Tough Seeing Through The Losing.

mean green d

It has been a good spell since we sniffed winning, but I really believe our program is

ready to turn the corner. We are on the verge of doing just that. We have found ourselves

competetive in most of the games. Next comes learning how to win. The jackpot will come next

year and beyond. I know patience is a lost art in the world these days due to people wanting

instant gratification. I also know that once we start winning these painful times will

be a sweet reminder of what the players and fanbase went through to get there. Pain must

many times be felt before better times come. I am glad to see that this is building

perserverance in the players and fanbase. I just hope we support the team

and coaches who work so hard each week for our proud U. We will be ready for winning and thankful

for the tough times. Make us proud this Saturday boys and fight until the end. Good times

are on the way.

GMG

It has been a good spell since we sniffed winning, but I really believe our program is

ready to turn the corner. We are on the verge of doing just that. We have found ourselves

competetive in most of the games. Next comes learning how to win. The jackpot will come next

year and beyond. I know patience is a lost art in the world these days due to people wanting

instant gratification. I also know that once we start winning these painful times will

be a sweet reminder of what the players and fanbase went through to get there. Pain must

many times be felt before better times come. I am glad to see that this is building

perserverance in the players and fanbase. I just hope we support the team

and coaches who work so hard each week for our proud U. We will be ready for winning and thankful

for the tough times. Make us proud this Saturday boys and fight until the end. Good times

are on the way.

GMG

3 yrs is instant gradification?.....really!

Two years ago we were in lots of games but lost because of defense or too many turnovers by our QB. How is this year any different? Dunbar is the lone bright spot on this team.

What games were you watching? We were out of many games by the first quarter or half the last two years before this year.

GMG

Two years ago we were in lots of games but lost because of defense or too many turnovers by our QB. How is this year any different? Dunbar is the lone bright spot on this team.

Bull S.

Last year we lost games by large margins, that changed significantly this year.

Yes we only won 2 games but the improvement between last year and this year is definately substantial turn-a-round. NT scored 53 points this year over last year, our defense decreased scoring of opponents from 387 to 293 a reduction of 118 fewer points allowed...a turn a round of 171 points between this year and last year. If a receiver had not dropped a pass in the end zone vs Ohio we would have won that game and should have won a couple more.

I don't know how our recruiting will be this year because of all the negativity out there but AFTER SIGNING last year NT brought in 5 transfers enrolled after recruiting season...all enrolled at NT. A LB from SMU that was a Max Emfinger 5 *, a WR from OK UNIV 3*, a WR from OK St 4*, a De from UTEP by way of Cisco....a 3*, plus Keenan Flaxfrom HO Cypress Ridge, and SDE from Allen HS, as well as a DE from CA playing this year. These players had offers from between them from:

SMU, Baylor, TCU, Tulsa, UTEP, Washington, OK, Connecticut, LaTech, Memphis , OK State, So Miss, TT, Iowa Iowa St, Missouri, TCU, Utah, UTEP, OK ST again, TAX !$M, AZ, Kans, Missouri again, Nebraska, Rice, another SMU, another UTEP, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin.

Each of these players are currently enrolled at NT several enrolled at mid term last year and others last summer, so all should be elgible to play next year.. Hopefully we won't hear about recruiting from UT San Antonio or Div 2 schools again.

Assuming Dodge returns I see another year of significant improvement over this year.

Assuming Dodge returns we have an opportunity to sign 3 JC players in attendance at the Army game, two JC 3*'s and a 4 *, a corner back, a Outside LB, and a safety. The positives and improvements are out there...just so few seem to try to look for them.

Bull S.

Yes we only won 2 games but the improvement between last year and this year is definately substantial turn-a-round. NT scored 53 points this year over last year, our defense decreased scoring of opponents from 387 to 293 a reduction of 118 fewer points allowed...a turn a round of 171 points between this year and last year. If a receiver had not dropped a pass in the end zone vs Ohio we would have won that game and should have won a couple more.

I don't know how our recruiting will be this year because of all the negativity out there but AFTER SIGNING last year NT brought in 5 transfers enrolled after recruiting season...all enrolled at NT. A LB from SMU that was a Max Emfinger 5 *, a WR from OK UNIV 3*, a WR from OK St 4*, a De from UTEP by way of Cisco....a 3*, plus Keenan Flaxfrom HO Cypress Ridge, and SDE from Allen HS, as well as a DE from CA playing this year. These players had offers from between them from:

SMU, Baylor, TCU, Tulsa, UTEP, Washington, OK, Connecticut, LaTech, Memphis , OK State, So Miss, TT, Iowa Iowa St, Missouri, TCU, Utah, UTEP, OK ST again, TAX !$M, AZ, Kans, Missouri again, Nebraska, Rice, another SMU, another UTEP, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin.

Each of these players are currently enrolled at NT several enrolled at mid term last year and others last summer, so all should be elgible to play next year.. Hopefully we won't hear about recruiting from UT San Antonio or Div 2 schools again.

