Unt Football Schedule

Brett Vito

Finally, a schedule with only one guaranteed whipping. Three mid-majors + Alabama is the way we need it. I'd still mix in a Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston, or Texas State. But, this is as good as we can hope for.

Now, if we just just make a better showing versus Ball State, Ohio, and Army than we have recently against Tulsa. I'm not even saying win those, but at least compete with them. If we're not competing with those three very well, it's a serious problem.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I like the schedule...but I would like almost anything that did not have us playing at home over Thanksgiving weekend. That has been a "beating" as far as attendance goes...no students (not that that has made too much of a difference recently) and lots of other family travel/activities, etc.

I think the band could really have a great time with the Halloween halftime show. I hope they do something that isn't so "jazzy" in nature and go in for more of a "halloween" theme. I believe they did a Star Wars theme at a Halloween game some years ago (when the Star Wars movies were HOT), and it was great!!!! If they do, I might have to stay in my seat longer before I head to the "drunk tank" for a few half-time beers. OK, just kidding about the "drunk tank" thing...but not the beers! Got to have a cold one at half-time. YUMMY!

Some of our alumni used to make fun of students that would complain at UNT... they would make comments about these students complaining about a $100 bill laying on the ground being too wrinkled to pick it up or bother with it. A wrinkled up $100 bill is still $100 bucks - haha, I get it.

This Schedule:

Sept. 3 at Ball State

Sept. 12 Ohio

Sept. 19 at Alabama

Sept. 26 Florida Atlantic

Oct. 3 Middle Tennessee

Oct. 10 at Louisiana-Lafayette

Oct. 17 Louisiana-Monroe

Oct. 24 at Troy

Oct. 31 Western Kentucky

Nov. 7 Open

Nov. 14 at Florida International

Nov. 21 Army

Nov. 28 at Arkansas State

Is just about PERFECT. I mean, you really can't get better than that schedule as a mid major. The biggest knock on past schedules has been only 5 home games, we have 6. The biggest issues about OOC opponents have been that they are all body bag games - there is only one game on the schedule that is a most likely loss... but anything can happen with Bama, ask ULM. The Schedule CLEARLY states that November 7 is OPEN, I don't know how someone could read that schedule and think there was no Bye Week... we are not playing a team named "Open University"... the bye week is in a good space, too.

3 of our first 5 games are at HOME! We start the year with two MAC schools! Now, one of those is a very good team but we are not looking at this schedule and complaining that we are guaranteed to go into conference play at 0-5 like some past schedules have.

As for having a game on Halloween, if that is the worst thing that we have - I will take that. If the game is at night, maybe the athletic department could have trick or treating at Fouts Field, it is a pretty scary place, hehe (right Rick?)... Anyway - I am just thrilled about this schedule, I will take a Halloween game over a Thanksgiving game... The Thanksgiving game an away game and that would be much worse than a Halloween night game.... but I do hope the game is during the day because parents like to trick or treat with their kiddos :P)

Ok - I feel bad for crossing the picket line and breaking the strike but seeing complaints about this schedule seemed a little sensitive to me :P

Finally, a schedule with only one guaranteed whipping. Three mid-majors + Alabama is the way we need it. I'd still mix in a Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston, or Texas State. But, this is as good as we can hope for.

Now, if we just just make a better showing versus Ball State, Ohio, and Army than we have recently against Tulsa. I'm not even saying win those, but at least compete with them. If we're not competing with those three very well, it's a serious problem.

After the last 2 seasons, until I see ANYTHING different none of the mid major games or bama are not whippings. Hope I am wrong, but I doubt very seriously this team wins more than 3 games, especially starting a new QB and virtually new WR's.

I think that this is a very good schedule. I'm very excited about having 6 home games.

I'm with KRAM1: The Halloween game needs to be an early start, say around 1. I went to a Halloween night game when I was in school and the stadium was pretty empty. I think an afternoon game is best here. It's late October anyway, and it can be pretty chilly in the evenings.

I'm also a little disappointed in the Oct. 17 choice for Homecoming. Although I think this is the best choice based on our schedule, it is also the day of UT/OU. I know, I know. It shouldn't matter, and I agree, it shouldn't. The problem is that is does matter. I like to look on the bright side of things, so, since I hate both teams, I have even more reason to root for them each to lose a game or two going in to this matchup so less people will care about it. Homeceoming is always the best tailgate party and student involvement, although Army may top it this year.

Overall, a great schedule. See you at Fouts in 2009!

For all the reasons others have mentioned this is certainly a positive for the team. I hope we can be competitive in at least three of the four non conference games. Maybe the appeal of Army and it not being Thanksgiving weekend will help for a 20,000 + attendance for our last home game. Ironically the Mean Green has played good the last two years in the last home game in front of small crowds against WKY and Ark St.

I believe the attractive schedule, the addition of D Line Coach Nelson, the Special Teams coaching change to Gandy, continued improvement by the O Line and the influx of JUCO WR speed causes hope for a more competitive 2009 season!

GMG

This schedule is the absolute best I've ever seen at UNT. 3 of the first 5 are at HOME??!?! I never thought I'd see the day. The icing on the cake is that the conference office set us up with back to back home games to open conference play (against 2 of the toughest teams)! There are no excuses this year. The team needs to take advantage of this.

Kudos to the AD. Great job.