Rick Villareal Should Not Be Allowed To Hire Our Next Hc

UNT_playmaker

If this was done last time, we would have had Jerry Glanville, Jim Harbaugh, Jimbo Fisher, and countless other qualified candidates to chose from, coaches from all over the nation and not only the local 5A football districts.

A few years back we hired the great Gene Stallings who still lives in the area to look at how bad our program was and what could be done to fix it. Get Gene Stallings in here, he would know what is best and what is needed and what we are lacking.

Experience counts....

Well North Texas BOR, heres your chance to fix a major problem, hire an outside consultant, believe me its worth every penny to analyze and interview your new football coach and the new assistants that will rebuild this thatered program.

Prevent this from ever happening again:

Todd Dodge: Do you mind if I bring all of my high school assistants with me up to Denton. :D

Rick Villareal: I don't see why not? B)

If this was done last time, we would have had Jerry Glanville, Jim Harbaugh, Jimbo Fisher, and countless other qualified candidates to chose from, coaches from all over the nation and not only the local 5A football districts.

A few years back we hired the great Gene Stallings who still lives in the area to look at how bad our program was and what could be done to fix it. Get Gene Stallings in here, he would know what is best and what is needed and what we are lacking.

Experience counts....

Well North Texas BOR, heres your chance to fix a major problem, hire an outside consultant, believe me its worth every penny to analyze and interview your new football coach and the new assistants that will rebuild this thatered program.

Todd Dodge: Do you mind if I bring all of my high school assistants with me up to Denton. :D

Well, aside from the standard consultant stereotypes; someone with a briefcase who spends the night in your office, someone from more than fifty miles away (or, according to my folks in Wichita Falls, someone from Dallas), I see a few potential problems with the general premise of the thread:

1. The Dallas Morning News reported today that the UNT System Board of Regents is moving its offices from Denton to Dallas.

2. Often there is a search committee for a head coaching hire; is this a new way of doing that?

3. Since the BOR will be in Dallas, and they would be in charge of hiring said consultant, (who might have nothing to do with UNT, such as Stallings), why would there be any concern about what anyone on the UNT Denton campus thought about the hire?

4. Are those currently in school being taught that hiring consultants to make major hires is a good idea?

RV has been fantastic for UNT athletics.

Anyone who is critical either has a short memory of what this place was like before he came, or just hasn't been around long enough to know.

Anyone notice we are building a new stadium?

Where is the credit for that?

And the 4 bowl games?

And the NCAA basketball tournament appearance?

So, it is "what have you done lately?, right?

And for Dodge, they have been very competitive this year with 18 of 22 starters as underclassmen.

He has turned over the roster and had to deal with academic problems that existed before he got here.

Maybe we could all try to see past the end of our nose?

All of those guys were mentioned as potential candidates and Harbaugh and Fisher did interview with RV so, technically, we did have those coaches to choose from...the problem is that most everyone on this board wanted Dodge. And, since RV reads this board, he gave everyone what they asked for.

Hiring a consultant isn't something new. In fact, Memphis just hired Lou Holtz to assist them in finding Tommy West's replacement.

All of those guys were mentioned as potential candidates and Harbaugh and Fisher did interview with RV so, technically, we did have those coaches to choose from...the problem is that most everyone on this board wanted Dodge. And, since RV reads this board, he gave everyone what they asked for.

Yeah, Harbaugh was gonna turn down the big bucks to play in the PAC-10 so he could come here to a bottom-of-the-barrel Sun Belt school, but RV made his coaching choice based on the opinions on this board. :rolleyes:

If they don't want to come here, which they didn't, then you don't really have them to choose from.

Hiring a consultant isn't something new. In fact, Memphis just hired Lou Holtz to assist them in finding Tommy West's replacement.

Harry, Here is the ticket to your suite at the new stadium. Call RV and offer the football forum as the consultant to the future of the UNT football program and let us say who the new coach should be.

We did not have chance at Fisher. He had the pick of coordinator jobs at the time, and certainly could have done better salary wise as a head coach at mid major on up. Plus, I think he knew he was going to Florida State anyway. As for Harbaugh, I do not know. Bottom line is Dodge was hired because he was what we could afford, and there was also no money for any college assistants much above high school level.

Harry, Here is the ticket to your suite at the new stadium. Call RV and offer the football forum as the consultant to the future of the UNT football program and let us say who the new coach should be.

We did not have chance at Fisher. He had the pick of coordinator jobs at the time, and certainly could have done better salary wise as a head coach at mid major on up. Plus, I think he knew he was going to Florida State anyway. As for Harbaugh, I do not know. Bottom line is Dodge was hired because he was what we could afford, and there was also no money for any college assistants much above high school level.

I'm sooooo sick of hearing how we don't have any money to hire a legitimate college coach I can't stand it. If we can't afford to hire a legitimate FBS football coach, then we might as well just throw in the towel and give up football altogether. I seriously doubt either of those two would have taken the time to fly to Denton and interview for the position if we had ZERO chance at coming to an agreement on compensation. Fisher had the better resume at the time, so I'm sure he would have commanded more money, but Harbaugh was still seeking his first HC job at an FBS school.