Assuming Dodge returns I see another year of significant improvement over this year.

Assuming Dodge returns we have an opportunity to sign 3 JC players in attendance at the Army game, two JC 3*'s and a 4 *, a corner back, a Outside LB, and a safety. The positives and improvements are out there...just so few seem to try to look for them.

I am right there with you. I really think that we can be patient and turn this thing around. 1 more year to see success is not too much to ask for.

If we have a down year recruiting this year it most likely be because of the fact we have only won 5 out of our last 35 as opposed to negativity.

I don't agree...if our recruiting is down this year it is because opposing coaches are telling prospects that Dodge won't be back next year...and could well be telling them to watch gmg.com for verification.

I don't agree...if our recruiting is down this year it is because opposing coaches are telling prospects that Dodge won't be back next year...and could well be telling them to watch gmg.com for verification.

So you believe that the negativity on this board will cause us to have a down recruiting more than our pitiful record and that opposing coaches will use that more than the record....interesting.

You might want to add Dodge press clippings as well. He did say he's not sure whether he'll back next year or not.

Gee, it's a shame that North Texas is the only school in the country with a board like this, and is the only school in the country with fans calling for the coach's head and telling the AD how to run the department. What an unlucky break for UNT that gmg.com is a bigger weapon for our opponents to wield in recruiting than losing thirty games in three years.

Bull S.

Sorry Oldtimer, but unless we are on the verge of signing the second coming of Joe Greene, Cedric Hardeman, Charles Young, Tony Elliott, Rex Johnson, Corbin Montgomery, or Booger Kennedy, I am not impressed.

Anyone with any football common sense could see that (in spite of the infusion of bulk from Mississippi and Lousiana this year) we were getting pushed around in the middle of the line in every game after Ohio. We need big lineman who are fierce rushers and SURE TACKLERS.

The same goes for any linebackers that we bring on board.

I know this doesn't sound right, but a study was conducted in the MAC about why players chose the school they selected. The winning record was not a major factor in the selection. I know this goes against common thinking, and it might not be true in teh Big 12, SEC, etc; however, the Sun Belt is more like the MAC than the big 6 conferences.

I know this doesn't sound right, but a study was conducted in the MAC about why players chose the school they selected. The winning record was not a major factor in the selection. I know this goes against common thinking, and it might not be true in teh Big 12, SEC, etc; however, the Sun Belt is more like the MAC than the big 6 conferences.

It does seem odd, but I noticed that from the two parents in my office who had sons looking for college football programs. Neither went to a D1 program (although one had verballed to Washington before Ty Willingham's firing ended that), but getting the college education (and that paid for) was the most important thing. There are really a lot more variables than the recent won-loss record that come into play. That said, I have noticed that young men who are recruited to play college football 1.) want to play, and 2.) want to be part of a winning team.

Do you know where you can read that study? Only because it would be interesting to see the reasons.....for instance the recruits may claim that the record of the school is not that important, but being on TV is important....well you have a much better chance of being on TV with 6-8 wins each year than 1-2 so though they may not say that record directly is a reason, it may in fact be an indirect reason.

Bull S.

I'm not saying this year isn't better than last year. I'm saying this year is hardly different from 2007 (two years ago). We had the chance to win lots of games that year (SMU, FAU, ULL, ULM, Navy, ASU) but didn't because of our defense or turnover proned QB. I'm not willing to settle for our third year to be this similar to our head coach's first.

It does seem odd, but I noticed that from the two parents in my office who had sons looking for college football programs. Neither went to a D1 program (although one had verballed to Washington before Ty Willingham's firing ended that), but getting the college education (and that paid for) was the most important thing. There are really a lot more variables than the recent won-loss record that come into play. That said, I have noticed that young men who are recruited to play college football 1.) want to play, and 2.) want to be part of a winning team.

I am sure there are many variables in the decision of players where to play and why. Some are so inclined toward certain programs they would take walk-on status over a full ride at another school. Many choose by simply comparing the offers, if multiple. Mostly it comes down to academic major available, location, position recruited for and amount of playing time and how soon, friends, facilities, conference, TV, and usually one of the top reasons: relationship with the coach doing the recruiting.

Guest GrayEagleOne

While winning may not be at the very top, it seems to me that it's pretty high up on the list of priorities. The coach and playing time are probably tops but winning should be a close third. In Vito's latest article, Tyler and Gilmore thought that the winning would continue and Bailey mentioned expecting a championship ring. For others it's the university, location, facilities and the fact that we are in Division 1-A. Even future schedules lure some.

Five seasons of losing 9 or more games will jaundice even the most staunch North Texas fan. It's hard to understand why we would want to risk a sixth but unless we have the committment from a highly-regarded coach it looks as if we gamble again. This time, it shouldn't be just improvement. There should be goals in wins and attendance that must be met.