to go through with TD high school ball.

Charley is a great young man. He wasn't treated very fairly and yet he has stayed at UNT, finished his undergrad degree and wants to stay and get an MBA. That speaks very highly about his character and about the education one can get at UNT.

UNT fans certainly owe DD nothing, but, I agree, that bad fan behavior is not a good recruiting tool...but, it sure doesn't seem to hurt folks like LSU...just saying..and, yes, DD certainly reaped what he sowed. I agree with that 100%.

Right, we haven't had a decade winning percentage above .500 since the 60's, but when Dickey comes in and takes us to 4 bowl games, its nothing. :rolleyes:

I really don't understand the minimization of the accomplishments of those teams, of which Dickey was the head coach of.

Thanks guys...you're part of the reason i like UNT so much...there is a lot more good than bad at this university :). I am an Okie State grad and love my university...but I would be just as proud to have graduated from UNT. I've adopted UNT because of my son and will always support the Mean Green!!

Edited by MeanGreenPOP

Right, we haven't had a decade winning percentage above .500 since the 60's, but when Dickey comes in and takes us to 4 bowl games, its nothing. :rolleyes:

I really don't understand the minimization of the accomplishments of those teams, of which Dickey was the head coach of.

Biased response.

The reason is in our 4 bowl year run we only had two OOC wins against D1A teams with Cini being the only one with a winning record, the other was a very bad Baylor. If you are interested in the that entire run we only had one other OOC win period and that was Nicholls St. We were defeated by everyone else including Troy, a still bad Baylor in 04, and Florida Atlantic when they were still D1AA. Many feel we never really did anything to legitimize our success, and almost everyone in the real world felt it didn't mean much without it. But SBC has changed and if the run were to happen now I think there would be much more respect, plus the OOC wins would naturally happen.

Edited by KingDL1

The reason is in our 4 bowl year run we only had two OOC wins against D1A teams with Cini being the only one with a winning record, the other was a very bad Baylor. If you are interested in the that entire run we only had one other OOC win period and that was Nicholls St. We were defeated by everyone else including Troy, a still bad Baylor in 04, and Florida Atlantic when they were still D1AA. Many feel we never really did anything to legitimize our success, and almost everyone in the real world felt it didn't mean much without it. But SBC has changed and if the run were to happen now I think there would be much more respect, plus the OOC wins would naturally happen.

Agree. Don't know if OOC wins would naturally happen, but you would definitely need them, including an upset or two in there like a Clemson, and blowing an Army team out.

LOL....I remember sitting in the stands when my son was being recruited and we were given free tickets to the home games. Drunk fans in the alum section would shout obscenities at DD the entire game. And this was the first losing season after going to 4 bowl games in a row. Now we were sitting at the bottom of the stands right behind DD and the team and we could here it all so I'm sure they could too. Do you think this did anything to help get players to sign with UNT and do you think DD and the existing players thought much of the fans when hearing this crap? It's no wonder DD and co. felt the way they did after hearing that crap game after game after game. I'm just sayin. You reap what you sow.

I'm glad your son signed with UNT and sorry his time on the team wasn't like the four years that preceded it.

But regarding the stuff about Dickey, coaches take some fan abuse at every college football program in the country. Winners rise above it -- losers use it as an excuse. When Darrel Dickey started using fans as a scapegoat, that was the point at which his program began circling the drain.

Anyone who thinks the Mean Green Nation is tough on its players and coaches should come out here to Florida. You have no idea how hard Florida and FSU fans can be when things aren't going well.

Edited by rcade

I'm glad your son signed with UNT and sorry his time on the team wasn't like the four years that preceded it.

But regarding the stuff about Dickey, coaches take some fan abuse at every college football program in the country. Winners rise above it -- losers use it as an excuse. When Darrel Dickey started using fans as a scapegoat, that was the point at which his program began circling the drain.

Anyone who thinks the Mean Green Nation is tough on its players and coaches should come out here to Florida. You have no idea how hard Florida and FSU fans can be when things aren't going well.

Good point, and DD should have been bigger than what he was on playing the blame game. Fans however, need to realize that recruits are at these games and need to keep negative crap to themselves until they can address the person they are directing it at in a different place and time.

Guest JohnDenver

MGP,

If you sat in those seats now, you would see a more calm fan base. People aren't yelling at the HC because they don't feel constantly bad mouthed by him and they aren't reacting personally to how DD bad mouthed the university every time we played a national powerhouse. I can only speak for myself, but DD's exterior was off-putting and made me feel defensive. He pointed out our weaknesses (as fans and university), so the fans were more than happy to throw it back at HIM directly. It wasn't a good relationship.

I don't see that animosity towards Dodge. Note that DD started his career at UNT in the same fashion and he got a fourth year.

Thanks guys...you're part of the reason i like UNT so much...there is a lot more good than bad at this university :). I am an Okie State grad and love my university...but I would be just as proud to have graduated from UNT. I've adopted UNT because of my son and will always support the Mean Green!!

Hmmmmmmm...no wonder I like you...GO COWBOYS!!!! Yes, I am a fella OSU grad as well...did graduate work at OSU...LOVE the place...every one of my memories are great...even though...the football team was not so great when I was attending. Interestingly enough...the student body and alums still turned out for the games...imagine that!

But, 1st love has to go to UNT...my undergrad school. Anyway...thanks again for all your support and for Charley's hard work.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

More good points :)

I will add my congrats on your son's graduation and subsequent Masters Degree that I am sure he will receive. I wish him and all his teammates well and hope his degrees help him achieve continued success. I don't care if you went to school here or not. We can always use more fans and I hope you continue to follow the program. I welcome anyone aboard this bandwagon.

