Proposed Bill To Congress To End Bcs

NT80

While I very much agree that the BCS system is broken and corrupt, I can't help but to think that we should be careful what we wish for. I can't imagine North Texas being included in any D1 playoff. I don't see them allowing a Sun Belt school the luxury of playing for a national championship. If the BCS is broken up, you can be sure that it will still only benefit your traditional powers and not lay the framework for really cool sports moments such as the NCAA basketball tourney.

A boycott! Fans should refuse to attend or watch the bowl games, but that will never happen.

A noble suggestion but in our sports crazed society it'll never happen. Hell, the top schools have waiting list of fans who want to buy $75.00/game season tickets. And that's after they cough up mega moola for the PSL.

While I very much agree that the BCS system is broken and corrupt, I can't help but to think that we should be careful what we wish for. I can't imagine North Texas being included in any D1 playoff. I don't see them allowing a Sun Belt school the luxury of playing for a national championship. If the BCS is broken up, you can be sure that it will still only benefit your traditional powers and not lay the framework for really cool sports moments such as the NCAA basketball tourney.

I don't think a playoff hurts us anymore than being in the Sun Belt hurts us now in terms of playing for a national championship. We would have to go undefeated for 2+ years before people MIGHT consider ranking us high enough to even finish in the top 4, yet alone playing for a title.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Dude, it's already been presented and discussed in the other topic on this subject. If anyone thinks this present system gives us "nonAQ" members a chance, I've only seen evidence to the contrary.

Other anti-BCS, pro Sun Belt in playoffs topic

And there's no way we SHOULD get a chance to play for a National Championship with the quality of opponents we have, even if we went undefeated for two years. Sure, it's unfair bc there's really no way to rectify the situation given conference structures, but the yearly complaining about the BCS is getting old.

Sorry, we play in the Sun Belt. We have 2 or 3 games every year against top competition, and, EVEN if we went in there and won, it wouldn't be as worthy as the teams who have to do it all season long.

And there's no way we SHOULD get a chance to play for a National Championship with the quality of opponents we have, even if we went undefeated for two years. Sure, it's unfair bc there's really no way to rectify the situation given conference structures, but the yearly complaining about the BCS is getting old.

Sorry, we play in the Sun Belt. We have 2 or 3 games every year against top competition, and, EVEN if we went in there and won, it wouldn't be as worthy as the teams who have to do it all season long.

So by that logic, our basketball team should never have played in New Orleans in 2007.

So by that logic, our basketball team should never have played in New Orleans in 2007.

The college basketball system rewards teams that get in against inferior competition and get hot at the right time. Well, it's a lot easier to get hot when you haven't had to get up for EVERY game like you would if you were in a power conference. At least in the NBA, you have to win a series. Now, college basketball is quite a different animal than football, since putting together a successful basketball team is much cheaper and easier and the distribution of power isn't as skewed.

I know, I know, everyone loves a Cinderella, but if they had to play the top teams all season long or had to win in a series, 90% of them wouldn't be there.

Guest GrayEagleOne

If a team wins that has to play hard to win in EVERY game, and does win, then that team should be a lock to win the national championship. So who needs a playoff? And, where do you draw the line on conference strength?

You say that the Sun Belt should never be a part of a playoff system but what about the Mountain West? Should Utah, or Brigham Young, or TCU never be part of the playoff system because they play UNLV and San Diego State? What of the strong teams that schedule us; should they be excluded from the playoff as well?

That's a little analgous of not giving Wyoming a vote in the presidential election because the don't have very many people. EVERYONE should have the chance, period. When every team has a chance through their conference at the championship then, and only then, is the the competition fair.

The best (in tems of fairness and national interest) championship series is NCAA basketball. Even the team from the weakest conference has a CHANCE at the national title. It's possible no one from the lower conferences will ever win the national championship but they at least have a chance. Little schools like Davidson and Gonzaga have gone several rounds deep and made a lot of money for them and their conference.

Which brings up the main reason why any system less than one that gives everyone a chance is unfair...money. To deny a team of the same standing (FBS) a chance for a big payday is grossly unfair and unsportsmanlike. Isn't the NCAA supposed to endorse sportsmanship and fairness? The big guys always taking the big money and throwing the others a crumb is exactly why the American public looks down on our sports system. No one likes greed.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

If a team wins that has to play hard to win in EVERY game, and does win, then that team should be a lock to win the national championship. So who needs a playoff? And, where do you draw the line on conference strength?

You say that the Sun Belt should never be a part of a playoff system but what about the Mountain West? Should Utah, or Brigham Young, or TCU never be part of the playoff system because they play UNLV and San Diego State? What of the strong teams that schedule us; should they be excluded from the playoff as well?

That's a little analgous of not giving Wyoming a vote in the presidential election because the don't have very many people. EVERYONE should have the chance, period. When every team has a chance through their conference at the championship then, and only then, is the the competition fair.

The best (in tems of fairness and national interest) championship series is NCAA basketball. Even the team from the weakest conference has a CHANCE at the national title. It's possible no one from the lower conferences will ever win the national championship but they at least have a chance. Little schools like Davidson and Gonzaga have gone several rounds deep and made a lot of money for them and their conference.

Which brings up the main reason why any system less than one that gives everyone a chance is unfair...money. To deny a team of the same standing (FBS) a chance for a big payday is grossly unfair and unsportsmanlike. Isn't the NCAA supposed to endorse sportsmanship and fairness? The big guys always taking the big money and throwing the others a crumb is exactly why the American public looks down on our sports system. No one likes greed.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbsup:

Bingo!!

