Utsa Unveils Football Helmet For 2011

NT80

NM State helmet - huge improvement.

Like the UTSA helmet minus the roadrunners - that was way too busy

bring them on to the Belt! Roadie on the riverwalk anyone?

GMG

SOW = Son of Worm.

Back in the early 70's when Hayden Fry was named coach he changed the NT logo, designed by our own Rick Spears (GGII), to a stylized-looking Eagle. It was affectionately called the "Flying Worm" because some thought that's what it looked like; I disagree but liked the nickname. When UNT recently re-branded itself again as Mean Green it created a new logo with similar lines to that old logo. Some have come to call this "Son of Worm", also affectionately.

Now that is one for the history books! A great trivia question for decades to come:)

Q. Name the rainiest game in Mean Green History?

Q. What was North Texas' version of the ice bowl?

Q. What is the Miracle in the desert?

Q. Who is NLU?

Q. Whatever kickoff return made history?

GMG

Now that is one for the history books! A great trivia question for decades to come:)

Q. Name the rainiest game in Mean Green History?

I belive it was the 1968 NT/Cincinnati game (at Fouts) won by NT 55-34. That game featured Steve Ramsey vs the future NFL rookie of the year QB, Greg Cook. Also, (as of the 2004 media guide) that game was tied for first place for total offence by a NT team (579 yrds)

Q. What was North Texas' version of the ice bowl?

The 1976 NT/Florida State game, played at Fouts...and it was homecoming. You could not see the field for the snow. Florida State was coached by first year coach Bobby Bowden. We lost the game in the last minutes 20-21.

Q. What is the Miracle in the desert?

The 2001 NMSU game (Nov 3rd)won by NT 22-20.

Q. Who is NLU?

NorthEast Lousiana State University, now called Lousiana Monroe.

Q. Whatever kickoff return made history?

NT/Tenn 1975. Tennessee scored late in the game to take the lead. Sears Woods (#20 on your program) ran the subsequent KO back for a TD, which sealed the game.

GMG

SOW = Son of Worm.

Back in the early 70's when Hayden Fry was named coach he changed the NT logo, designed by our own Rick Spears (GGII), to a stylized-looking Eagle. It was affectionately called the "Flying Worm" because some thought that's what it looked like; I disagree but liked the nickname. When UNT recently re-branded itself again as Mean Green it created a new logo with similar lines to that old logo. Some have come to call this "Son of Worm", also affectionately.

SOW is the most horrible name for the new UNT Logo. It look nothing like the previous logo.

Have to disagree with the "rainiest" game... I went to a game against Nevada in the Helwig days where it was POURING... I could not see the field from the student side. Very few people stayed but the band did... and they were having to dump the instruments out of water about every 10 minutes. So So So crazy. It was a monsoon. I was very surprised that the game didn't get called. We won the game which was nice because they had destroyed us the year before by about 70. I believe it was Nevada... there is this part of me that thinks it was Utah State but I seem to remember that the win avenged the Nevada loss by 70 so I am pretty sure it was the Wolfpack...

Have to disagree with the "rainiest" game... I went to a game against Nevada in the Helwig days where it was POURING... I could not see the field from the student side. Very few people stayed but the band did... and they were having to dump the instruments out of water about every 10 minutes. So So So crazy. It was a monsoon. I was very surprised that the game didn't get called. We won the game which was nice because they had destroyed us the year before by about 70. I believe it was Nevada... there is this part of me that thinks it was Utah State but I seem to remember that the win avenged the Nevada loss by 70 so I am pretty sure it was the Wolfpack...

No, it was definitely Nevada. I remember the brave few of us students that stayed were huddled up in a corner of the stands.

That Nevada game was reminiscent of the Kansas City game (MNF) awhile back where the stairs were like waterfalls.

It was a blast and that elusive win over the Wolfpack was delicious! Kind of equivalent to beating SMU or Troy! By the way ready to finally beat those Owls from Flo Rida too!

GMG