Russo Granted Transfer

NT80

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

putting education and his future, ahead of football, indicates his maturity. All the players that have departed the program, in their mindset, left for legitimate reasons. Since it is their life that they are leading ..... and not ours vicariously.....we should only wish him the best of luck.

IMHO college sports is nothing more than a temporary diversion from reality similar to what beer is to a frat party on the weekends.

putting education and his future, ahead of football, indicates his maturity. All the players that have departed the program, in their mindset, left for legitimate reasons. Since it is their life that they are leading ..... and not ours vicariously.....we should only wish him the best of luck.

IMHO college sports is nothing more than a temporary diversion from reality similar to what beer is to a frat party on the weekends.

I agree that putting your educational future ahead of football should be any players primary goal. Having said that, there have been numerous graduates of North Texas that have gone on to Law school. And some who have become very successful....such as this guy

http://www.superlawyers.com/texas/lawyer/M...bacd7efdbb.html

Mike Simpson is a graduate of UNT and Texas Tech Law school.

So, therefore it's my belief that something else is going on with Mr. Russo, and that Law School is not the main reason that he is leaving North Texas.

I agree that putting your educational future ahead of football should be any players primary goal. Having said that, there have been numerous graduates of North Texas that have gone on to Law school. And some who have become very successful....such as this guy

http://www.superlawyers.com/texas/lawyer/M...bacd7efdbb.html

Mike Simpson is a graduate of UNT and Texas Tech Law school.

So, therefore it's my belief that something else is going on with Mr. Russo, and that Law School is not the main reason that he is leaving North Texas.

SE, I give up....which position are you taking?

1. study more for a better life without the distraction of college sports. He may not be able to do both and keep his grades up and get into the law school of his choosing.

2. another TD conspiracy theory. If you have not spoken to TD, personally along with the players for "first hand information," then conspiracy theory is what you are talking about, right or wrong?

SE, I give up....which position are you taking?

1. study more for a better life without the distraction of college sports. He may not be able to do both and keep his grades up and get into the law school of his choosing.

2. another TD conspiracy theory. If you have not spoken to TD, personally along with the players for "first hand information," then conspiracy theory is what you are talking about, right or wrong?

I'm not conjuring up any sort of conspiracy theories. I just don't fully believe the party line being handed out about why Mr. Russo is leaving. If Mr. Russo was wanting to eventually be accepted into the Harvard Law school, then it would make almost perfect sense to transfer to Harvard. But, as I pointed out in my post above, any graduate of North Texas can get into just about any Law School in Texas. If he transfers to SMU AND plays football there (or any school for that matter).....well...... :rolleyes:

Woah Woah Woah. Hold on there a minute. Without beer there would likley be no party. so you are saying that without football there would be no college / no higher education system in America. America would become a 3 rd world country overnight. now that I think this through I concur. College football is most definitly more iportant than the life of one college student. You are right. He has made a huge mistake.

Russo wants to go to law school, and he should have the opportunity

to fulfill his dream of becoming a lawyer.

I know several NT grads that finished their degree programs at NT

and went on to law school at other universities, including SMU's

law school.

Too bad the UNT School of Law is not available.

Dodge keeps talking about his ex-players' future....when will he start worrying about his own?

zing

I'm glad he's chosen this path. Yet I can't help but wonder if he'd be content to stay if we were on our way to another winning season.

So does this thread derail into an anti-Dodge theme, or a UNT-needs-law-school theme? Either is fine with me.

I'm sorry I don't buy the I want to go to law school, bit. Lets face it guys there, is something these guys see or don't see in dodge. I am surprised we can still field a team. I wish dodge the best and had high hopes he could do something, anything but I am tired of hope.. I need Change and w's would be a nice start. That said, good luck to russo.

Edited by filmerj

I don't buy it. Law school admission is largely a matter of LSAT scores and undergraduate work, no matter where you attend. The vast majority of universities doesn't have a law school. That doesn't preclude its graduates from attending law school. Nor is attending one particular school a guarantee of getting into its law school.

I'll just say this, with good grades, having been a college athlete, and having a decent LSAT score will get Russo into most law schools. In my class at Tulsa, we had six former football players (four of them linebackers...go figure), a couple of girls who played soccer, a gal who had been on a rowing squad, a track guy, a baseball player, and two softballers.

