Your 2nd Place Rangers

Hes made 1 start in Texas each of the last 5 years

2009 - 0-1, 12.60 ERA, 5Ks

2008 - 1-0, 10.80 ERA, 8Ks

2007 - 0-1, 9.45 ERA, 5Ks

2006 - 1-0, 2.57 ERA, 4Ks

2005 - 1-0, 5.06 ERA, 2Ks

Tough to say if a 5 game sample size is enough to balk at giving up your second tier of prospects for a legit ace you control for another season and a versitlle outfielder...but you're right, he hasn't pitched well at the Temple in the past 3 season, which are really his only seasons of note.

That's a season out of Brandon McCarthy.

I just don't think we need to give any guys up for Lee. He gets what is probably an unfair meh for me. He's had two good years and a bunch of okay years when that team was actually good where anyone with decent stuff could win 10-15 games.

He is light years behind what Halladay is and, if you think in terms of the future, is about the same to me as taking a flyer on Sheets when he is healthy next year. If money is scarce, there are much better ways to allocate it.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, just wanted to plug our new blog that myself along with some other NT alums have thrown together in the past few days. I will doing a daily AM sports blog that will be very Ranger heavy. www.pearlsnapdiscount.com We have sports, local music, movie reviews, video, podcasts, and other strong content. The site is in it's infancy, so we will be improving it gradually so bear with us.

Edited by Green Guy Bass

Please, Lord, let them leave Holland out of ANY trade.

Why? I send this to Toronto:

Tier One...Pick 1:

Derek Holland

Neftali Feliz

Justin Smoak

Tier Two...Pick 3:

Blake Beavan

Pedro Borbon

Martin Perez

Kasey Kiker

Engle Beltre

Taylor Teagarden

Miachael Main

Max Ramirez

Chris Davis

Tier Three...Pick 2:

Greg Golson

Marcus Lemon

Eric Hurley

Tommy Hunter

Warner Madrigal

Guillermo Morsocco

Thomas Diamond

Matthew Lawson

Screw 2010...you're in a playoff race now. Real baseball teams make these moves.

Why? I send this to Toronto:

Tier One...Pick 1:

Derek Holland

Neftali Feliz

Justin Smoak

Tier Two...Pick 3:

Blake Beavan

Pedro Borbon

Martin Perez

Kasey Kiker

Engle Beltre

Taylor Teagarden

Miachael Main

Max Ramirez

Chris Davis

Tier Three...Pick 2:

Greg Golson

Marcus Lemon

Eric Hurley

Tommy Hunter

Warner Madrigal

Guillermo Morsocco

Thomas Diamond

Matthew Lawson

Screw 2010...you're in a playoff race now. Real baseball teams make these moves.

I think it takes Feliz and Smoak as your deal base and you build from there. I'm still on the fence on what I want them to do, but am very excited to attend the Jon Daniel's Q&A about whatever happens on Sunday.

I also think Chris Davis will be back with a vengeance in September and beyond, so trading Smoak doesn't hurt me as much. Still, it's nice to see Smoak pull his average up over .200 in the last few weeks at AAA. Should make an interesting dilemma down the road - but remember, we also need to replace Blalock next year too.

Well, the Redsox got better today. We didn't, but I suppose everyone that is enfatuated with the kiddos is happy this afternoon. I like Holland as much as anyone, but I want everyone to think back to this day 3-4 years from now and we are all bitching that JD and Hicks Co. didn't pull the trigger on this deal when the club is still fighting to get past the Angels. I do hope that I am wrong about this, but I think that a large portion of the fanbase is convinced that all of these kids will live up to their expectations. If you look back at prize prospects throughout history, a small percentage actually live up to their billing.

A great example of farm systems not paying off are the '07 Indians and the '07 Diamondbacks.

And if you haven't stopped by yet check out the new blog www.pearlsnapdiscount.com

Edited by Green Guy Bass

Well, the Redsox got better today. We didn't, but I suppose everyone that is enfatuated with the kiddos is happy this afternoon. I like Holland as much as anyone, but I want everyone to think back to this day 3-4 years from now and we are all bitching that JD and Hicks Co. didn't pull the trigger on this deal when the club is still fighting to get past the Angels. I do hope that I am wrong about this, but I think that a large portion of the fanbase is convinced that all of these kids will live up to their expectations. If you look back at prize prospects throughout history, a small percentage actually live up to their billing.

A great example of farm systems not paying off are the '07 Indians and the '07 Diamondbacks.

And if you haven't stopped by yet check out the new blog www.pearlsnapdiscount.com

Like I said before, look back at the deals JD did as a buyer. Pretty much all failures. And pretty much every top prospect he traded went on to become a decent major leaguer (Adrian Gonzales, Chris Young, 2/3s of DVD and kept only the one that hasn't made the majors). Holland just went to untouchable after the performance last night, at least for me. Look at Holliday's record after the break. Not that sterling.

Would you do the Danks/Hamilton trade over again? Who got the better of that? I would rather wait and see and buy next year.