I'm sooooo sick of hearing how we don't have any money to hire a legitimate college coach I can't stand it. If we can't afford to hire a legitimate FBS football coach, then we might as well just throw in the towel and give up football altogether. I seriously doubt either of those two would have taken the time to fly to Denton and interview for the position if we had ZERO chance at coming to an agreement on compensation. Fisher had the better resume at the time, so I'm sure he would have commanded more money, but Harbaugh was still seeking his first HC job at an FBS school.

No matter how sick you are of hearing it, it's reality.

Our chances weren't likely zero, but 0.5% or 0.35%, somewhere in that range. Maybe RV was hoping that when he interviewed those guys, a big time donor would magically appear and offer to pay their salaries. The only shot we had is if NONE of the places these guys interviewed offered them jobs. Again, Iowa State, Tulane, Stanford, North Texas interviewed Harbaugh. Fisher was a successful coordinator a top program.

At least the Glanville stuff had some legs, because he was coming back to the game after a hiatus and ended up at Portland State. I mean, we could still probably get him, though I don't know how much good he'll be. He's not exactly setting the world on fire at PSU. And they actually pay him less than we do Dodge.

This line of thinking regarding RV just makes me laugh. Such nonsense that it should be on SNL with Michael Moore as the host. RV has done a very good job for UNT, and, I believe is still doing a great job. Football is not his only challenge. If you can't look at the overall picture and see just how far UNT has come under RV, well, you simply are not looking. Yes, I know, I tend to try to find the positives, but it certainly is not hard in the case of RV to do so. Like TD or not, there are times when an AD makes the call and it doesn't pan out as quickly as he would have liked or, for that matter, as fast as the fan base would have liked. All this speculation on who UNT 'should" have and/or "could have" hired is great for board discussion, but it is simply worthless in reality. Speculate all you want, but the constant we had money, we don't have money, could have had this hero (if he was so great why was he on the market at the time?0, should have hired this guy. Isn't Monday morning quarterbacking and coaching fun? Never make a bad call that way.

Seems to me that many of today's "great college coaches" have had some very rocky years in their careers...I like Lou Holtz (hey, UNT should have hired him.....), but seems he has a good many tough years on the resume too...I can go on and on with such names...including ex-NFL coaches that are now in the USFL (what do you call that new league?), coaching at colleges and there are plenty of ex-college coaches coaching HS now...and it goes the other way too. A "hot commodity" coach is like a "hot stock market tip"...it may be up and hot now, but past success does not guarantee future results.

Anyway, fun to read...not going to matter at all...TD and RV will be here next season. Let's see how that goes for TD. BUT, prior to that, the MEAN GREEN NATION needs to "suck it up" and fill Fouts field in support of the seniors on the team and in support of the young men who play for West Point and will one day very soon defend this great nation of ours.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Experience counts....

If you recall, Gene Stallings said we didn't need a new stadium....what BS....don't get me wrong, I like stallings and have heard him speak before...he is very good, but we don't need Gene to tell us what to do with our program. And you should give thanks everyday that RV came to UNT as our AD regardless of how TD works out....every year..year end and year out, colleges...ALL OF THEM...hire and fire coaches because they don't work out...it is no different at UNT than at UT, A&M and every other university in the US.....they have all had coaches that didn't work out....but RV has done a great job at UNT and if you don't think so you just have been around long enough to have prespective, because in the past it really sucked bad...real bad and now we can see light at the end of the tunnel....several years off but a new era is on its way.

No matter how sick you are of hearing it, it's reality.

Our chances weren't likely zero, but 0.5% or 0.35%, somewhere in that range. Maybe RV was hoping that when he interviewed those guys, a big time donor would magically appear and offer to pay their salaries. The only shot we had is if NONE of the places these guys interviewed offered them jobs. Again, Iowa State, Tulane, Stanford, North Texas interviewed Harbaugh. Fisher was a successful coordinator a top program.

At least the Glanville stuff had some legs, because he was coming back to the game after a hiatus and ended up at Portland State. I mean, we could still probably get him, though I don't know how much good he'll be. He's not exactly setting the world on fire at PSU. And they actually pay him less than we do Dodge.

Right, and that little-known school on I-35, just south of Austin, managed to hire a guy with two national championship appearances and one ring. But, I'm sure they have more money than poor little North Texas. Coker was making about $2 million a year, back 2005...I guess UTSA is paying him $4 million?? :rolleyes:

It's expectations. Out athletic department expects that no one will want to come here, and so they dumb down their search.

By the way, if Dodge had been out recruiting instead of coaching at Southlake through that title run, we might have had a more coherent 2007 signing class. But, we saw what was more important to him - Southlake over UNT.

By the way, if Dodge had been out recruiting instead of coaching at Southlake through that title run, we might have had a more coherent 2007 signing class. But, we saw what was more important to him - Southlake over UNT.

You are kidding, right? This is even "way out there" for you. I have to smile about this one...great comedy. Thanks TLF.

We couldn't afford Harbaugh and Fisher. They were asking for more than we could afford to pay. That is the bottom line. We wanted them but we couldn't get 'em.