Proposed Bill To Congress To End Bcs

NT80

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guys...this is real simple when you come to the realization that NCAA basketball is NOT NCAA football.

The NCAA basketball post-season tourney is RUN by the NCAA, everything from seeding to organizing the events to televising the games. That one organization pockets ALL the money from the tournament, then divides it up as it sees fit.

NCAA FBS football postseason play is entirely owned and operated on a conference level. The conferences setup up the bowl arrangements and negotiate the TV deals. They keep all the money from their own deals. The BCS is done the same way...just a wider agreement between the conferences and the NCAA doesn't have much of a say:

"The BCS was created by formal agreement among six conferences, and has evolved to allow other conferences to participate to a lesser degree. It is not formally recognized by the NCAA as a collegiate championship." -- Wiki - BCS

Going to a playoff system is more than just changing around postseason play, it is putting postseason play into the hands of a completely different organization than what is currently running it. It would be asking the Big 6 power conferences to give up control of ALL of the money that they currently have a mortal lock on and put it, instead, into the hands of a separate entity that would act (supposedly) on behalf of all teams under the NCAA FBS umbrella. Right now, the power 6 are playing nicely with the rest of us and allowing us limited access only if we meet their guidelines. They do some revenue sharing, but again...you have to be invited under THEIR rules.

I think it's more likely that a total restructuring of what teams are FBS teams and what aren't will happen before we ever see a playoff in FBS football....ie, the Power 6 break away or are recategorized as FBS I-A and the rest as FBS I-AA where the money wouldn't be split so many potential ways. But that's just my HSO.

I can't really dispute that point but what other sport does not have an NCAA champion? Even the rest of football except the FBS has a playoff system to a national championship as do the other sports.

As to Congress' having a part in the proceedings, I believe that they determine it to be under the anti-trust laws (whether it is or isn't is debatable).

I can't really dispute that point but what other sport does not have an NCAA champion? Even the rest of football except the FBS has a playoff system to a national championship as do the other sports.

As to Congress' having a part in the proceedings, I believe that they determine it to be under the anti-trust laws (whether it is or isn't is debatable).

When you are talking about a few people (or organizations) manipulating and controling that much money( and who has access to it), then IMHO you're talking about monopolies. Which are subject to anti-trust actions.

I think it's more likely that a total restructuring of what teams are FBS teams and what aren't will happen before we ever see a playoff in FBS football....ie, the Power 6 break away or are recategorized as FBS I-A and the rest as FBS I-AA where the money wouldn't be split so many potential ways. But that's just my HSO.

If only it could happen....

Last thing our government needs to be involved in is COLLEGE FOOTBALL. There are a lot bigger problems in this country then BCS.

We have banks failing, auto makers failing, tremendous job loss, crushing national debt, people losing their homes…and the Congress of the United States of America wants to “fix college football.”

How BASS ACKWARDS is that?

I would rather see our government fix those major problems, many minor problems, and then get around to fixing D1-A football if there is time.

Well, it appears that this is ONE thing on which Obama and congressional Republicans (some, anyway) agree.

We talk about University Presidents being pro-sports or not, I think Obama will be a very pro-sports U.S. President. I know he likes to shoot hoops to exercise and watches NFL football, probably likes the college sports too. Perhaps RV should send him a complimentary MGC membership, or maybe Harry could get him to join the board here??

No, it doesn't NEED fixing. People NEED to eat. Our money NEEDS to count for something. We NEED healthcare. Addressing the state of college football isn't anywhere close to a NEED.

You're right, of course. This does make me wonder however, how Theodore Roosevelt made time to cajole college football into changing, with all the work he had to do with passing child labor laws, fighting the "malefactors of great wealth", etc.

No, it doesn't NEED fixing. People NEED to eat. Our money NEEDS to count for something. We NEED healthcare. Addressing the state of college football isn't anywhere close to a NEED.

Chill. The Government isn't a save-all entity for a free market society. Companies with poor products, financial mismanagement, and overlarge CEO egos are doing it to themselves.

Chill. The Government isn't a save-all entity for a free market society. Companies with poor products, financial mismanagement, and overlarge CEO egos are doing it to themselves.

Can we throw unions under this bus as well?

still no point. nobody's forcing schools to participate in it. there are options to the BCS. this is simply about the trillionth thing they need to be worrying about.

I don't think anyone in Congress, including Barton, is seriously considering forcing a change in college football. It appears to me that government never really fixes anything... they either screw it up more or they delay the solutions that free markets would have brought about on its own.

As I said earlier, the quickest and most effective way to force a change in the BCS is for fans to simply not watch the bowl games.