Western Kentucky (1/31/09)

CMJ

I cannot believe how that game ended in so many ways... why in the hell did the ball end up in Dennis' hands??? He is one of our absolute worst shooters this season... why didn't Tramiel get the ball?? He is by far our highest percentage shooters!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does JJ get a bonus at the end of the season for TIME OUTS that he didn't use? Why he didn't call a timeout when we're down 1 with 20 seconds left, draw up a play....and play for the final shot and the win...is beyond me. Instead he doesn't call a TO....let's Johnson dribble wildly down court, throw up a long 3........and the rest is history.

Pathetic coaching there at the end.

Does JJ get a bonus at the end of the season for TIME OUTS that he didn't use? Why he didn't call a timeout when we're down 1 with 20 seconds left, draw up a play....and play for the final shot and the win...is beyond me. Instead he doesn't call a TO....let's Johnson dribble wildly down court, throw up a long 3........and the rest is history.

Pathetic coaching there at the end.

Well, if I recall correctly WKU called the timeout, so we had time to draw up a play. Did you want them to advance up to midcourt and then call another TO with like 13 seconds to go after they just had a minute to draw up a play?

Well, if I recall correctly WKU called the timeout, so we had time to draw up a play. Did you want them to advance up to midcourt and then call another TO with like 13 seconds to go after they just had a minute to draw up a play?

I don't think they called a TO then. It was after their guy went to the foul line and gave them a 2 point lead. (on the rebound after Dom's 3 point miss).

I'm pretty sure when they went up by 1 earlier.......we had the ball, the shot clock was off.....and Dom dribbled straight down the court and threw up the wild 3.

Edited by SUMG

I don't think they called a TO then. It was after their guy went to the foul line and gave them a 2 point lead. I'm pretty sure when they went up by 1.......we had the ball, the shot clock was off.....and Dom dribbled straight down the court. I don't think a TO was called then. It was later that WKU used their last two TOs.

I'm pretty sure after WKU got the lead they called a TO to set their defense(something that has become suprisingly in vogue as of late). Now I want to read the play by play. :lol:

I'm pretty sure after WKU got the lead they called a TO to set their defense(something that has become suprisingly in vogue as of late). Now I want to read the play by play. :lol:

You may be right. But if those plays that we had there at the end (Dominique's 3 with 15 seconds left) and Collin Dennis' attempt to go inside and score....if those plays were drawn up.......we need some new freaking plays. Watching the game, they were both low percentage...at best.

Edited by SUMG

JJ on the postgame show said DJ's shot wasn't what they wanted(he mentioned wanting to get it to Tramiel). I actually liked the choice of driving the lane late down 2. You're thinking you're either gonna get to the hoop or get fouled there. Obviously it didn't work.

this may be the worst finishing team jj has had. maybe jj is losing control at the end? something is not being planned or played right to finish games.

I'm not sure about that. Honestly the last couple of seasons we've had aton of close games, with us winning about half of them. It's been that way this year too - unfortunately we seemed to have used up most of our end of game magic in the OOC schedule.

This team would be in 1st place if they had anything even remotely resembling a point guard.

Or anything resembling a coach. I've never seen a coach that was so dead set on going away from what is working all game (GOING INSIDE) to shooting jumpshots(MOSTLY 3-POINT BOMBS). Or leaving a selfish player (COLLIN DENNIS) on the court in critical situations. Dennis passed up a wide open Tramiel to miss the last shot of the game.

Or anything resembling a coach. I've never seen a coach that was so dead set on going away from what is working all game (GOING INSIDE) to shooting jumpshots(MOSTLY 3-POINT BOMBS). Or leaving a selfish player (COLLIN DENNIS) on the court in critical situations. Dennis passed up a wide open Tramiel to miss the last shot of the game.

I don't recall ever establishing an inside game last night. We didnt' even have a single offensive board in the 1st half.

I don't recall ever establishing an inside game last night. We didnt' even have a single offensive board in the 1st half.

Tramiel did play well before getting into foul trouble.

But you're mostly right. Our guards carried us last night...anyone who says otherwise wasn't paying attention.

Tramiel did play well before getting into foul trouble.

But you're mostly right. Our guards carried us last night...anyone who says otherwise wasn't paying attention.

You're right, I wasn't paying attention. I just watched the entire game. It wasn't the bigs that controlled. It was driving to the hoop and dishing that WKU couldn't handle. But you're right I wasted two hours of my night by watching a game, which I already knew the outcome of before it started. I'll find something else to do whenever NT is playing. Because there is a better than 90 percent chance that JJ will coach the game away.

You're right, I wasn't paying attention. I just watched the entire game. It wasn't the bigs that controlled. It was driving to the hoop and dishing that WKU couldn't handle. But you're right I wasted two hours of my night by watching a game, which I already knew the outcome of before it started. I'll find something else to do whenever NT is playing. Because there is a better than 90 percent chance that JJ will coach the game away.

