A Common Enemy

Shuke-D

Howdy all. I think I've found a certain type of person we can all agree to hate, regardless of our political affiliation. A friend of mine (an Aggie) forwarded

me a Facebook poll "Which Texas College do you Prefer." I was pleased that it listed UNT (well, Eagles, so I'm assuming it's UNT) as an option. I put in my vote, then started scrolling through the comments section. Page 2, I ran into this little cyber-douchery. Mods, if I'm really screwing the pooch by outing this guy, delete my post and ban me appropriately. I don't mind. It will have been worth it:

"Jack Keith Williams7:37 pm

Eagles? As in North Texas? I can't believe they are an option. Yeah, I'm UNT alumni but I can't help it... I've been a UT fan since I was a kid!"

I don't know how to properly post FB links, so here's what I have in case any of you want to go add your votes for us (or if someone can link it properly, go ahead and fix it for me). We're WAY behind:

http://apps.facebook.com/realpolls/results/yug4soczm

"Jack Keith Williams7:37 pm

Eagles? As in North Texas? I can't believe they are an option. Yeah, I'm UNT alumni but I can't help it... I've been a UT fan since I was a kid!"

That is just sad, isn't it? I have no problem with the guy being a UT fan, but to post what he did regarding his own university, well, that's just bad...and reflects poorly on him...not UNT. :angry:

Went to the OU game in 2003 (??). Was talking to 3 guys decked out in OU gear just outside the stadium. 2 of the guys start making fun of the third, telling me he was a North Texas alum. Did he go to OU for grad school? No. Did he go to OU for Law School? No. He just liked OU. Keep in mind OU was playing his ALMA MATER!!!! I let him have it pretty good, while his 2 buddies stood by laughing at him. So sad.

A college buddy of mine has UT stuff all over his walls and constantly wears a UT cap, no matter how much crap I give him. Some people will always be front runners. You know the type, usually the same guys who suck up at work and brag about stuff they have never accomplished.

I have absolutely no problem with someone cheering for whichever team they choose for whatever their reason may be (unless it’s SMU – just kidding, even that’s OK in my book). Probably 50% of UT fans never attended Texas, yet they feel a deep emotional bond with the school because they watched them growing up, or maybe a family member attended. Maybe they wanted to go and couldn’t afford it, or maybe their skin was the wrong color, or maybe they were relocated to Austin (because of a job and now have a sense of Texas pride)??? Point is – it doesn’t really matter the reason, you don’t have to be a former student to cheer for or...wait for it.....donate money to a certain school of your choosing. If that was the case, we’d be about $1.5 MM lighter in the athletic budget. I think too many people get caught up in who/why people cheer for Texas (Texas Tech fans are especially bad about it). Maybe it’s jealousy, I don’t know. I certainly wouldn’t discourage anyone that wanted to root for UNT from doing so simply because he/she never attended our university.

Now...this little bit about belittling the university you did attend (again, for whatever reason), is totally unacceptable and Craig Miller-ish. I’ll agree that that kind of attitude is becoming of someone who is trying a little too hard to be accepted by a crowd to which he does not belong. The douchebag label is appropriate.

I have absolutely no problem with someone cheering for whichever team they choose for whatever their reason may be (unless it’s SMU – just kidding, even that’s OK in my book). Probably 50% of UT fans never attended Texas, yet they feel a deep emotional bond with the school because they watched them growing up, or maybe a family member attended. Maybe they wanted to go and couldn’t afford it, or maybe their skin was the wrong color, or maybe they were relocated to Austin (because of a job and now have a sense of Texas pride)??? Point is – it doesn’t really matter the reason, you don’t have to be a former student to cheer for or...wait for it.....donate money to a certain school of your choosing. If that was the case, we’d be about $1.5 MM lighter in the athletic budget. I think too many people get caught up in who/why people cheer for Texas (Texas Tech fans are especially bad about it). Maybe it’s jealousy, I don’t know. I certainly wouldn’t discourage anyone that wanted to root for UNT from doing so simply because he/she never attended our university.

