Dodge Is 2010!

MeanGreenZen

A big reason Todd Dodge lost tonight was because of a freshman quarterback's freshman mistakes. The great thing about freshman quarterbacks is that they don't stay freshman quarterbacks. Riley Dodge will learn what throws he can make and what throws he can't make. He will learn when to pull the ball down and run and when to throw the ball away.

The Dodges deserve another season. They inherited a mess that was not an easy sell to recruits. The talent is now in place and Dodge finally has a product (stadium, facilities, etc..) that he can sell. Let's see what he can do with one more offseason. If he still has the stomach for the fight.

A big reason Todd Dodge lost tonight was because of a freshman quarterback's freshman mistakes. The great thing about freshman quarterbacks is that they don't stay freshman quarterbacks. Riley Dodge will learn what throws he can make and what throws he can't make. He will learn when to pull the ball down and run and when to throw the ball away.

The Dodges deserve another season. They inherited a mess that was not an easy sell to recruits. The talent is now in place and Dodge finally has a product (stadium, facilities, etc..) that he can sell. Let's see what he can do with one more offseason. If he still has the stomach for the fight.

So how do explain a coach who has supposedly mastered this offense and a QB who has grown up in the offense and still makes the same mistakes? Lofting 20 yd wounded ducks is just plain bad and the consistently bad playcalling is not worthy of another year.

Stop the DD bashing his gone and has been for 3 years, this is TD's mess and he is the one who has kept this team young through his decisions and no one else's.

So how do explain a coach who has supposedly mastered this offense and a QB who has grown up in the offense and still makes the same mistakes? Lofting 20 yd wounded ducks is just plain bad and the consistently bad playcalling is not worthy of another year.

Stop the DD bashing his gone and has been for 3 years, this is TD's mess and he is the one who has kept this team young through his decisions and no one else's.

No DD bashing here. DD was 2nd greatest coach in UNT history, in my opinion, behind Hayden Fry. Dodge did inherit a mess though, that is why I give him a pass on his first couple years. This year I figure he is starting new because only now is he in a position where he has the talent to win, but they just haven't learned how to close, the +/- on turnovers is killing them. He is a couple of coaching changes, a few tweaks here and there from delivering a bowl berth next season. To twist something Bill Parcells said: Hey, we've already suffered through all the pain. Are we going to quit right before Dodge shows us the baby?

Again, the chances of a coach winning or for that matter going .500 are so small it is probaby best to go ahead and make a change now.

No DD bashing here. DD was 2nd greatest coach in UNT history, in my opinion, behind Hayden Fry. Dodge did inherit a mess though, that is why I give him a pass on his first couple years. This year I figure he is starting new because only now is he in a position where he has the talent to win, but they just haven't learned how to close, the +/- on turnovers is killing them. He is a couple of coaching changes, a few tweaks here and there from delivering a bowl berth next season. To twist something Bill Parcells said: Hey, we've already suffered through all the pain. Are we going to quit right before Dodge shows us the baby?

DD was hardly a great coach, if he was he would have used his moment to build a team that could win out of conference, hell we could not even beat FAU when they were D1AA. If he had any greatness in him he would be head coach still. We did have other great coaches, you just have to go back further.

Edited by KingDL1

Fans are generally fickle to the core. I understand the desire to want the best for our team. We seem to forget that we were out

of most if not all the games by halftime or even the first quarter last year. We have been competetive in 7 games this year that have went down to the wire. I sure would have liked to have won a few of those, but that is not what has transpired. You have to remember where we were and where we are going. There is no moratorium(sp) on patience. We may have to be a bit more patient than we probably wanted to be. I think next year will be the spring board to learning how to win. I believe many of the mistakes being made will not be made due to being a year older. Let us support the team and be thankful for a hard working team that played hard until the bitter end. Great things will come with patient endurance.

Gmg

100% agree

The answer to your question is that the QB who grew up in the offense has never competed against teams complete with D1 speed. This is only his first year trying to get the ball into those smaller windows available at the D1 level. He can only get better. We are better than last year, that is clear.

Guest JohnDenver

I think RV will give TD another year to turn the corner and learn from his mistakes. If he doesn't turn the corner, then a new coach will open the new stadium. Next year will determine TDs ultimate fate as the Mean Green's head coach.

I agree with that line of thinking. A new coach, a new stadium, tons of buzz. I just don't think RV's hot headed-ness when it comes to FB head coaches will come out to play.

The answer to your question is that the QB who grew up in the offense has never competed against teams complete with D1 speed. This is only his first year trying to get the ball into those smaller windows available at the D1 level. He can only get better. We are better than last year, that is clear.

Listen, I can say with confidence that we all admire Riley for his courage, his determination and desire to succeed. Only a fool would question his character.

But, and I say this with regret, Riley is not a D1A QB. He lacks the size, height and "arm strength" to compete effectively at this level. Our gameplan will always be limited by these facts.

Riley is a great athlete to be sure but he is being played at the wrong position.

I will repeat what I've always said about DD, when his fans were talking about his (alleged) greatness. If he was so great, then why didn't the market recognize that greatness and then someone come along and hire him away from us right after the win over Cincinatti in the NO bowl. Which BTW, was our only win in four trips...... and after Cincinatti committed about 8 turnovers.

Edited by SilverEagle

I have to admit that I thought Dodge was going to be a good fit for this program. I agree with the comment about giving him a pass on the first couple of years due to what he inherited; however, the turnovers and mental collapse that occurs in the 4th quarter (5 games) cannot solely be blamed on players. My fear is that if Dodge is given 1 more year and its proven that he is not the man for the job we will have to open the new stadium with a new coach that will have not had time to develop his system.

We need an assistant from a big football program that is ready to make the leap to a head coaching job. We have alot to offer and too much to offer to consistently have a very bad football program. I have to say that it is almost too frustrating to watch, especially when you see other programs (South Florida, Cincinnati, TCU, etcc....) making significant progress.

GO MEAN GREEN!