Since we actually had some interesting musical conversation going on the other day...and since football talk is a waste of time, I don't care about the NFL (except my dominating fantasy team) and the men's hoop team has a week off...I figured I'd throw out my top 20 albums of 2008...I always compile a list like this, then burn a bunch of CD's with a song from each and give them as X-Mas presents:

1. April by Sun Kil Moon

2. Missiles by The Dears

3. Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes

4. Evil Urges by My Morning Jacket

5. Consolers of the Lonely by The Raconteurs

6. For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver

7. Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

8. The Last Tycoon by Peter Moren

9. Stay Positive by The Hold Steady

10. Attack & Release by the Black Keys

11. Stalk that Myth by Bowery Boy Blue

12. The Stand Ins by Okkervil River

13. Portland Cello Project by Various Artists

14. Narrow Stairs by Death Cab for Cutie

15. Canopy Glow by Anathallo

16. Rook by Shearwater

17. Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea by Silver Jews

18. Forfeit/Fortune by Crooked Fingers

19. Modern Guilt by Beck

20. Keep Color by The Republic Tigers

Thoughts? Your additions? Haiku?

Since we actually had some interesting musical conversation going on the other day...and since football talk is a waste of time, I don't care about the NFL (except my dominating fantasy team) and the men's hoop team has a week off...I figured I'd throw out my top 20 albums of 2008...I always compile a list like this, then burn a bunch of CD's with a song from each and give them as X-Mas presents:

1. April by Sun Kil Moon

2. Missiles by The Dears

3. Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes

4. Evil Urges by My Morning Jacket

5. Consolers of the Lonely by The Raconteurs

6. For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver

7. Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

8. The Last Tycoon by Peter Moren

9. Stay Positive by The Hold Steady

10. Attack & Release by the Black Keys

11. Stalk that Myth by Bowery Boy Blue

12. The Stand Ins by Okkervil River

13. Portland Cello Project by Various Artists

14. Narrow Stairs by Death Cab for Cutie

15. Canopy Glow by Anathallo

16. Rook by Shearwater

17. Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea by Silver Jews

18. Forfeit/Fortune by Crooked Fingers

19. Modern Guilt by Beck

20. Keep Color by The Republic Tigers

Thoughts? Your additions? Haiku?

Give Nickelback their due or get the f off the board!

• Downvote 1

Dude, I think the free market can tell you what's really good:

Nickelback's new album

Now that's what I call music 29

The Twilight Soundtrack

David Cook

High School Musical 3 soundtrack

Il Devo

Faith Hill's Christmas Album

Miley Cyrus

Jonas Brothers

Rascal Flatts

Hinder

Toby Keith

I can go on forever, man. Good stuff - all of it.

• Downvote 1

I won't do 20...but I'll do my favs

Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

M83 - Saturdays = Youth

Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

Beck - Modern Guilt

Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line

Black Kids- Partie Traumatic

and some letdowns...

Death Cab - Narrow Stairs

Bloc Party - Intimacy

Kings of Leon - Only by the Night

Edited by mdh0192

Bloc Party - Intimacy

Seconded...a million times over.

Silent Alarm is still one of my all-time favorite albums...but my love for Bloc Party has since all but disapeared. The writing was on the wall in Weekend in the City as to how they were changing their sound, but the subsequent internet releases, EPs and now this new album have turned them from great Brit post-punk into glorified house music. Very disappointing...and what is worse is that I think this what their new fan base wants so they won't get the negative feedback I think they need to go back and find the Silent Alarm sound again

AC/DC - BLACK ICE

GO MEAN GREEN !!!

As a huge AC/DC fan I was excited for this album but was a little let down after all the hype. There are some good songs but nothing that makes me scream "HELL YES!"

One album I did really enjoy was The Toadies "No Deliverance" a return to good music and a big f you to all that edge cry baby rock crap.

Stay Positive was too top heavy.

Tapes n' Tapes had a pretty good release.

Editors was swell.

Stay Positive goes in two different directions...half the songs are their normal raucous sing-a-longs...the other half slow down quite a bit and show more depth, which is a bit jarring when you break out the Hold Steady...but they work for me, it took a few extra listens though, same with the new MMJ. Editors new album was good as well...saw them last winter right after the new CD dropped...great live show.

As a huge AC/DC fan I was excited for this album but was a little let down after all the hype. There are some good songs but nothing that makes me scream "HELL YES!"

One album I did really enjoy was The Toadies "No Deliverance" a return to good music and a big f you to all that edge cry baby rock crap.

Toadies are greatness...a couple of their new songs I really dug...but its so hard to hear new Toadies and try to not put it up against the genius that is Rubberneck.

I rarely buy ALBUMS anymore, usually singles, do people really still make thematically related song groupings? The internet will kill that soon.

Of the actual entire albums I have listened to in the past year, here are the ones I liked... more than I disliked.

Hot Chip - Made in the Dark: Not as strong as there earlier work.

eGfJ4shG4ak

Bluejuice - Problems: Vitriol plays in my head all day, every day, every waking moment.

ldBhDmvWFXE

Actual song starts at 1:10, also, possible NSFW, depends on your work.

Chris Knight - Heart of Stone: His songs about murder to songs not about murder ratio gets a little low here.

Nothing from Heart of Stone on YT.

Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works: As JD can tell you, there just isn't enough anger in my life.

xMEYLlDThZU

I absolutely loved the Toadies for the longest time. Backslider is probably still in my top ten, and the reunion show they played in Lower Greenville on St. Patrick's day was absolute greatness. Sadly after that show, which was billed as their last appearance together, they went on to play about ten more KDGE sponsored last ever shows and I really just quit caring. I'll listen to Rubberneck, Feeler, and Hell Below/Stars Above all the way through without thinking twice but I just have zero desire to give No Deliverance any play. I might have actually preferred that the Burden Brothers kept it going. They put on a heck of a show.

Edited by Green P1

Rubberneck is one of those rare albums were ever single song is flat out great. No duds, no "ok" songs, pure great.

Couldn't agree more...their live shows are 2 or 3 songs from Hell Below...2 or 3 from No Deliverance...then the entire Rubberneck album. No Deliverance was about a week from coming out when I saw them last and Todd actually apologized for playing their new stuff.

I'm kind of partial to garage rock/hard pop, and a few records I liked were:

Infinite Soul--the best of the Grip Weeds

Psychedelic Sunrise--Chesterfield Kings

The Amazing Hat Trick--Vibeke Saugestad

La Conquistadora--the Krayolas

Little Daggers--Val Emmich

Check out the Black Keys

I'm feeling old--I have no idea who any of these people are (except Rush).

The Raconteurs - Old Enough

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus Dig!!!

Black Keys - Psychotic Girl (no video)

Edited by Censored by Laurie