Obama To Speak To School Kids

OK, so I'm hearing all this talk about Obama going to talk directly to school kids through TV hook-ups in schools about staying in school, being responsible for getting their school work done, etc., etc. OK, I'm thinking no big deal. This has been done before...I recall the first Pres. Bush doing the same thing discussing illegal drug use or something like that...Then I start hearing the folks start shouting "foul"...we can't let this happen. What? Now, most folks on this board know I lean just a tad to the right on most any issue relating to politics...but, I am having a difficult time finding any issue with this. He IS the president of the United States. Like him or hate him, he IS the president. A sitting president with a live broadcast into the public schools...pretty cool I'm thinking.

OK, yes, it should be 100% non-partisan, he should stick 100% to the announced topic (staying in school, being responsible, etc.)...with no even veiled suggestions regarding health care or any other of the day's hot political issues, and he should keep it short...none of those rambling things he does when he is in a set up press conference, etc. If he does that, and the schools are not then all going to tell the students to write an essay on how they can "help the president"...yes, this message has been sent to the schools by the administration as a "suggested" assignment....then i say "go for it". When i was in public school I would have loved to have seen a sitting president speak directly to us...and, yes, they did have television when I was in school.

BUT, you know all the late night comedy guys would already be writing their scripts IF this was the then President George W. Bush who was going to speak directly to the public schools on ANY issue. let's see if that happens to Mr. Obama...I sincerely doubt it.

What say you...I think it's pretty cool (if he plays "fair" and that's a VERY big if with this administration).

Stupid topic wheel.

Kram - there was discussion of this on the radio this morning. No one is taking a shot at you - before you get mad.

And, just why would I get mad????? The board and responses may disappoint me at times, but they certainly don't make me mad...not worth the effort getting mad over. Opinions are just that "opinions" and absolutely worth what you pay for them...everyone has them... Besides, all are Mean Green fans at heart, right?

Is it a problem that I missed a discussion on the radio about this topic? The radio dial has several choices the last time I looked, so maybe others missed it too...sorry you don't like the subject matter. I am sure you have much more important things to discuss....but, perhaps someone else might have an opinion. I was simply looking for what other Mean Green and GMG.com fans think about it. No charge for admission to the thread and no requirement that anyone respond.

GO MEAN GREEN.

And, just why would I get mad????? The board and responses may disappoint me at times, but they certainly don't make me mad...not worth the effort getting mad over. Opinions are just that "opinions" and absolutely worth what you pay for them...everyone has them... Besides, all are Mean Green fans at heart, right?

Is it a problem that I missed a discussion on the radio about this topic? The radio dial has several choices the last time I looked, so maybe others missed it too...sorry you don't like the subject matter. I am sure you have much more important things to discuss....but, perhaps someone else might have an opinion. I was simply looking for what other Mean Green and GMG.com fans think about it. No charge for admission to the thread and no requirement that anyone respond.

GO MEAN GREEN.

Well - good thing we headed that off at the pass and you got what you needed to out of that.

But,

Go Mean Green!

Edited by Quoner
  • Downvote 1

Will the leader of the Republican Party get time after Obama's speech, you know, like on the TV speeches? Maybe promises of extended recesses, two chocolate milks at lunch, and off campus lunches for high school freshmen and sophmores?

So stupid is this. Kids watching some guy they don't know telling them to stay in school. Just a waste of school time, but whatever.

We got to watch Electric Company sometimes when I was in school.

Man, some of the psycadelic crap on that show freaked me out.

On the topic at hand, I dont care about him addressing students and getting them to be responsible. However, having students do homework and write papers about how they can help him, how would they feel if he was there, etc is pure propaganda. If Bush would have done that there would have been hell to pay. Getting high school students to do that kind of "schoolwork" does one thing, brainwash first time voters. All he is trying to do is secure their vote because he sees that his approval numbers are slipping. Before anyone slams me for this, ask yourself why he didnt do anything of the like when he first took office. School was in session then.

Will the leader of the Republican Party get time after Obama's speech, you know, like on the TV speeches? Maybe promises of extended recesses, two chocolate milks at lunch, and off campus lunches for high school freshmen and sophmores?

So stupid is this. Kids watching some guy they don't know telling them to stay in school. Just a waste of school time, but whatever.

