How Many Yards Does Riley Pass For

NT03

Riley is very accurate with the short passing game. In the last scrimage, I believe Riley was 41 of 49, which is

amazing for even a scrimage game. Riley seems almost automatic with the short passing game.

For the total passing yards, I voted 150-175, for the dink and dunk short passing attack.

The key to big passing numbers is this. The yards after catch. The staff has been working drills with the WR's and TE's, to break tackles and turn a short 5yd pass into a big gainer.

Michael Outlaw, Jamaal Jackson and now, Darius Carey, have 4.4 speed. BJ Lewis, is in the 4.5 range. Alex Lott

and Willie Taylor have speed too, and can break away. Chris Brainard is quick. If Breece Johnson can

get back on the field, Johnson is a proven go to guy.

TE/WR's Forest Rucker, Sam Roberson, Bryant Seidle, Austin Fitzpatrick- are big targets, and suprisingly fast.

If any of the WR's/TE's can break a short pass route into a 20-30-40yd pass play, the passing yards can add up

quickly. Hit 5 big gainers, for example, 25yds each, will add another 125 yds.

If Riley gains 175yds on dinks and dunks, add another 125yds on big gainer plays, then Riley is at 300yds. Pretty darn good for total passing yardage.

I want to see the yards after catch, turn into Touchdowns. I believe this group of WR's and TE's will make the short passing game turn into big passing numbers, and touchdowns, for Riley.

I'll say that Riley comes out a bit nervous and throws a first quarter pick. The settles down and has a very nice day at 220 yards and two TD's. First game at the helm of a D-1 program, away game, lots of pressure being the first game, etc., etc. So a little nervousness is to be expected even for one of the best QB's to ever come out of the State of Texas. Don't know about the rushing yardage as I think he will try to "wing it out". I think gangrene may be pretty near the mark with his prediction of 56 yards. I hope it's well below 100 as that would mean to me that he is getting plenty of time to throw and is thinking "throw first, run second" and not the other way around. And, will tell me that he will handle the rush and pressure just fine.

GO MEAN GREEN...BEAT BALL STATE!!!!

I hope I am not giving away secrets to the enemy. I watched Riley and Todd at SLC to see what thebig fuss wasabout. For 2.5qtrs, all they did was hit short routes for small yards, an occational broken tackle for more yards, not a lot of points. pulled th defense intight. about half way through the 3rd qrt...boomlots of adjustments to routes totake them deeper 20+ yds on the runand all of the sudden tons of yds and points. I bet they scored more points in the 4th qtr than all other atrsput together....that wasmy observation....

I'll say that Riley comes out a bit nervous and throws a first quarter pick. The settles down and has a very nice day at 220 yards and two TD's. First game at the helm of a D-1 program, away game, lots of pressure being the first game, etc., etc. So a little nervousness is to be expected even for one of the best QB's to ever come out of the State of Texas. Don't know about the rushing yardage as I think he will try to "wing it out". I think gangrene may be pretty near the mark with his prediction of 56 yards. I hope it's well below 100 as that would mean to me that he is getting plenty of time to throw and is thinking "throw first, run second" and not the other way around. And, will tell me that he will handle the rush and pressure just fine.

GO MEAN GREEN...BEAT BALL STATE!!!!

When do you think he'd be more nervous - first qtr of QBing his first college game or HS State Championship? I bet the State Championship game was a bigger deal. (And in front of a larger stadium audience.) He'll be fine.

Edited by adman

best, as in top-50?

That's a heck of a list to try and populate. And sports debates about "all time greats" is impossible. Athletes even 10 years ago are apples to today's oranges.

It doesn't mean the conversation doesn't come up. What do you go by? Stats, W-L record, state championships, and accolades.

His junior year, Riley threw for 4184 yards and 54 TDs (tied for 3rd all-time in Texas history). He also rushed for 1119 yards and 13 TDs. And the guy won about a zillion games. How many quarterbacks have won as many games--big games--as he did? He won a 5-A state championship. He was a Parade All-American, and had too many other accolades to list here.

One could disagree that Riley belongs among the best in Texas high school football history, but there is definitely a case to be made. I don't think it's remotely hyperbolic.

You don't think Riley ranks as one of the best QB's ever to play the HS game in Texas? Really?

In a word, no.

