Spread Offense

Will to Win

Interesting read on ESPN about spread offenses.

Guess what year the spread offense was born? and who conjured it up?

link

Seems like I heard someone doing this:

"Spread offenses also have changed the ways teams are playing defense. Bigger safeties have become linebackers, and linebackers have become defensive ends. Defensive coordinators are trying to get as much speed on the field to slow down spread attacks."

These articles just underscore what many of us already knew when Todd Dodge was hired - the spread offense isn't new or innovative anymore. The only place it was new was on our campus. Defensive coaches at the collegiate level had already seen it for decades.

Therefore, he and his band of high school sideline strollers weren't going to be showing guys like Bob Stoops, Les Miles, Howard Schnellenberger, etc. - anything they hadn't seen before...over and over and over again, year after year after year. Heck, even the new guy at FIU had it figured, beating us in his first year to end the school's 26 game losing streak, then flying out here to pound the crap out of us last year in front of friends, family, and neighbors.

Thankfully, we've started to pay attention to what really matters - defense. That side of the ball is what will save or stew Todd Dodge, not his tired old spread offense that he dragged out of high school and put other high school coaches in charge of. If his bacon is to be saved it'll be done by Deloach and Nelson.

His bacon, I say! The defense will save it!

"Spread offenses also have changed the ways teams are playing defense. Bigger safeties have become linebackers, and linebackers have become defensive ends. Defensive coordinators are trying to get as much speed on the field to slow down spread attacks."

Jimmy Johnson was doing this in Miami in the 1980's and brought the same mindset to Dallas--where he was roundly laughed at for playing "a bunch of little guys". His defenses were all about speed. Speed, speed, speed. It's evolving, but it isn't new. Even on defense.

Sometimes these writers crack me up.

QUOTE(adman @ Jul 21 2009, 08:02 AM) *

Bigger safeties have become linebackers, and linebackers have become defensive ends. Defensive coordinators are trying to get as much speed on the field to slow down spread attacks."

haven't we moved Jeremy Phillips from FS to LB and Brandon Akpunku LB to DE? We will be a faster defense; smaller but faster.

haven't we moved Jeremy Phillips from FS to LB and Brandon Akpunku LB to DE? We will be a faster defense; smaller but faster.

I've seen a few different preseason magazines that have Akpunku penciled in as our starting DE. Anyone else worried about starting 6'1 205pd DE ?

Edited by NT03

I've seen a few different preason magazines that have Akpunku penciled in as our starting DE. Anyone else worried about starting 6'1 205pd DE ?

Only if we played a power running team or pro style offense. Since hardly anyone runs either style a speedy end might be a good change.

Edited by Got5onIt

I've seen a few different preseason magazines that have Akpunku penciled in as our starting DE. Anyone else worried about starting 6'1 205pd DE ?

I think that he is weighing in over 205 at this point. Yes he will be undersized, but he is one of the strongest players on the team.

On a side note, I'm looking forward to the Washington? kid from Cedar Hill. He is going to bring some speed in helping to attack the QB. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some PT this year.

Speaking of spread offenses and quirky schemes. I think we should run this .

more.

even more

I know that the better athletes you have, the better your defense will be no matter the scheme. Still, I think it would be easier to find tweener guys with relative speed, than prototypical guys who fit the 4-3 or even 3-4.

Any team with a decent offensive line and running back will kill you up the gut with quick hitting leads, dives, & belly plays. OSU can run it because they have DB's as big & strong as LBers, with Lbers as big & strong as DLineman with DB speed. Same goes for the Vikings. These players can hold their own at the point of attack. I think the 4-3 is the best & safest base defense for almost any team...

Any team with a decent offensive line and running back will kill you up the gut with quick hitting leads, dives, & belly plays. OSU can run it because they have DB's as big & strong as LBers, with Lbers as big & strong as DLineman with DB speed. Same goes for the Vikings. These players can hold their own at the point of attack. I think the 4-3 is the best & safest base defense for almost any team...

How about you two compromise and run a 4-2-5?

How about you two compromise and run a 4-2-5?

A 4 2 5 with 4 4 guys

* How do you & Tasty's name never show up on the main page of active users when your on. I don't get it , I just don't get. It's like your under someone's cover.

Edited by NT03

Please explain why starting Brandon Akpunku, AKA "AK47" is ridiculous.

DL Coach Mike Nelson must know know what he is doing, so please explain.

I really want to hear your reasoning.

w376.jpg

In case you need help getting down from that horse, I've got this ladder you can borrow.

I personally don't agree that it's "ridiculous", but I do think it's peculiar that we're talking about starting a converted LB who will be at a significant size disadvantage.

With Gilmore, Mack Cole, Charlie Brown, and Sam Owusu-Hemeng already on the roster, and with John Weber on the way... All of them upperclassmen, all of them being at least 3-4 inches and/or 30-40 pounds larger than Akpunku... It does indeed seem strange that Akpunku is being talked about as a starter on the D-line.

It's DeLoach and Nelson, so I'm obviously inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. But it does make me scratch my head.

I'm eager to see Akpunku reward DeLoach and Nelson for their confidence in him by performing up to their expectations on the field.

Please explain why starting Brandon Akpunku, AKA "AK47" is ridiculous.

DL Coach Mike Nelson must know know what he is doing, so please explain.

I really want to hear your reasoning.

This is the same HC & DC who lead a squad that gave up 571 points last year. To question anything they do is valid until we see some results on the field

Edited by NT03

6'1 248 lb Soph DE from Syracuse "Dwight Freeney" would you be worried to start this guy? I think Brandon will do just fine and I am not worried at all.

In reaction to the predominance of spread offenses, defenses have been altered to counter the passing game. This concept of Nelson of preferring quickness to size is nothing new and in fact the norm. Many teams are starting linebacker sized defensive ends to add quickness and improve the pass rush. Akpunka at about 6' 1 220 is at the small end of the scale but not all that unique in present day college football. Moving Cantly to defensive end seems to be going counter to the trend, if he is quick enough to play de; he should be even better at defensive tackle, if he has the strenght to play the position. Gilmore's good play was a lot more evident last year when he played on the end. However, his play at dt might have been just as solid but not as noticable. At 6'5 or 6'6 and 270 lb plus he should have the size to play either position. It will probably come down to which position is most in need of a solid player. I would prefer Gilmore at DE and Cantly at DT but it will depend on the playing ability of the new jucos and the progression of Ross. If Ross, Desoto, Jackson or Atkisson show enough at tackle then Gilmore will probably play at DE. Likewise if Weber is the real deal or another de such as Sykes, O-Hemeng, or Cole progress, than Cantly might be moved back to DT.