Edited by filmerj

Guest JohnDenver

well....DD did come out to the flag football game and gave us all hats! dodge.....he hasn't shown up yet.

It was great for DD to make it out, yet I hypothesize that IF the game was the morning of a UT-UNT match-up and DD where out there with Fox Sports SW that he would throw jabs and UNT fans and their (lack-of) abilities. Or hey, maybe he would say that the flag teams would have as much as a shot as winning against UT? The jokes would write themselves and DD would deliver them.

When Dodge should put a good face on and talk up the UNT, he does. I don't really care if Dodge shows up for charity bingo games or a gmg flag football game. He does what is important -- and that included NOT trashing fans/alumni/University.

You know why Dickey created the us versus them mentality with people outside of the meeting room? It wasn't an excuse. It's because of what you just said right there. We won 4 straight titles, went to 4 straight bowl games, didn't lose a conference game for several seasons and you still dont feel like that is legitimate success? And dont act like there wasn't criticism of players and coaches when we were winning because there was. Nothing will ever be enough so he chose to side with us as opposed to making the PR move. You dont like us running a draw on 3rd and 15, oh well. The problem is you are okay with it when it works and hate it when it doesn't. Do you honestly think we weren't trying to win the out of conference games? It pissed us off more than anyone else but we still played with pride and won championships. That is legitimate. You will go party in New Orleans and then talk about how bad the SBC is. Screw your variables. I'm proud of my time and can make a brass knuckle out of my conference championship rings. Not may people can say that. I apologize for getting so fired up about this, but it seems like sometimes you all forget that this isn't just Dickey's legacy, it is the players that were involved as well. Players that he cared about and knew how to inspire.

Think about this, if you cant appreciate a team that wins, what is the point of putting in all of the hard work when were losing to get back to winning?

You know why Dickey created the us versus them mentality with people outside of the meeting room? It wasn't an excuse. It's because of what you just said right there. We won 4 straight titles, went to 4 straight bowl games, didn't lose a conference game for several seasons and you still dont feel like that is legitimate success? And dont act like there wasn't criticism of players and coaches when we were winning because there was. Nothing will ever be enough so he chose to side with us as opposed to making the PR move.

There was criticism of players and coaches back then, but for every fan who didn't think four Sun Belt titles in a row was enough, there must have been 10 fans who were ecstatic about the success of the team and its first bowl trip in 40 years.

As someone who began following North Texas when I arrived at the school in 1987, I thought Dickey's four-year run through the Belt was the greatest thing I'd ever seen in UNT sports. I loved those teams.

Dickey's mistake was that when the going got tough, he treated all fans like they were the ones who were impossible to please and voiced the harshest criticism. He alienated a lot of alums like myself, who had been a solid supporter of his teams but got tired of him badmouthing all fans and the university. When he kept at it with the us-vs-them BS, he pushed me further and further into the them camp. I can't support a coach who holds a grudge against the school's own fans and never stops reminding people that he feels that way.

Edited by rcade

Don't get me wrong, Coach Dickey handled the PR situation terribly. No one denies that. If he had tried just a little more with the fans he wouldn't have been fired when he was, who knows, he might have righted the ship.

However, I don't understand how people constantly minimize what those teams did.

Those teams beat Texas Tech, Boise Twice (8 and 10 win Boise teams at that), a Cincinnati that was their conference co champ, and has there ever been a bigger win at Fouts than that 52-14 Baylor win?

Yes, they didn't go undefeated, they didn't win the MNC, but they did more than any team at North Texas had done in decades, maybe ever.

And because some people hold grudges against the coach, we aren't supposed to celebrate those seasons? Bull.

You know why Dickey created the us versus them mentality with people outside of the meeting room? It wasn't an excuse. It's because of what you just said right there. We won 4 straight titles, went to 4 straight bowl games, didn't lose a conference game for several seasons and you still dont feel like that is legitimate success? And dont act like there wasn't criticism of players and coaches when we were winning because there was. Nothing will ever be enough so he chose to side with us as opposed to making the PR move. You dont like us running a draw on 3rd and 15, oh well. The problem is you are okay with it when it works and hate it when it doesn't. Do you honestly think we weren't trying to win the out of conference games? It pissed us off more than anyone else but we still played with pride and won championships. That is legitimate. You will go party in New Orleans and then talk about how bad the SBC is. Screw your variables. I'm proud of my time and can make a brass knuckle out of my conference championship rings. Not may people can say that. I apologize for getting so fired up about this, but it seems like sometimes you all forget that this isn't just Dickey's legacy, it is the players that were involved as well. Players that he cared about and knew how to inspire.

Think about this, if you cant appreciate a team that wins, what is the point of putting in all of the hard work when were losing to get back to winning?

I was happy with the bowls don't get me wrong, but it still did not legitimize the program. And I never said I didn't think everyone involved was not trying those years, the record stands as stated though take it how you want. I am proud of all the players, and DD getting there. But you are right it is not enough for me and it shouldn't have been enough for anyone else, I would have liked to have won more then one bowl game also. I expected DD to build on that momentum but he did not.

Guest JohnDenver

And because some people hold grudges against the coach, we aren't supposed to celebrate those seasons? Bull.

I separate the two.

I agree with that. I personally think of those 4 years as I do the Cowboys of the 90's. Neon Don, Galbreath, all the LBs, of course Cobbs and Thomas, Buckles, Markeith, Jo-el, (yes, even stone hands) Marshall. All of those names even before I get to Booger.

I can still pop in my DVDs of those years and be happy as pig in warm crap.