Like I said before, look back at the deals JD did as a buyer. Pretty much all failures. And pretty much every top prospect he traded went on to become a decent major leaguer (Adrian Gonzales, Chris Young, 2/3s of DVD and kept only the one that hasn't made the majors). Holland just went to untouchable after the performance last night, at least for me. Look at Holliday's record after the break. Not that sterling.

Would you do the Danks/Hamilton trade over again? Who got the better of that? I would rather wait and see and buy next year.

I have said it time and again. Tomorrow is never promised in baseball. 2010 is not a given and I wish that some ranger fans would realize that. This thing could quickly go back in the crapper next season. Roy Halladay is a badass. Period. End of story. 7 IP and 3 runs in a loss to the M's is nothing to cry about, please. Also JD has grown up and learned from the San Diego and Danks trades. Also, Hamilton was swapped for Volquez....and yeah that has pretty much been a wash so far.

I have said it time and again. Tomorrow is never promised in baseball. 2010 is not a given and I wish that some ranger fans would realize that. This thing could quickly go back in the crapper next season. Roy Halladay is a badass. Period. End of story. 7 IP and 3 runs in a loss to the M's is nothing to cry about, please. Also JD has grown up and learned from the San Diego and Danks trades. Also, Hamilton was swapped for Volquez....and yeah that has pretty much been a wash so far.

I agree Halladay is a badass. He's probably the most unappreciated player in the game. My question is , if Hicks is having $$ issues could have he even afforded Roy ?

Edited by NT03

I agree Halladay is a badass. He's probably the most unappreciated player in the game. My question is , if Hicks is having $$ issues could have he even afforded Roy ?

I completely agree. However if money was a roadblock then why did our braintrust work so hard on trying to find the right deal with Ricciardi and the Jays, when this thing could probably use a much cheaper bat. I get that Hicks Co. was trying to up the value of his club with a possible deal for Halladay, but in the end this club didn't improve. The team they are chasing in the WC just did with a pair of moves and one we might have been able to swing for Martinez. It's just frustrating as a fan to suffer for a full decade and then have their billion dollar owner plead poverty when Texas has a real chance to get back to the postseason THIS year. Not 2010. Also, how much better is this club next year because we kept a few key prospects? Smoak might not be ready by the beginning of next season. Oh and by the way can Borbon really reach the potential of being an everyday player. Really hope so. I bet JD does as well, but if the kinds don't get us any further than they are now there could be a real backlash down the road. Hicks has to sell this thing ASAP.

Always get the components of DVD confused. I just don't trust JD. If the Rangers had a 3 or 4 game lead in the division things would be different, but I just don't see them catching Boston or the Angels. Yes, they could regress next year and some of the prospects may not pan out, but I don't think they woukd make the playoffs with Hollday. And I am talking mainly about trading Holland and Feliz. Don't have a problem so much with other prospects. Holland has proven he can do it on the major league level and Feliz has proven it at AAA.

Always get the components of DVD confused. I just don't trust JD. If the Rangers had a 3 or 4 game lead in the division things would be different, but I just don't see them catching Boston or the Angels. Yes, they could regress next year and some of the prospects may not pan out, but I don't think they woukd make the playoffs with Hollday. And I am talking mainly about trading Holland and Feliz. Don't have a problem so much with other prospects. Holland has proven he can do it on the major league level and Feliz has proven it at AAA.

Slow down there Speed Racer!

Holland as a starer : 10 starts. 2-5, and an ERA over 5. in 3 of his 10 starts he went at least 6 innings. I know he was good the other night, but he is still 22 years old and hasn't proven much yet at the big league level. If anything Tommy Hunter has proven more as a starter. Just tap those breaks a bit pal.

Edited by Green Guy Bass

Agreed.

I am sure this will come up at length during tomorrow's Newberg Report Q&A with JD and I'll be happy to fill you in during the game about what was sad. He gets pretty candid with that group, so it should be good times.

Also, love your pearl necklace blog.

Feliz strikes out the side in his big league debut. Throwing 100 on the gun. Just sayin...

I know he and Holland could flop later, but I'm glad they are still with this team. Turns out Holliday would have vetoed a trade here anyway. Sounds like he has ARod Yankee envy syndrome. I'll enjoy the kids while he keeps pitching for a loser.

Feliz was bringing some serious heat.

Feliz strikes out the side in his big league debut. Throwing 100 on the gun. Just sayin...

I know he and Holland could flop later, but I'm glad they are still with this team. Turns out Holliday would have vetoed a trade here anyway. Sounds like he has ARod Yankee envy syndrome. I'll enjoy the kids while he keeps pitching for a loser.

Feliz was bringing some serious heat.

Gagree whole heartedly. He looked awesome out there and while both he and Holland and the rest of the Rangers prospects have a long long long way to go to be something in this game I am very very optimistic about the future.

Gagree whole heartedly. He looked awesome out there and while both he and Holland and the rest of the Rangers prospects have a long long long way to go to be something in this game I am very very optimistic about the future.

I second that. I love watching this team knowing what it could be in the future. It gets me happy in the pants