Im suprised that more haven't realized this. I'm all for a playoff as being the only fair way to decide a champion. However, knowing that the playoff system will probably screw the non-bcs even more, Im actually against it, until it is fair to everyone. Till then, I enjoy seeing the bcs chaos, and i like hearing their douche fans whining. F-em

Utah should not be in the National Title conversation. They play powderpuffs compared to the other teams. I wasn't making a suggestion for playoffs. I was telling you why playoffs fail to give you who the best team is, and that most of this whining comes from teams that have no business discussing a national championship bc they simply do NOT play against tough teams, and, if they did, would get their monkey asses handed to them.

Do YOU think Utah or TCU or Boise State could come up with 4 out of 5 wins on a consistent basis vs. Oklahoma, Texas, Tech, Missouri, OSU? Well, if you wanna get a shot at a National Title, this is the kinda thing a team in the Big 12 has to do. They have to go into stadiums that pack 3 and 4 times what ours do and WIN, week-in, week-out.

I'm just telling you what most of the country already thinks. They don't WANT to see Utah get their asses handed to them by a big team 90% of the time for the 10% of the time that they'll make a game of it. That's why every year they rank the games and shitty matchups are lambasted. There wasn't a whole lot of that Hawaii talk after they got their business handled by Georgia last year.

And that's what happens.

And to all the talk that it's about money... OF COURSE IT IS! Football is a business. That's why you buy tickets, concessions, etc. It's a revenue sport. And BOWLS exist, TELEVISION COVERAGE exists, media coverage exists NOT to support college athletics, but to make money. And a LOT more people will watch the big name teams matchup than they will the big underdog matchups.

Utah should not be in the National Title conversation. They play powderpuffs compared to the other teams. I wasn't making a suggestion for playoffs. I was telling you why playoffs fail to give you who the best team is, and that most of this whining comes from teams that have no business discussing a national championship bc they simply do NOT play against tough teams, and, if they did, would get their monkey asses handed to them.

Do YOU think Utah or TCU or Boise State could come up with 4 out of 5 wins on a consistent basis vs. Oklahoma, Texas, Tech, Missouri, OSU? Well, if you wanna get a shot at a National Title, this is the kinda thing a team in the Big 12 has to do. They have to go into stadiums that pack 3 and 4 times what ours do and WIN, week-in, week-out.

I'm just telling you what most of the country already thinks. They don't WANT to see Utah get their asses handed to them by a big team 90% of the time for the 10% of the time that they'll make a game of it. That's why every year they rank the games and shitty matchups are lambasted. There wasn't a whole lot of that Hawaii talk after they got their business handled by Georgia last year.

And that's what happens.

And to all the talk that it's about money... OF COURSE IT IS! Football is a business. That's why you buy tickets, concessions, etc. It's a revenue sport. And BOWLS exist, TELEVISION COVERAGE exists, media coverage exists NOT to support college athletics, but to make money. And a LOT more people will watch the big name teams matchup than they will the big underdog matchups.

Are you a BCS commissioner in disguise?

To claim that non-AQ conferences simply can't compete and therefore should never be given the opportunity is just laughable. And any playoff system that leaves out the non-AQ conferences is a sham.

And who cares if they don't stand a chance?? The greatest moments in college sports is not Duke and North Carolina making the tournament every year, it's that little school winning the Pioneer conference tournament and their 5,000 students storming the court. It's not Florida/Texas/USC/Oklahoma/Ohio State in the BCS title game every year, it's Boise State shocking Oklahoma, East Carolina knocking of Virginia Tech, or Buffalo coming out of nowhere to beat Ball State and go to their first bowl game ever.

If the small schools can't compete, it should be settled on the field... not by a handful of conference commissioners trying to protect what they unjustly claim as their turf. And by opening up the possibility, however slim, that the underfunded programs can play all the way to a national championship it can only help their recruiting and bring about parity in Div I-A football.

And that's what happens.

You couldn't be more right. This is why the basketball tournament is so poorly received by the public, suffers from poor ratings and doesn't capture the nation's attention each spring.

Guys...this is real simple when you come to the realization that NCAA basketball is NOT NCAA football.

The NCAA basketball post-season tourney is RUN by the NCAA, everything from seeding to organizing the events to televising the games. That one organization pockets ALL the money from the tournament, then divides it up as it sees fit.

NCAA FBS football postseason play is entirely owned and operated on a conference level. The conferences setup up the bowl arrangements and negotiate the TV deals. They keep all the money from their own deals. The BCS is done the same way...just a wider agreement between the conferences and the NCAA doesn't have much of a say:

"The BCS was created by formal agreement among six conferences, and has evolved to allow other conferences to participate to a lesser degree. It is not formally recognized by the NCAA as a collegiate championship." -- Wiki - BCS

Going to a playoff system is more than just changing around postseason play, it is putting postseason play into the hands of a completely different organization than what is currently running it. It would be asking the Big 6 power conferences to give up control of ALL of the money that they currently have a mortal lock on and put it, instead, into the hands of a separate entity that would act (supposedly) on behalf of all teams under the NCAA FBS umbrella. Right now, the power 6 are playing nicely with the rest of us and allowing us limited access only if we meet their guidelines. They do some revenue sharing, but again...you have to be invited under THEIR rules.

I think it's more likely that a total restructuring of what teams are FBS teams and what aren't will happen before we ever see a playoff in FBS football....ie, the Power 6 break away or are recategorized as FBS I-A and the rest as FBS I-AA where the money wouldn't be split so many potential ways. But that's just my HSO.

If the NCAA finally said that they would hold a championship for the last college sport to not have one, the Big 6 won't put up a fight.

The NCAA doesn't have the guts to do it. The Bowls, media, and $$ control the top end of college football. I love the controversy the BCS and it's polls create, it shows the falsehood that is polls to begin with...an opinion about who is best. The only true way to determine a football champ is like every other level of football....on the field!