Vince Young

Chase Daniel

Colt McCoy

James Battle (we're talking high school)

Greg McElroy

Pick a Texas Tech QB from the last decade

Stephen McGee

Matthew Stafford

Robert Griffin

Jerrod Johnson

Jevan Snead

Garrett Gilbert

Every one of these guys is from the last 5-10 (so I'm not even including the Sammy Baughs and James Streets of the world)...and I would take any of them over Riley. Not purposefully attempting to knock Riley, I'm sure he will do a good job, but he's not in the upper echelon of high school QB's in Texas history. Not unless you consider "one of the best QB's to ever play HS ball in Texas" to be cracking the top 50 or so all-time.

Additionally, when you make the argument that someone is among the best all-time you've gotta ask whether he is among the best solely at his position and not as far as whether he won a lot of state titles or awards. What I mean is, if I gave you the choice of 10 other players and told you that you could plug them into Riley's spot on those SLC teams, would the results be the same or better?

Edited by emmitt01

Additionally, when you make the argument that someone is among the best all-time you've gotta ask whether he is among the best solely at his position and not as far as whether he won a lot of state titles or awards. What I mean is, if I gave you the choice of 10 other players and told you that you could plug them into Riley's spot on those SLC teams, would the results be the same or better?

Now you are getting into ridiculous hypotheticals. When one asks, "Who is the greatest NFL QB of all time?", nobody tries to come up with hypotheticals. The question is, "What did they do?" Brady, Bradshaw, and Montana won Super Bowls, so they are among the all-time greats. Marino and Manning are/were stat machines. You don't say, "Well, if Jeff George would have played with the 70s Steelers, he would have won 5 Super Bowls." So, with these HS QBs, what did they do? Riley compares favorably to every QB on this list, all of whom are great players.

Now you are getting into ridiculous hypotheticals. When one asks, "Who is the greatest NFL QB of all time?", nobody tries to come up with hypotheticals. The question is, "What did they do?" Brady, Bradshaw, and Montana won Super Bowls, so they are among the all-time greats. Marino and Manning are/were stat machines. You don't say, "Well, if Jeff George would have played with the 70s Steelers, he would have won 5 Super Bowls." So, with these HS QBs, what did they do? Riley compares favorably to every QB on this list, all of whom are great players.

So I take it Trent Dilfer should be Canton bound?

I think you got my argument backwards. I think youve gotta look at a QB based on his tools for the position and not just accolades. Nobody is arguing that Riley isn't a great QB...there is also a reason why "one of the best all-time" was recruited as an athlete, and it ain't all his height.

So I take it Trent Dilfer should be Canton bound?

I think you got my argument backwards. I think youve gotta look at a QB based on his tools for the position and not just accolades. Nobody is arguing that Riley isn't a great QB...there is also a reason why "one of the best all-time" was recruited as an athlete, and it ain't all his height.

So, who is comparing apples to oranges now? You cannot use "recruited as an athlete" in the discussion of his HIGH SCHOOL career. I will stand by my assumption that Riley can and should be rated as one of the best QB's to play HS football in Texas, and I think he would compare pretty darn favorable with every QB you have on your list...all of which were great Texas HS QB's...no argument there.

So, who is comparing apples to oranges now? You cannot use "recruited as an athlete" in the discussion of his HIGH SCHOOL career. I will stand by my assumption that Riley can and should be rated as one of the best QB's to play HS football in Texas, and I think he would compare pretty darn favorable with every QB you have on your list...all of which were great Texas HS QB's...no argument there.

He played wideout his first two years.

Emmitt,

Dude, the rubber is about to meet the road for those who think Riley is an FBS-level college QB. Just let time settle it. It's yet another experiment foisted upon us by the high school-level offensive coaching staff that still infests our alma mater's football program.

Just be thankful for the new defensive line coach and the shift of the special teams to the watch of a college coach. They'll be bailing out Dodge all season long.

Emmitt,

Dude, the rubber is about to meet the road for those who think Riley is an FBS-level college QB. Just let time settle it. It's yet another experiment foisted upon us by the high school-level offensive coaching staff that still infests our alma mater's football program.

Just be thankful for the new defensive line coach and the shift of the special teams to the watch of a college coach. They'll be bailing out Dodge all season long.

Counting on defense to save this season? Not a wise approach.

Counting on defense to save this season? Not a wise approach.

Perhaps not. But it's going to have to if we want to win any games.

In other news, I just got back from the future. Riley threw for 212 with a late TD and a pair if INTs. Also, we only win 4 games however we were close in just as many more so optimism will be high going into 2011. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but such is the heavy burden of life as the sole possessor of a time machine.

Also, methinks being a great HS QB doesn't necessarily translate to being a good College QB any more than being a good College QB translates to being a worthwhile pro.

whaaaaaaaaaat uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup