Baylor Football To Make Fashion Statement This Fall With New Uniforms

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/spo...acuniforms.html

By Chad Conine Tribune-Herald staff writer

Friday, July 17, 2009

There’s no question that Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin represents the future of Bears football.

Baylor fans got a more specific picture of what that future will look like Thursday.

Baylor head coach Art Briles unveiled the Bears’ new Nike duds, with Griffin standing front and center in a photo on the school’s athletic Web site.

“Our players are excited about the new uniforms and are working hard this summer to have a great year on the field this fall,” Briles said. “The players and equipment staff worked with Nike to design a contemporary set of uniforms that would represent Baylor well and appeal to recruits.”

The new uniforms include several intriguing possibilities, including a gold-pants-with-gold-jersey combination, and a new white helmet reminiscent of the New York Jets’ head gear.

Bears Jay Finley, J.D. Walton, Griffin, Joe Pawelek and Jordan Lake modeled some of the various pants-jersey combos.

Griffin sported a sharp combination of white pants adorned with the Nike swoosh on the right hip and the interlocking BU on the left, with a green jersey that included the school name across the chest, the interlocking BU on the sleeves and thin, white piping that cuts a jagged path from the collar to the waist.

The Baylor quarterback also held the new helmet, which is white with a grey facemask and two green stripes that divide the cap from front to back. The traditional gold helmet will still be the Bears’ primary headgear.

Also, all of the new pants include a green flare stripe that narrows from knee to hip.

Key differences in school insignia include the return of the school name to the front of the jersey.

The green helmet has been discontinued.

So how much do we have to raise to get new unis? From what I gather from the process its on the coach and the equipment manufacturer. Higher profile teams ( aka marketable teams) get priority designs and the rest (us) get stock designs with our colors.

Is that right?

I really would like to see helmets with our logo and not just our name. I know its so people will know who we are and whatever. They could put the wordmark over the logo, though. I'd take that.

and a new white helmet reminiscent of the New York Jets’ head gear.

The green helmet has been discontinued.

Discountinued the Green helmets and brought out a White helmet? Are they nuts? The green pants (they stole from us) are also gone. I do not like the all-white look, too Penn State-ish.

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl...071609aaa.html#

(click on photo gallery at top of the article)

So how much do we have to raise to get new unis? From what I gather from the process its on the coach and the equipment manufacturer. Higher profile teams ( aka marketable teams) get priority designs and the rest (us) get stock designs with our colors.

Is that right?

I really would like to see helmets with our logo and not just our name. I know its so people will know who we are and whatever. They could put the wordmark over the logo, though. I'd take that.

I'd like to see the old white 1967 helmet with the interlocking NT logo again. I think it was the best helmet we ever had.

• 2 weeks later...