I think it might be aimed more at HS and Jr. High/Middle School aged kids. If this group doesn't know who the guy talking to them is this nation really does have BIG challenges.... <_<

I think it might be aimed more at HS and Jr. High/Middle School aged kids. If this group doesn't know who the guy talking to them is this nation really does have BIG challenges.... <_<

They don't care. And, ya, most probably would not know who he is.

Didn't know about the homework and the "support Pres. Obama" papers. If true, that is absolutely political indoctrination. But, who is really suprised by that. The liberals have been in control of the education system for the last 30 years. If anything, it is redundant.

Heck, let them do it. The students will be so peeved about the homework and paper assignments that they'll never vote for a Democrat when they grow up. :D

They don't care. And, ya, most probably would not know who he is.

Didn't know about the homework and the "support Pres. Obama" papers. If true, that is absolutely political indoctrination. But, who is really suprised by that. The liberals have been in control of the education system for the last 30 years. If anything, it is redundant.

Heck, let them do it. The students will be so peeved about the homework and paper assignments that they'll never vote for a Democrat when they grow up. :D

I dont know if its confirmed, but it was reported by several media outlets. Of course, obamas people are denying it.

Ok, Jedi Master UNT90!

I would be fine with RNC Chairman Michael Steele image640088g.jpg speaking to kids. But many children view Rush Limbaugh rush-limbaugh.jpg as the leader of the Republican party. And I would not want this Oxycontin Addict speaking to children about staying in school and saying no to drugs.

Edited by GreenBat
  • Downvote 1

I personally have a Black and Decker Ten-Speed...and while I like it alot for use in cold blending, I have had to replace the glass twice as it has cracked in the process of making soup...I thought I learned from my mistake the second time around and let it cool considerably more than previously, but alas, another crack.

I personally have a Black and Decker Ten-Speed...and while I like it alot for use in cold blending, I have had to replace the glass twice as it has cracked in the process of making soup...I thought I learned from my mistake the second time around and let it cool considerably more than previously, but alas, another crack.

I got fancy, and a little drunk at the state fair two years ago, and I bought a Vita-Mix. The thing is amazing, it will boil water, make peanut butter from raw peanuts, the damn thing is so fast it will even turn a tire into liquid ... something! Absolutely amazing for Margaritas and other sissy summer drinks etc. Unfortunately while making those summer drinks between myself, my brother, my gf and my father we apparently lifted the pitcher up to fast and too often while the gears were still turning... we stripped the damn gears. Now all i have is an expensive noise maker that takes up way to much space. I keep thinking i can fix it but I can't find parts and it really isn't worth it is suppose...

I miss that thing.

...and while I like it alot for use in...

Please, please CBL, tell me that you haven't fallen victim to this dreaded alot affliction that has been sweeping through gomeangreen.com like a pandemic. Formerly affecting only playmaker and a few other alot disciples, this has spread like wildfire since the the Green Gang adopted it as their special gift to the literary challenged during each chat.

And for those of you that can only view this note as a high altitude contrail, A Lot is two separate words.

Guest JohnDenver

I will not be signing my sons permission slip to listen, now my wife I can not control her.

If not for the documents posted and since removed by Education Department it would have been no brainer yes.

That is pretty selfish move on your part. I remember Reagan talking politics with the children in a special press conference setup.. and we watched it in school. It thought it was so cool to see the president of the US talking to us at our level. As you can tell, it didn't indoctrinate me to the GOP. It would have been selfish of my mother to opt me out of it. It is a good memory.

When I was in high school Bush came and spoke at my high school, DURING school, and we all got to go to the auditorium to listen to him. Kay Baily Hutch came to speak as well.. Oh my.

It is no big deal.

Besides, it isn't a good lesson to kids to tell them they can just choose not to listen to authority when they just don't feel like it. He is, after all, the POTUS.

I also remember Reagan speaking to us, and it didn't indoctrinate me to the GOP, but then again, Obama's from Illinois, not Texas, so I can't possibly see anybody giving a rat's ass about it.

pretty sure Regan is from Illinois, too.

My roommate was making margaritas the other day and they kept ending up soupy. I was like, you have to put in more ice. Ice is the key to getting an even, consistent blend throughout. Having a good blender also helps.

Go Mean Green!

My roommate was making margaritas the other day and they kept ending up soupy. I was like, you have to put in more ice. Ice is the key to getting an even, consistent blend throughout. Having a good blender also helps.

Go Mean Green!

I can't drink margaritas of any consistency. Besides, I prefer a good Boston cocktail shaker to a good blender.