Ok Here We Go Again

I would also like to see the return of the green helmet. What is the official green of North Texas? That's the color we should be.

The white helmets are such an eyesore...I think only Penn State sports them well.

The white helmets are such an eyesore...I think only Penn State sports them well.

i like the white helmet when we have our green home jersey on, but i wish we had a green helmet on the road to go with the white top. i think green and white should always be together, im not a big fan of the white helmet/white uni together

i like the white helmet when we have our green home jersey on, but i wish we had a green helmet on the road to go with the white top. i think green and white should always be together, im not a big fan of the white helmet/white uni together

Serious question. Is it a budget constraint with only having one color helmet?

Serious question. Is it a budget constraint with only having one color helmet?

Serious question. What other teams have multiple helmets? Not one team that I can think of. I am a fan of a green helmet with SOW on it as well as SOW at midfield. I just can't beleive the RV still thinks we need North Texas spelled out on our helmets so people will know who we are should we play on television.

Serious question. What other teams have multiple helmets? Not one team that I can think of.

How can you forget Oregon and their half a dozen garish helmets per season? Hawaii also had a silver and a black version in a recent season, might still do.

Edited by Bryan316

I think it is about brand recognition. That is part of the whole switch to Mean Green for our teams. There are lots of Eagles out there.

Yes, this is about brand recognition and most schools that possess this only have one helmet. I forgot Oregon on purpose because their uniforms are horrible.

SOW, son of worm, needs to be on our helmets. We were called the Mean Green long before RV arrived and the old "Flying Worm" logo was pretty recognizable to any who saw it, and if creating the brand "Mean Green" is really the goal then why not do away with Scrappy? Don't think many will agree to that, and that hasn't kept us from being referred to as the Mean Green. Put the new logo on our helmet and be done with it.

Serious question. What other teams have multiple helmets? Not one team that I can think of. I am a fan of a green helmet with SOW on it as well as SOW at midfield. I just can't beleive the RV still thinks we need North Texas spelled out on our helmets so people will know who we are should we play on television.

Believe it. That's HIS theory. I've griped about this until Im blue in the face. Yeah, I GET the whole idea of us being "easily recognizable" whether we're on TV or a photo is put in the paper, a magazine, a web site, whatever. Keep in mind he did the lion's share of his work at Souther Miss, so that's where his theory came from I bet. I think we're beating a dead horse and as long as he's AD, it'll never change. But I think when the new stadium is built, I think that would be a great time to transition to the new SOW helmet...

BTW,FYI...

http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/33-49/33-49410-F.jpg

Believe it. That's HIS theory. I've griped about this until Im blue in the face. Yeah, I GET the whole idea of us being "easily recognizable" whether we're on TV or a photo is put in the paper, a magazine, a web site, whatever. Keep in mind he did the lion's share of his work at Souther Miss, so that's where his theory came from I bet. I think we're beating a dead horse and as long as he's AD, it'll never change. But I think when the new stadium is built, I think that would be a great time to transition to the new SOW helmet...

BTW,FYI...

http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/33-49/33-49410-F.jpg

It would be a perfect time. If they are going

to have SOW at the 50..then it should be on the helmet!!!!!!

I think it is about brand recognition. That is part of the whole switch to Mean Green for our teams. There are lots of Eagles out there.

Exactly, which is why the North Texas should come off the helmets. NT spent a lot of money designing this new logo and going with the Mean Green branding. It is being used on many things in Athletics except on the one most important visible item...the football helmet. SOW on a GREEN helmet and Mean Green name on the jersey...there fixed! B)

What's SOW?

SOW = Son of Worm.

Back in the early 70's when Hayden Fry was named coach he changed the NT logo, designed by our own Rick Spears (GGII), to a stylized-looking Eagle. It was affectionately called the "Flying Worm" because some thought that's what it looked like; I disagree but liked the nickname. When UNT recently re-branded itself again as Mean Green it created a new logo with similar lines to that old logo. Some have come to call this "Son of Worm", also affectionately.

Flying Worm: http://www.meangreenworld.com/avatars/worm2.png

Son of Worm: http://www.campusexplorer.com/media/376x26...on-3B9B2858.png

Edited by NT80

The flying worm. I suppose I can understand the nostalgia, but if it were to be brought back, I think it should be written into all scholarship agreements and coaching contracts that Burt Reynolds moustaches are to be worn at all times, and the coaching car allowances are to be spent entirely on Trans Ams. Extra generators should also be brought into Fouts so we can shine lights on the disco balls.

Don't get me wrong. I kinda' like it, but it's sooooo 70s. There's something about that style that suggests to me some new technology came along during that time that allowed for lines with rounded edges.

This is pretty close to what the North Texas helmet looked like in the Flying Worm days:

wormhelmet-128.png

I'll take this 10 times out of 10 over the "Southlake" crap we're using now. North Texas being the Mean Green isn't quite so mean or green when your uniforms are 90% white. Hell, throw in some green pants or something with the current look.

Edited by Got5onIt