In Fairness To Dodge About The Redshirt ...

rcade

I hate the decision to burn Derek Thompson's redshirt. But I'd like to play devil's advocate with benefit of a little time to think.

In fairness to Dodge, how much would Thompson have played this season if he wasn't redshirted? He got the third-string quarterback's practice time and a year of prep in Dodge's offense. If Dodge hadn't redshirted him at all this year, he would've gotten the third-string quarterback's practice time and a year of prep. As a non-redshirt freshman, he would not have played this year unless the number two goes down in a game. That didn't happen until the final game.

Although Thompson has lost a year of his collegiate career he thought he'd have, we don't know how all of this will play out. If Dodge is gone and Riley follows him out the door, Thompson goes into next season as a contender for the starting job. He didn't hurt his chances with that short, flawless touchdown drive. If Dodge stays, Thompson competes with Tune for the backup job behind an injury prone starter.

The year this decision hurts Thompson most is in 2013. By then, who knows what the quarterback situation is like?

How much would he have played ever? This guy was not brought in here to see significant playing time under the regime.

With that being said, under a different regime, who knows. I am SICK of the "spite" talk. This is a guy who was never intended to the "savior" or even brought in to the "the guy"

Is he a bad player? Absolutely not what I am saying, but some guys are brought in to fill a role, and he was brought in to provide depth the QB position, thereby not really hurting his career any by burning his redshirt.

Would I have loved to see him sit on the sidelines those last few minutes, you are damn right! Am I heartbroken and disgruntled that his redshirt is burned? Not really.

How much does it have on a potential recruit ? Another coach could easily point to this issue use this against TD ( as if he already doesn't have enough).

03, its not that big of a deal. If it was, he would not have been on the trip with pads on to begin with. I agree with what one poster said that you have to have skilled recruits for depth. Not every recruit is recruited to be all conference, there does need to be a good back-up, and perhaps that was what Thompson was recruited as. I think another coach pointing this incident out to a recruit is unlikely. Coaches don't get enough time with a recruit to talk about their own schools, much else all the little flaws of another. But you know what, if we had 5 to 6 wins under our belts and the call was made to put THompson in, then I bet this decision would be a topic on the board with maybe ten comments.

You know what's ridiculous about this conversation? It only makes sense if Thompson had a snowball's chance in hell of starting for four years after he redshirted!

That isn't going to happen with Dodge here. He's going to play his son.

Look:

(1) If Thompson had redshirted this season, how much would he realistically play in 2010 sitting behind Dodge and Tune? Probably none. So, at that point, he'd have had two full seasons 2009 and 2010 without playing a live snap of football.

(2) Because Dodge is going to play his son come hell or high water, Thompson can redhist in 2010. Tune is still here to back up in 2010.

(3) Finally, we got a good look at Thompson under pressure - and, it looked good! Here's where I sit in the pumpkin patch with Linus and hope Coach Dodge saw the Great Pumpkin in Thompson's play and allows him to compete for the starting job next spring with Dodge and Tune.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

You know what's ridiculous about this conversation? It only makes sense if Thompson had a snowball's chance in hell of starting for four years after he redshirted!

That isn't going to happen with Dodge here. He's going to play his son.

Look:

(1) If Thompson had redshirted this season, how much would he realistically play in 2010 sitting behind Dodge and Tune? Probably none. So, at that point, he'd have had two full seasons 2009 and 2010 without playing a live snap of football.

(2) Because Dodge is going to play his son come hell or high water, Thompson can redhist in 2010. Tune is still here to back up in 2010.

(3) Finally, we got a good look at Thompson under pressure - and, it looked good! Here's where I sit in the pumpkin patch with Linus and hope Coach Dodge saw the Great Pumpkin in Thompson's play and allows him to compete for the starting job next spring with Dodge and Tune.

Righ on!

03, its not that big of a deal. If it was, he would not have been on the trip with pads on to begin with. I agree with what one poster said that you have to have skilled recruits for depth. Not every recruit is recruited to be all conference, there does need to be a good back-up, and perhaps that was what Thompson was recruited as. I think another coach pointing this incident out to a recruit is unlikely. Coaches don't get enough time with a recruit to talk about their own schools, much else all the little flaws of another. But you know what, if we had 5 to 6 wins under our belts and the call was made to put THompson in, then I bet this decision would be a topic on the board with maybe ten comments.

If we were at 5 or 6 wins then no it woudln't have even been an issue. If we were at 7 + wins then I think it would have been an issue if we had already locked up a bowl bid.

