Your 2nd Place Rangers

If you feel good about having an unproven 22 and 23 year old in Holland and Hunter trying to help solidify a rotation when you are trying to catch the Angels and Redsox, whatever. Since you are so keen on looking up stats about Vinny, take a gander at Holland's ERA and walks to innings pitched ratio. I am not saying that the kids don't have upside, they do indeed. But to expect them to help get you over the top this season is pretty ridiculous. Also Padilla has 2 wins over the Angels and 1 over the Boston this season. So I might want him on the mound over Holland, Nippert, and Hunter. Oh yeah and he doesn't really have location problems like the kids have to fight through right at times. You and other Ranger fans tell yourselves that you are happy when a move like this is made, because JD and Marlon Byrd (who probably won't even be here next season) say it's a good move and paint Padilla as the bad guy. Watch baseball.

Sports Bully.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you feel good about having an unproven 22 and 23 year old in Holland and Hunter trying to help solidify a rotation when you are trying to catch the Angels and Redsox, whatever. Since you are so keen on looking up stats about Vinny, take a gander at Holland's ERA and walks to innings pitched ratio. I am not saying that the kids don't have upside, they do indeed. But to expect them to help get you over the top this season is pretty ridiculous. Also Padilla has 2 wins over the Angels and 1 over the Boston this season. So I might want him on the mound over Holland, Nippert, and Hunter. Oh yeah and he doesn't really have location problems like the kids have to fight through right at times. You and other Ranger fans tell yourselves that you are happy when a move like this is made, because JD and Marlon Byrd (who probably won't even be here next season) say it's a good move and paint Padilla as the bad guy. Watch baseball.

Geez, it must be the August heat getting to everyone on here. I watch a lot of baseball, but I'm not a stats guy. Everyone is not always going to agree with you, and I don't here. It's not like they are just releasing Padilla, he is a problem in the clubhouse, and apparently has been for some time.

What I feel good about is having unspoiled, team-oriented young pitching talent that is very fun to watch. We know what Padilla's potential is (middle of the rotation starter with an extremely bad attitude), I want to see about the young guys' potential. Maybe your right and they fall on their face, But what if your wrong?

I don't think this team is going anywhere this year (they may sneak in as a wild card, but they will get killed in the first series). I want to find out what we have in Holland, Feliz, Hunter, and Nippert. Getting them innings and experience in a playoff race will be invaluable next year.

Why are we arguing about pitching when this team can't hit it's way out of a wet paper sack?

Edited by UNT90

If you don't have the Ranger game on, turn it on. Otherwise, you may miss something you don't want to miss.

EDIT: 5 2/3 of no hit baseball from Holland. Broken up on a sharp grounder just to the left of Andrus.

Edited by UNT90

Holland had another outstanding performance today, a 3-hit shutout against the Angels.

I agree he was awesome today and I am thrilled he was. Nobody wants this team to win more than me. I just want to see him do this on a consistent basis. He could very well go 5 and give up 5 next time out. Young pitchers have to learn to harness their command. I will stick to my argument though because one awesome outing doesn't make the rotation better over the final 2 months. Great win. Hope the Yankees beat the Redsox.

I agree he was awesome today and I am thrilled he was. Nobody wants this team to win more than me. I just want to see him do this on a consistent basis. He could very well go 5 and give up 5 next time out. Young pitchers have to learn to harness their command. I will stick to my argument though because one awesome outing doesn't make the rotation better over the final 2 months. Great win. Hope the Yankees beat the Redsox.

The kid seems to be to be getting better as the year wears on, now I haven't been watching as much recently thanks to travel schedules and such but be had a great outing two time ago, sucked it up last time and then another great one tonight. I feel like he has been getting better as the year has been going along and at some point we have to let him take his lumps. We have gone through alot of that this season and we are still in the hunt. I know tomorrow is never certain in this game but we have been riding on hopes and dreams for so long this season that I don't see how it could hurt to put a little faith in the highly touted talent we have coming up.... Let them prove something when it counts, trial by fire i guess.

I know that probably isn't the best option by I will take this over Padilla any day. It isn't that he was a bad pitcher, he isn't, it is just the idea that this team has worked together all season and Padilla has been the antithesis of that.

Perhaps this could be an experiment in the actual value of chemistry.

Invaluable in baseball, probably more than any other sport.

The '04 team had incredible chemistry. Hate to see this season turn out like that one did. Also, lets make knee jerk reactions to the Padilla move not after Holland tosses a CGSO, but rather when Nippert takes his turn. Afterall, Holland was in the rotation before Vinny was given his walking papers.

Gagree

I wouldn't be opposed to signing Smoltz as long as he is willing to accept a spot as a reliever if we have the need for it. Yes he was bad in Boston but he didn't pitch just a whole lot coming from the big injury. Again i'm not saying he is a must have but I do not see the harm in giving him a shot as a reliever.

I wouldn't be opposed to signing Smoltz as long as he is willing to accept a spot as a reliever if we have the need for it. Yes he was bad in Boston but he didn't pitch just a whole lot coming from the big injury. Again i'm not saying he is a must have but I do not see the harm in giving him a shot as a reliever.

Who do you bump off the roster for him?

Wild card leading Rangers - we're taking your calls now!

Don't the rosters expand here soon ? You wouldn't have to bump anyone

How big a bullpen do we need? Smoltz, Mathis, Guardado, Feliz, Francisco, Wilson, Jennings -- and hasn't Smoltz declined bullpen duty? I'd rather see more of the Oklahoma arms up again than Smoltz serving up cheese in the ballpark again. Plus, the 40 man is more for giving us what I predict will be the triumphant return of Chris Davis and Bourbon -- not some washed up reliever we don't have money to pay for.

Now, what about these requiring Pudge rumors if Salty is hurt? Or will Richardson just bat .400 for awhile?