Your 2nd Place Rangers

Gagree whole heartedly. He looked awesome out there and while both he and Holland and the rest of the Rangers prospects have a long long long way to go to be something in this game I am very very optimistic about the future.

Haven't had a chance to write a recap yet, but my trip to Newberg Report night at the Ballpark was pretty awesome yesterday. 1.5 hours of the Baseball Prospectus guys followed by an hour of Jon Daniels talking about the team was enough to get the baseball wienie going - and the game only made it better.

One of the highlights/odd moments was when a fan thanked JD for not meeting the rumored Blue Jays asking price - which then led to an incredibly loud standing ovation from the 350 fans granted access into the meeting. I know there are some mixed thoughts here, but the amusing part was JD's stunned line afterwards: "Wow, I guess I should do nothing more often." [insert your own joke there.]

Feliz makes me happy tonight not simply because he held Oakland scoreless in their stupid cavern park, but he made bats miss with a variety of pitches - and hit 100 5-6 times. If he and Holland really do figure out how to pitch as starters, this is going to be fun.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't hurt... I know his BA sucks at this point but he is a threat with the bat.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but in some ways I would rather have what Esteban German brought to the table yesterday. Granted he is no Ian at the plate, but he is patient, works the pitcher, and when he gets on base he is a real threat to run (ala Figgins). Not saying that Ian wouldn't help in some ways, but the offense needs a worker bee right now, not an upper-cutter. And yes, the good Josh Hamilton showing up would help out big time. He is showing some signs and having better at bats, but he is still not there in the confidence dept.

Glad to see Vinny Pads gone. No coincidence that no other team would touch him when he was put on waivers earlier this year.

When Marlon Byrd comes out publicly and says the 25 guys in the room are glad Padilla is gone, it leads me to believe that this was the absolute right decision.

So, do you guys think the Cowboys should have kept TO? Kind of the same situation, don't you think?

Glad to see Vinny Pads gone. No coincidence that no other team would touch him when he was put on waivers earlier this year.

When Marlon Byrd comes out publicly and says the 25 guys in the room are glad Padilla is gone, it leads me to believe that this was the absolute right decision.

So, do you guys think the Cowboys should have kept TO? Kind of the same situation, don't you think?

The DMN reported that Padilla was often late to meetings, if he attended them at all. Also, he would leave the dugout during games, go to the clubhouse and surf the 'net and check his e-mails. Glad he's gone.

Other teams wouldn't go after him earlier this season because he would have been an expensive pickup of upward 8-9 million. He is much cheaper now, Texas is on the hook for the bulk of his salary if he lands eleswhere. And yes, the Cowboys might struggle w/out T.O. However that is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. But for the sake of the argument, would you have cut T.O. in November of the team was a game back of the Giants in the division?

But for the sake of the argument, would you have cut T.O. in November of the team was a game back of the Giants in the division?

Well, they didn't. And look where it got them. A divided team, no playoffs, and one of the most embarassing losses in franchise history with a chance to go to the playoffs with a win. Not saying that is all T.O.'s fault, but having him on the team certainly didn't prevent any of this, either.

Let's see who takes a chance and picks up Vinny. I'm sure someone will, but I bet it won't be anyone with anything better than an outside chance of making the playoffs. The NY, Angels, Dodgers of the world aren't going anywhere near this cat.

Well, they didn't. And look where it got them. A divided team, no playoffs, and one of the most embarassing losses in franchise history with a chance to go to the playoffs with a win. Not saying that is all T.O.'s fault, but having him on the team certainly didn't prevent any of this, either.

Let's see who takes a chance and picks up Vinny. I'm sure someone will, but I bet it won't be anyone with anything better than an outside chance of making the playoffs. The NY, Angels, Dodgers of the world aren't going anywhere near this cat.

T.O. wasn't asked to tackle Ravens runningbacks in the 4th quarter.

I love how 'rah-rah' some folks here are about getting rid of talent just because JD says this is what this thing needed. I guess next season if things don't go swimmingly in the 1st half, the club will start to talk up 2011 and 2012 just like they did a few years ago with 2010. You gotta win now. Nothing is ever promised next season. Drives me up the wall when people drink the kool-aid and say, "we are playing with house money it's all about next year anayway." Vomit!

Granted, Padilla wasn't the best teammate, but one would think an MLB club could but some BS aside and try to play hard every 5th day for a guy who more often than not gave you a chance to win. I have been in that clubhouse a number of times, and there never seemed to be a real 'division' surrounding Vinny. He pretty much kept to himslef and jokes with the latin players. Now I am sure that there were a number of things that were not seen by the media (missing meetings and the like). Texas has not sniffed the playoffs in 5 years and haven't been there in a decade. Getting rid of solid starting pitching isn't the answer. Period.