I think my problem is that if TD wasn't in a position to lose his job , if he felt he had a secure hold on it, then he wouldn't have burned his shirt. Seeing Thompson play , he could be the future starter here under a different system. The kid has a strong arm and is your protypical pocket passer. Under a potential different coach Thompson losses a whole year , but again it's just " if's " and " but's". Im not as mad as I was yesterday about it , I think it just capped off the end to another great year in being a MEAN GREEN FAN.

Now if it were Florida or Bama then yeah a recruit would hear something about this from another school , but we are just lil ol UNT.

Im just glad this season is over and looking forward to the roundballs and another March Madness run. !!

Edited by NT03

If Todd Dodge is back next year I seriously doubt Tune will return and who could blame him.

Riley is not a QB at this level and probably not even at D1AA. Too small, too short and lacks arm strength.

Todd Dodge can not honestly play Riley at QB next year without losing the team and the fans. It will reak of nepotism.

The Southlake run for the Dodge's is officially over.

If Todd Dodge is back next year I seriously doubt Tune will return and who could blame him.

Riley is not a QB at this level and probably not even at D1AA. Too small, too short and lacks arm strength.

Todd Dodge can not honestly play Riley at QB next year without losing the team and the fans. It will reak of nepotism.

Why would Nathan leave at this point he has no eligibility left, plus he has been a big part of the team this year.

It seems if Dodge does stay odds are there will be several new assistants including a new OC which will probably change things quite a bit.

Edited by KingDL1

Some of you will deny this all day long, but mark it down now: AS LONG AS RILEY DODGE IS ENROLLED AND ELIGIBLE, he WILL START as QB under his DAD.

Is Tune leaving just a gut feeling or do you have factual information?

Why would Nathan leave at this point he has no eligibility left, plus he has been a big part of the team this year.

It seems if Dodge does stay odds are there will be several new assistants including a new OC which will probably change things quite a bit.

I doubt very seriously that Dodge will stay if RV comes in and forces him to change those coaches. I still say it doesn't matter....I still think he is gone.

If we were at 5 or 6 wins then no it woudln't have even been an issue. If we were at 7 + wins then I think it would have been an issue if we had already locked up a bowl bid.

I think my problem is that if TD wasn't in a position to lose his job , if he felt he had a secure hold on it, then he wouldn't have burned his shirt. Seeing Thompson play , he could be the future starter here under a different system. The kid has a strong arm and is your protypical pocket passer. Under a potential different coach Thompson losses a whole year , but again it's just " if's " and " but's". Im not as mad as I was yesterday about it , I think it just capped off the end to another great year in being a MEAN GREEN FAN.

Now if it were Florida or Bama then yeah a recruit would hear something about this from another school , but we are just lil ol UNT.

Im just glad this season is over and looking forward to the roundballs and another March Madness run. !!

I think I remember a Calvin Johnson and a Michael Crabtree who played only 2 seasons for their respective teams because the redshirted. I we had that caliber of player(and Dunbar may be) they would want to play now, like Bryce Brown and Rex Burkhead.

We didn't burn his redshirt. We burned a season of eligibility.

Not sure if anyone was confused about that, but it is a little misleading.

I can see your point, since he could be held out of play in any of the next 3 years and that would be his "redshirt" season. There's really no designation as "redshirt", until someone goes through a year without playing. I'm not necessarily criticizing the decision, since I think one part of a player's development is simply to get "noticed", playing well in an actual game, and Derek Thompson did get "noticed". However it's worded, I think the criticisms do make a good point, that a season of eligibility was used for such a short time, in the last game of what is basically a lost season.

We didn't burn his redshirt. We burned a season of eligibility.

Not sure if anyone was confused about that, but it is a little misleading.

I think you're wrong about how the term is used.

The term "burn his redshirt" means to withdraw a player's redshirt status by playing him in a game during that season. It doesn't mean to use his redshirt so that it can't be used in a future season.

Examples of usage:

Georgia Tech's Wright may burn redshirt Saturday

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/722/...dshirt-saturday

Haphazard burning of redshirts real reason Groh needs to go

http://www2.starexponent.com/cse/sports/ot...ds_to_go/46460/

Utah May Decide to Burn Freshman Jordan Wynn's Redshirt

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2009/10/28/11...o-burn-freshman

I think you're wrong about how the term is used.

The term "burn his redshirt" means to withdraw a player's redshirt status by playing him in a game during that season. It doesn't mean to use his redshirt so that it can't be used in a future season.

I am not disputing the usage. I read it every year. I just think it is misleading.

Kind of like people who say the Belt is non-BCS. drives me nuts. :lol:

I am not disputing the usage. I read it every year. I just think it is misleading.

Kind of like people who say the Belt is non-BCS. drives me nuts. :lol:

OK. I see your point now.

Burning a bra still means what people think it does ... free love hippie chicks who might have low standards.