Where's Dodge?

UNT 90 Grad

The next NT head man...DeLoach?

I am curious - is there any fan on this forum that wouldn't say "hell yes" to that proposition without thinking twice? I know that Deloach was still at UCLA with a good job when we hired Dodge but I wonder what would have happened if he had wanted the head coach job. Does he even want to be a head coach? I know that the stats do not tell the whole story this year; but this year's defense is MILES ahead of last years in my mind. It took them awhile to get there but last year was just comical. ULM second half seemed to be the turning point for this year's D... they have played pretty consistent Deloach ball since half time of that game. I am starting to see "glimpses" of what I remember about the Delach D...

So just curious - would anyone on this board be bothered if RV said "Deloach, you are the head coach now... Dodge, you have been reassigned to OC."...?

I am curious - is there any fan on this forum that wouldn't say "hell yes" to that proposition without thinking twice? I know that Deloach was still at UCLA with a good job when we hired Dodge but I wonder what would have happened if he had wanted the head coach job. Does he even want to be a head coach? I know that the stats do not tell the whole story this year; but this year's defense is MILES ahead of last years in my mind. It took them awhile to get there but last year was just comical. ULM second half seemed to be the turning point for this year's D... they have played pretty consistent Deloach ball since half time of that game. I am starting to see "glimpses" of what I remember about the Delach D...

So just curious - would anyone on this board be bothered if RV said "Deloach, you are the head coach now... Dodge, you have been reassigned to OC."...?

There is no way is say this year's defense is MILES ahead of last year's. We are on pace to have a statistically worse season than last year, and I imagine we will. There has been some improvement over the course of the season, which would be expected with the number of freshmen we have been playing on D, particularly at the start of the season. But we just gave up 46 points to FAU--last year we gave up 30 to them when they had a far better offense going.

I have confidence in DeLoach--he has done it before, I know he can do it again--as a DC. But I haven't seen anything since he's come back that would merit a promotion to HC.

There is no way is say this year's defense is MILES ahead of last year's. We are on pace to have a statistically worse season than last year, and I imagine we will. There has been some improvement over the course of the season, which would be expected with the number of freshmen we have been playing on D, particularly at the start of the season. But we just gave up 46 points to FAU--last year we gave up 30 to them when they had a far better offense going.

I have confidence in DeLoach--he has done it before, I know he can do it again--as a DC. But I haven't seen anything since he's come back that would merit a promotion to HC.

I happen to agree with Stebo on this - I think the defense is playing a lot better than even just the first 6 games of this season, not to mention last year. True we gave up 46 points to FAU, but it sure doesn't help when your offense can't score and can't stop turning the ball over. I don't what the heck has happened to this offense.

I like it, this would result in a massive overhaul of the coaching staff assistants and this move would make Dodge focus more on the offense instead of feeling the need to managing the entire team.

Well, I guess that I think a lot like the guys at Tina Yothers do... I didn't do any research for that and I had not read their blog today... but it looks like they continue to write what I think. TY is one of the best blogs out there and is a very good sports blog on top of that.

Still, only one answer to the question... and it was a yes, so that is nice to see... but RV has the power to reassign TD to another job. What would happen if he were to be reassigned as the OC? BTW, someone mentioned in a previous thread that Matt Simon was reassigned to get him away from the field his last year, his reassignment was to find a suitable replacement coach for... himself, thus he quit. At least that is how the tale goes. The deep snapper... Tim (forgetting his last name right now) was a regular at the Tavern those days and he told me the funniest story about Simon calling his players from West Texas, he kept calling them to tell them he was driving to interview for a job at Arizona or ASU or something, that guy kinda went off the deep end when he got reassigned. Funny stuff, and it might even be true, Tim was a pretty honest dude. He was from El Paso, anyone remember his last name? He was the one that had the unfortunate job of snapping to no punter at the OU game thus evoking a roar of laughter from the Sooner faithful and embarrasing me and my little traveling group of fans yet another time. Those were the days... the days of Simon ball!

Careful, I nearly got shot for suggesting that Dodge be hired as the OC instead of HC two years ago. I can't help but wonder if Jim Harbaugh or Jimbo Fisher would have taken this job or just laughed in our face when they heard our offer.

I'm for it, we can't play any worse. Maybe instead of having the "Green Team" to sub in we could have the "Green Head Coach" to sub in during a game at half or for the last couple games?

I don't think there is any question that Deloach is a good DC but man that just does not always equate to a good HC. Obviously at this point I think anybody is a better option than Dodge but I am in a camp that says we need to clean house and get new coaching blood from top to bottom that are EXPEREINCED in the college level. If the new HC wants to keep Deloach then I would have no problems with it and chances are he would want Deloach back on this staff based on his NT track record.

Careful, I nearly got shot for suggesting that Dodge be hired as the OC instead of HC two years ago. I can't help but wonder if Jim Harbaugh or Jimbo Fisher would have taken this job or just laughed in our face when they heard our offer.

I think we had a shot at Harbaugh, my understanding is that he really wanted to come here. I don't think we were on Jimbo Fisher's radar.

Edited by Green Dozer

I don't think there is any question that Deloach is a good DC but man that just does not always equate to a good HC. Obviously at this point I think anybody is a better option than Dodge but I am in a camp that says we need to clean house and get new coaching blood from top to bottom that are EXPEREINCED in the college level. If the new HC wants to keep Deloach then I would have no problems with it and chances are he would want Deloach back on this staff based on his NT track record.

Green Mean,

Let me throw this wrinkle in, and it is just my thoughts (I know nooooothing, as Shultz used to say). What if RV really did hire Deloach, and the under the table the deal was that if Dodge did not work out, then Deloach would be promoted to head coach. Just wondering?

Which brings up another question, why wasn't Deloach considered for the head coaching position? Everybody knew the coach at UCLA was in trouble, so Deloach surely did. He also did not know that Neuheisel would be the new coach and keep him.

These are just my thoughts and opinion, that is it.

I like it, this would result in a massive overhaul of the coaching staff assistants and this move would make Dodge focus more on the offense instead of feeling the need to managing the entire team.

I don't think Dodge is focused on the entire team now nor was he last year. Does the name Mendoza ring a bell? No, typical of an offensive minded coach, the other phases of the game are afterthoughts.

From a coaching perspective, I say DeLoach can absolutely do the job. I missed the radio show tonight, though and have never heard him speak in public---a BIG part of being a D1 HC. I've also heard that he never did like recruiting all that much (during his past stint here)--I have no idea how true that is, but am just bringing that up b/c I think the real question is whether or not he'd even want the job. Regardless of what happens with Dodge, I'd like for DeLoach to be a permanent fixture here in whatever capacity he'd like....and wouldn't have had a problem with Bliel getting that same chance during this last transition.

I think that Dodge is still a great 'face' for the program. The HC job is "supposedly" not so much about Xs and Os as it is about setting a direction for the program, selling the program to the public, hiring good assistants that you can point in one direction and then let them do their jobs. To me, this current situation seems like it could be salvaged if we were able to make a few specific changes to the staff. I definitely am not an insider, though...so that's just pure speculation.

Funny stuff, and it might even be true, Tim was a pretty honest dude. He was from El Paso, anyone remember his last name?

Tim Christian. We were in the same fraternity and he really was a great guy. I remember he would stop by the house during two-a-days and smoke cigarettes with us between practices. He had a lot of good stories about Simon.