T.O. wasn't asked to tackle Ravens runningbacks in the 4th quarter.

I love how 'rah-rah' some folks here are about getting rid of talent just because JD says this is what this thing needed. I guess next season if things don't go swimmingly in the 1st half, the club will start to talk up 2011 and 2012 just like they did a few years ago with 2010. You gotta win now. Nothing is ever promised next season. Drives me up the wall when people drink the kool-aid and say, "we are playing with house money it's all about next year anayway." Vomit!

Granted, Padilla wasn't the best teammate, but one would think an MLB club could but some BS aside and try to play hard every 5th day for a guy who more often than not gave you a chance to win. I have been in that clubhouse a number of times, and there never seemed to be a real 'division' surrounding Vinny. He pretty much kept to himslef and jokes with the latin players. Now I am sure that there were a number of things that were not seen by the media (missing meetings and the like). Texas has not sniffed the playoffs in 5 years and haven't been there in a decade. Getting rid of solid starting pitching isn't the answer. Period.

Trust me, JD doesn't have a lot of credibility with me. I think the Rangers suffered while JD learned on the job (parallel to another famliar situation??). I don't think JD made this decision. I think this was made by Mr. Ryan, the pitching coach, and Washington. Since you are in the clubhouse, has that new conditioning program instituted by Nolan Ryan been accepted by Vinny?

When Marlon Byrd comes out and makes a media statement saying everyone in the clubhouse was behind the move, I gotta think that there is so much more that we don't know about the Vinny Pads situation.

And I don't call Vinny a solid starting pitcher. He was having a good year (after being terrible last year), but is a head case that you can't trust in any big game,

Trust me, JD doesn't have a lot of credibility with me. I think the Rangers suffered while JD learned on the job (parallel to another famliar situation??). I don't think JD made this decision. I think this was made by Mr. Ryan, the pitching coach, and Washington. Since you are in the clubhouse, has that new conditioning program instituted by Nolan Ryan been accepted by Vinny?

When Marlon Byrd comes out and makes a media statement saying everyone in the clubhouse was behind the move, I gotta think that there is so much more that we don't know about the Vinny Pads situation.

And I don't call Vinny a solid starting pitcher. He was having a good year (after being terrible last year), but is a head case that you can't trust in any big game,

14-8 on a bad defensive club in '08 was a bad year??

14-8 on a bad defensive club in '08 was a bad year??

My bad, was remembering 07 season, when he was horrible. Still, wouldn't want him on the mound in a game with any meaning. And still think Nolan Ryan and Maddox were the driving force behind this.

Even though he was 14-8 in 2008, his ERA was 4.74. Not worth the headache.

EDIT: And his ERA is 4.92 this year with an 8-6 record, which begs the question, was the record last year a product of a great offense helping him out? Would be interesting to know his opponents ERA last year. Never an ERA lower than 4.50 in the last 6 years. Geez, the more stats I see, the happier I am he is gone.

Edited by UNT90

My bad, was remembering 07 season, when he was horrible. Still, wouldn't want him on the mound in a game with any meaning. And still think Nolan Ryan and Maddox were the driving force behind this.

Even though he was 14-8 in 2008, his ERA was 4.74. Not worth the headache.

EDIT: And his ERA is 4.92 this year with an 8-6 record, which begs the question, was the record last year a product of a great offense helping him out? Would be interesting to know his opponents ERA last year. Never an ERA lower than 4.50 in the last 6 years. Geez, the more stats I see, the happier I am he is gone.

If you feel good about having an unproven 22 and 23 year old in Holland and Hunter trying to help solidify a rotation when you are trying to catch the Angels and Redsox, whatever. Since you are so keen on looking up stats about Vinny, take a gander at Holland's ERA and walks to innings pitched ratio. I am not saying that the kids don't have upside, they do indeed. But to expect them to help get you over the top this season is pretty ridiculous. Also Padilla has 2 wins over the Angels and 1 over the Boston this season. So I might want him on the mound over Holland, Nippert, and Hunter. Oh yeah and he doesn't really have location problems like the kids have to fight through right at times. You and other Ranger fans tell yourselves that you are happy when a move like this is made, because JD and Marlon Byrd (who probably won't even be here next season) say it's a good move and paint Padilla as the bad guy. Watch baseball.