Law schools like smart, competitive people. Russo's chances of getting into SMU Law wouldn't have been any less if he'd stayed here. The problem is, you never know what people are telling kid. Sounds like someone got in his ear and convinced him he'd be better off somewhere else. It's just not true. The majors that draw many law students - Business, English, History, and Political Science - are all strong at UNT.

Anyway, good luck to Russo in all of his future endeavors.

I am frankly shocked that they would try to sell us on the this was because of law school bs. We're not stupid - clearly the kid is trying to leave without slamming the door on Dodge. Law school is about LSAT scores and grades, the reputation of undergraduate schools can play a part but it is more about LSAT scores than anything else period. The kid clearly wasn't happy here or he wouldn't be leaving. He was a good player at a need position that played for our head coach in high school for goodness sake! The Vizza departure - although more damaging because of his position - was much more feasible. I just can't believe that they let this happen.

I don't buy it. Law school admission is largely a matter of LSAT scores and undergraduate work, no matter where you attend. The vast majority of universities doesn't have a law school. That doesn't preclude its graduates from attending law school. Nor is attending one particular school a guarantee of getting into its law school.

I'll just say this, with good grades, having been a college athlete, and having a decent LSAT score will get Russo into most law schools. In my class at Tulsa, we had six former football players (four of them linebackers...go figure), a couple of girls who played soccer, a gal who had been on a rowing squad, a track guy, a baseball player, and two softballers.

Law schools like smart, competitive people. Russo's chances of getting into SMU Law wouldn't have been any less if he'd stayed here. The problem is, you never know what people are telling kid. Sounds like someone got in his ear and convinced him he'd be better off somewhere else. It's just not true. The majors that draw many law students - Business, English, History, and Political Science - are all strong at UNT.

Well I'll be damned! Do you feel alright TFLF? This is not the opinion I thought you would have. No criticizing Dodge and his short falls as a college coach or explanations of why his first recruiting class (two from his high school team) is jumping ship. Just when I think I have you pegged.

Edited by Green Crazy

I gotta agree on this one. This sounds like the kind of diabetes that keeps you from playing at UNT; but lets you walk-on at SMU.

Law school? Yeah, I don't fall for that either. Getting into a law school is based on LSATs and other criteria that don't have much to do with where you went to undergrad. I do actually have more faith in the 3-21 argument, though.

Dodge had better show us something this season, and preferably before midseason. I can see people calling for his head in short order if he doesn't post a few wins before October. I'm almost calling for it now.

I've been out of town a lot lately, so did I miss the news that our law school is no longer likely? Either way, I have a hard time believing Russo's law school excuse unless there is a special situation like his father is an smu law graduate. Something like that might give him a better shot at admission. He probably just wanted to go play and hang with his high school budd's.

From the views of several posters regarding Russo, I would

assume Jared Acton, Chris Brainard, Riley Dodge, and

Nick Leppo, all SLC football players, will be asking for

their transfers too. Heck, MG fans might as well say every

player at NT is unhappy, do not like Coach Dodge, the staff,

the school, the whole program. Maybe all the players will transfer to SMU!

What a crock of crap!

Players change their minds about their future.

Simple as that.

I see players/students transfer from college to college every year.

Tyler Stradford (NT) and Jose Jarboe (Troy) transfered from OU so their

transfers are because of Bob Stoops. These 2 players are unhappy! It is all Bob Stoops fault!

I do not see anyone from NT or Troy complaining about these players.

So a NT player makes a decision about his future. This, of course, is Coach Dodge's fault!

No, not buying this at all! The real reason Russo decided to transfer is covered up.

Insider stuff you know! Secret insider information only!

I do not think Kyle Russo was unhappy. He made a decision regarding his

future, and the way he wants to handle his future, what ever that may be.

Transfer to another school, let him go. If one is not happy with NT or

being a NT athlete, then by all means, find a new home, go and be happy!

If Russo wants to change his career, help Russo to accomplish his goal.

Hate to see Russo transfer, he is a good player, transferring was Russo's decision.

Thank you Kyle for your seasons at NT, enjoyed seeing you play, God Bless you, best wishes

for your success!

Cantley, Gilmore, Akpunku, Cole, Owusu-Hemeng, Juco John

Weber, recruits Tyler Washington, and Ryan Boutwell will be a

great group of DE's, but watch out. They may be unhappy too, because

of Coach Dodge, his staff, DeLoach and Nelson, NT, the MGN, and life at NT.

How the heck did these players chose to come to NT is beyond me!