Mean Green Men's Basketball Schedule Released

chrisfisher

So the home OOC games are: Cameron; Jackson State; Southeastern Louisiana; University of The Southwest; and Texas Southern.

'Nuff said.

Well how else is JJ going to get his 20 wins a year. Would be nice if he could start scheduling like soccer though- Texas Tech, Baylor, SMU, TCU, Ohio State, New Mexico State, etc............bring some of these teams in that soccer scheduled this year and we would pack the Super Pit.

So the home OOC games are: Cameron; Jackson State; Southeastern Louisiana; University of The Southwest; and Texas Southern.

'Nuff said.

university of Southwest comes unpleasent surprise. I thought we would have filled the last 2 with a SWAC , which we did and either another Southland or a DI Ind. No need IMO to have 2 NAIA schools on the schedule in the same year.

Baylor, SMU, and TCU won't fill crap. People don't even want to see them play at their own home arenas. I also wish we'd start refusing to play schools who don't offer a one and one. There's no reason Oklahoma State can't make the trip to Denton.

They did...we had to sign a 2 for 1. Remember we played them at home two seasons ago. This is the last game of the series.

Well how else is JJ going to get his 20 wins a year. Would be nice if he could start scheduling like soccer though- Texas Tech, Baylor, SMU, TCU, Ohio State, New Mexico State, etc............bring some of these teams in that soccer scheduled this year and we would pack the Super Pit.

First off road games at UT Arlington, Oklahoma State, Boise State, Texas A&M aren't exactly setting us for an easy 20 wins a year.

Next off, easier said than done.

Yeah, you're right; forgot about that. Still think we shouldn't do anything that isn't a one and one.

Maybe we get a return game from A & M. If not, it's time for us to stop playing Texas, A & M, and Arkansas---ONLY at their place. Hell, we've had Texas in the Pit three times. A & M gave us a home and home during the Jankovich era.

Anyway maybe the Ags are coming to Denton next year.

The marginal home games are offset by a very good OOC schedule with Rice, UT Arlington, Oklahoma State, Boise State, and Texas A&M in my opinion..... given the recent success of the past 3 years, the schedule is good enough that if we start off 8-0, which means we win all of those OOC games plus all those home games, we'll get votes or possibly be nationally ranked.

Well, the SuperPit, like Fouts, is such a dump that I can see why no one of any star power will come to the SuperPit....yes, I am being sarcastic. With such a good facility we are extremely timid in home scheduling. When will they ever learn? Or do they even give a damn. As I have said before, it's just basketball.

I would have to disagree slightly with the lack of pressure argument.

Did we get a lot of sacks??? No, but we did get in the backfield quite a bit, altering many pass plays by making the QB run around, causing several passes to be inaccurate.

Pressure doesn't have to be a ton of sacks...I do think the sacks will come, and in the end we need to have a lot more than 12 sacks as seaosn's end, but against Ball St., there was pressure on the QB

The OOC schedule SUCKS... Let me repeat that...SUCKS

Hugely disappointing. I was hoping to see at least 5000 at The Pit one time this year. Won't happen. Hopefully Texas A&M has a return game with us.

I probably won't go to a home game until conference play.

Boise, Rice, UTA, and possibly A&M should be here next year.

On top of our home games, I can drive to see Rice, OK State, A&M, UTA, and Houston Baptist. The only OOC game that isn't within there-and-back in the same day distance is Boise. A&M and HBU would require a 9-5 person to take a half day at work.

I wish this wasn't such a "bust" year in terms of getting good OOC opponents at home vs. on the road. But... All things considered, it could be worse.

Still... It makes me wonder how well we'll do in scheduling for football once the stadium excuse is eliminated. We seem to suck ass at getting people to come here compared to other schools in the SBC, both in football and basketball. Basketball venue isn't an excuse, but it doesn't seem to help the core problem of getting people in our barn. And others in the conference seem to be capable of pulling it off.