Usually when people mention "going inside" in the context you did, it is refering to the big guys. So sorry you felt I was criticizing you.

(BTW - better than a 90% chance we'll lost when JJ is coaching...I mean I know our record isn't stellar, but we are over .500 you know)

I'm also not sure how you can bitch about all the jumpers we shot, considering we shot 31% from behind the arc. Great percentage? Not really, but that is equal to shooting almost 50% from INSIDE the arc points wise - which very few teams do. If you look at the numbers, our FG% in the 2nd half was almost as high as it was in the first half. That shows we lost because of defense, not offense.

Another constant talking point you(and others) have made in the past is about how "awful" we are shooting FT. We hit 16-18 from the stripe last night and are above 70% for the season.

So, yeah, sometimes I do wonder how closely you pay attention. I'm not saying I don't see issues with this team, not at all. But just about every board I've ever visited criticizes coaching decisions, shot selction, FT shooting, turnovers, jacking up 3's, calling timeouts, not calling timeouts, player development, etc, etc.

Hell, apparently there isn't a coach in America who can coach worth crap.

Edited by CMJ

Definitely another upsetting loss, again. We don't seem capable of putting anybody away this year. We play directly with our competition (except Houston) in every game and cannot seem to pull it out at the end in most of the big games. I was hoping that we had finally found a clutch time go to guy earlier in the season in TT, but that unfortunately only lasted three games. I like the individual talent on this team, but we do not play together as a cohesive unit, which means that I have to attribute many of our problems to coaching. Very few fast break points for us and too many defensive breakdowns late in the game. Just a really bad passing team overall with poor decision making by almost everyone. I like the players talent and hustle a lot, but we're just not getting it done. This team is really an enigma, and I hope that JJ and company can still find a way to get it together before tourney time.

Greenbat,

It is amazing that we won 23 games and got to the tournament with JJ, or that we won 20 games back to back years for only the second time in school history. This has obviously been a basketball hotbed for sometime and JJ has come in and ruined it.

I have just come to realize that for this year we are a young team that doesnt know how to win yet. With the way the Belt is, if we can somehow figure how to win these close games then we have as good as chance as anybody to win this thing. However I will be very disappointed if we dont have a big season next year. Besides Collin and Adam, everybody who is playing this year is either soph. or junior.

First time to see the Mean Green this year. My take.

Positives for this game:

• 88.9% FT % (Dang! NT can hit FTs)

• NT made smart fouls sending poor WKU FT shooters to the line instead of giving up easy buckets.

• Ramiel is a very good player and gave WKU fits.

Negatives:

• NT got out rebounded and allowed 9 offensive rebounds for the toppers. Killer!

• Lack of intensity on defense late in the game. Tired?

• poor shot selection late (long 3 with 15 seconds to go for example)

AJ Slaughter was tough in the second half, but I disagree with JJ that a lot of Slaughter's shots were contested. Some of them were and he is a real good player no doubt.

Overall I thought NT played well at a tough venue. EA Diddle Arena can get pretty loud and WKU always brings a big crowd to NT games.

Collin Dennis may have been fould on the last shot he made. No replay to confirm though.

Again, WKU announcers are the kings of homersville. Good grief it is annoying to listen to these clowns. Don't get me started on the WKU football experience with anoying announcers.

Can someone explain why people keep complaining about NT's lack of point guard? I'm certain that Johnson has been running point pretty well. Not only does he lead the team in assists, but he's a good scorer as well. He's faster and better than Josh White would ever be as a point guard.

I think JJ should change up the lineup again. Johnson at point. TT and McCoy at shooting guard. And then Tramiel and George. I don't think Johnson and White should start together, there's just no point.

Can someone explain why people keep complaining about NT's lack of point guard? I'm certain that Johnson has been running point pretty well. Not only does he lead the team in assists, but he's a good scorer as well. He's faster and better than Josh White would ever be as a point guard.

I think JJ should change up the lineup again. Johnson at point. TT and McCoy at shooting guard. And then Tramiel and George. I don't think Johnson and White should start together, there's just no point.

Thats just ironic. If you have the Western Kentucky game on tape, go check out the last 15 seconds...shot clock off, down by 2 and Dom decides that he ought to jack up an off-the-dribble three pointer...this is at least the second time he's done that this season. Decision making is the biggest part of running the point...and Dom's is VERY suspect.

I agree that he's more of a point than Josh and that Dom and Josh should be on the floor together considerably less frequently...but I'm not satisfied with our overall point guard play this season, and I pray JJ address is it through recruiting (preferrably with a big JC PG).

And we'll have a true center in Big Ben.

(I can't decide if I want to call him Big Ben or Fort Knox)

Ummm...lets tap the breaks. He's a Howerton-esque project...don't expect miracles next season.

Now, Cameron Spencer...he may be the defensive interior pressence we've been lacking