Now...this little bit about belittling the university you did attend (again, for whatever reason), is totally unacceptable and Craig Miller-ish. I’ll agree that that kind of attitude is becoming of someone who is trying a little too hard to be accepted by a crowd to which he does not belong. The douchebag label is appropriate.

This.

Nothing wrong with cheering for the team you grew up cheering for, even if you went somewhere else. Good college teams build fan bases that extend past their alumni; and that is what we need to do. I look forward to the day when the stands at Kyle Field and DKR Memorial Stadium are filled with "North Texas douches."

Now...this little bit about belittling the university you did attend (again, for whatever reason), is totally unacceptable and Craig Miller-ish.

Yet, how many of our very own here continue to help the Douches in their cause by continueing to listen to them on The Ticket? I'm proud to say I haven't listened to that station since the middle 90's, and never will again.

Rick

I have a lot of problems with NT alums latching on the UT and OU's of the world and acting like the NT's teams either don't exist or are an embarrassment to these great fans. I appreciate the fans that stand up and are counted as supporters of their universities' sports regardless of the level of play or the success of those institutions. It is easy to be a fan of UT, you are bombarded by the media hype, they are as close to a pro team that is allowed, and they top of the mountain in athletic excess.

I appreciate that many if not most alums could not care less about sports in general, but it is the ones who are rabid fans just not of their own institution that bug me. They come in two types. One, the front runners that have to be with a winner no matter how little actual connection they have with that school. Hey my team can beat you and I will savor it, no matter that my team as ten times the resources and usually insists on as uneven a playing field as allowed. Second, and even worse are the cowards that apparently can't take the heat of supporting a losing program or even a winning one that is not in the top echelon of teams.

These people will never go away. They're the kids who drop their friends in favor of the "in" crowd in high school. They're the guys/gals who only truly fall in love with the person they're dating when their friends deem them "hot." Texas douche has to make up for his little pee pee somehow.

Yet, how many of our very own here continue to help the Douches in their cause by continueing to listen to them on The Ticket? I'm proud to say I haven't listened to that station since the middle 90's, and never will again.

Rick

But what do you do about Dunham? He is maybe the single biggest NT homer there is. And you are punishing him because of Junior and his irrational love of OU.

Rick

"That is SO ridiculous."

Rick

Where did your parents go to school?

When does he do this? Maybe because I wake up around 9 or 10, I don't hear him do this. Is it outright UNT bashing or just OU loving?

Also, when I got see UT this year, I will be a North Texas Douche. Promise, guys. Cross my heart and hope to get drunk.

When does he do this? Maybe because I wake up around 9 or 10, I don't hear him do this. Is it outright UNT bashing or just OU loving?

Also, when I got see UT this year, I will be a North Texas Douche. Promise, guys. Cross my heart and hope to get drunk.

Get ready for some really confused looks and people mumbling "Mean Green, what college is that?, It is a college somewhere, right?" At least that is what I got last Sept when I was down there for a tailgate and game.

Get ready for some really confused looks and people mumbling "Mean Green, what college is that?, It is a college somewhere, right?" At least that is what I got last Sept when I was down there for a tailgate and game.

This being my senior year II: the sequel, I am used to it by now. My boss is a Texas Douche and he likes to make snide remarks about UNT. Like last year when we all went to the UT-Ark game, ".. This is the new part of our stadium, where they expanded it, .. blah blah blah... Hey Adam (that's me) how many people does ya'll's stadium hold (snicker)?"

Tis okay. I get him back when talking about how I am his IT/HR/Marketing/ most important guy there, and say "what's the matter dude? They didn't teach ya'll that at Texas?"

This being my senior year II: the sequel, I am used to it by now. My boss is a Texas Douche and he likes to make snide remarks about UNT. Like last year when we all went to the UT-Ark game, ".. This is the new part of our stadium, where they expanded it, .. blah blah blah... Hey Adam (that's me) how many people does ya'll's stadium hold (snicker)?"

Tis okay. I get him back when talking about how I am his IT/HR/Marketing/ most important guy there, and say "what's the matter dude? They didn't teach ya'll that at Texas?"

I like how that sort of person takes credit for their team like they actually played the game. Ugh.

Next time starts that crap tell him about your favorite class you've taken at NT...then ask him which was his favorite at UT.