How are we playing a guarantee game against Boise State? lol. :lol: I'm sorry, but that's just straight up terrible scheduling. Not that anyone would really give a crap if the Broncos came to Denton, but to give a guarantee game to such a small time program is embarrassing.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

Geez, I believe this is the worst home schedule in the last fifty years. I would say it is unacceptable, but it obviously is not. I echo the statements above, why in the world would NT play an away game in Boise Idaho without a return. Makes no sense at all to play a game that puts the team at a distinct disadvantage because of the travel.

With a potentially very good team, and when slowly building support for the team, why would NT not make sure that you would at least have a couple of oc home games that actually might build a little interest. I thought a home and way with Sam Houston last year was ridiculous, but that would be the highlight of this home schedule. NT should be favorite in all their OC games with the big exception of the two Big Twelve clubs. However, NT can't beat UTA and the Boise game looks like a big problem.

Home schedule with last year record:

Cameron 14-13 Division 2

Jackson State 18-15

U. of Southwest 9-22 NAIA

Southeastern La 13-17

Texas Southern 7-25

Away schedule:

UTA 16-14

Oklahoma St 23-12

Boise St 19-13

Rice 10-22

A & M 24-10

Houston Baptist 5-25

How are we playing a guarantee game against Boise State? lol. :lol: I'm sorry, but that's just straight up terrible scheduling. Not that anyone would really give a crap if the Broncos came to Denton, but to give a guarantee game to such a small time program is embarrassing.

At least it's a NAME that people will recognize, even if it's not for basketball. But we won't be getting them at home... Instead, we're getting an NAIA team, two D-2 teams, 2 SWAC teams, and Southland powerhouse Southeastern Louisiana. They had 13 wins last year, and they haven't made it out of the first round of the Southland Tournament in any of the past four years.

Who's the opponent that's going to draw in casual fans? Texas Southern? God help us if we get an announcer with "North Texas State" disease, because they might accidentally revert to calling them Houston College for Negroes. I don't think that'll go over well. Nor will it go over well for our RPI, given that they've only won 7 games each of the past two seasons, and they haven't finished above .500 in 5 years.

Thank goodness I can drive to see some decent games with North Texas in them... Because I sure as hell won't be seeing them at the Super Pit.

I was willing to just grin and bear it when I thought we'd be seeing a phenomenal OOC schedule at home next year... But this? This is what we're offering fans at home?

I'd say this home schedule is a joke, but there's nothing funny about it.

At least it's a NAME that people will recognize, even if it's not for basketball.

Some people may recognize Boise State more than, um, yeah... Bringing Boise State into Denton would be no different than bringing in Northern Illinois. On top of that we're handing over a guarantee game to a school that is at our same level in basketball. That just blows my mind.

Who's the opponent that's going to draw in casual fans? Texas Southern? God help us if we get an announcer with "North Texas State" disease, because they might accidentally revert to calling them Houston College for Negroes.

Post of the day. :lol:

Some people may recognize Boise State more than, um, yeah... Bringing Boise State into Denton would be no different than bringing in Northern Illinois. On top of that we're handing over a guarantee game to a school that is at our same level in basketball. That just blows my mind.

My point is that if I asked a casual sports fan what they think of Boise State, they probably still remember their football win over Oklahoma, and consider their sports programs to be respectable. Northern Illinois... At least most people might recognize them as an actual D-1 school, even if their name isn't as recognizable as Boise State.

If I went into a sports bar tomorrow night and asked every person I saw to correctly categorize Texas Southern, Jackson State, Newman, University of the Southwest, Southeastern Louisiana, and Cameron as either Southland, SWAC, D-2, or NAIA... How long would it take before someone could guess them all correctly?

Hell, last year, Midwestern State University had home games against University of the Southwest, Dallas Baptist, Texas A&M-Commerce, and Southeastern Oklahoma. And they're a Division 2 team in WICHITA FALLS. If you put our OOC schedule next to those games, how many people could guess which schedule belonged to which school?

Unless you're talking to a SWAC alum or a D-2 basketball junkie... Our home schedule this year is basically indistinguishable from most of D-2 MSU's schedule from last year.

This is bad. This is not good.