I'm Now Pro-dodge

shaft

I think Dodge did the right thing having the whole team tested.

I think he knew the NCAA test was going to raise a red flag, so he had the whole team tested to see the entire scope of the "problem."

That move takes guts. There are lots of organizations that don't test everyone, because they don't want to know the full scope of their employees drugs use. Most school districts and cities don't test every employee because they don't want to know, because they don't want the public head-ache of dealing with the issue.

Dodge decision to know the full scope shows two things;

1. A desire to deal with issue as a whole.

2. A complete miscalculation of how the open records process works.

I think he knew the NCAA test was going to raise a red flag, so he had the whole team tested to see the entire scope of the "problem."

That move takes guts. There are lots of organizations that don't test everyone, because they don't want to know the full scope of their employees drugs use. Most school districts and cities don't test every employee because they don't want to know, because they don't want the public head-ache of dealing with the issue.

Dodge's decision shows that he does not understand public relations as we are now the laughing stock of the college world (not just the college football world.). North Texas is no longer the music school or the commuter school, but is now the pothead school. I've had people at my work asking me today if Josh Howard played college basketball at UNT. That Dodge tested his players for drugs in a way that left the results vulnerable to the media is idiotic. I can understand taking a stand against drug use, Dodge just should not have done it in a way that is embarrassing to all alumni of UNT.

Dodge's decision shows that he does not understand public relations as we are now the laughing stock of the college world (not just the college football world.). North Texas is no longer the music school or the commuter school, but is now the pothead school. I've had people at my work asking me today if Josh Howard played college basketball at UNT. That Dodge tested his players for drugs in a way that left the results vulnerable to the media is idiotic. I can understand taking a stand against drug use, Dodge just should not have done it in a way that is embarrassing to all alumni of UNT.

umm I am thinking Dodge had his hands tied by the NCAA when the random athletes were tested and came back positive. I have a hard time believing he did this just because he thought there might be a problem.

Dodge's decision shows that he does not understand public relations as we are now the laughing stock of the college world (not just the college football world.). North Texas is no longer the music school or the commuter school, but is now the pothead school. I've had people at my work asking me today if Josh Howard played college basketball at UNT.

That's because it's today's news. Most people will not remember this story a couple of years from now.

Guest GrayEagleOne

umm I am thinking Dodge had his hands tied by the NCAA when the random athletes were tested and came back positive. I have a hard time believing he did this just because he thought there might be a problem.

I'm thinking what you're thinking on this one, Bowler.

However, that's still a side issue to what's happening on the field. Unless the 15 are his very best athletes why can't the 71 that didn't test positive at least be competitive? We still need a quick turnaround and start playing a little harder and closer or we're going to lose fans big time.

Dodge and RV, being completely stupid, miscalculated the open records info. RV might be the worst AD in Div. 1 sports. He is now a laughing stock of his peers.

This situation could have been handled internally but Dodge and RV are too stupid to know how to do it.

I do not condone any violations but you have to remember that when a kid drinks a sip of alcohol at a party or even is just present at a party that they get a MIP.

If a kid tries a hit of weed, which many young kids do, they cannot be linked with habitual users or thought of as a drug addict. These 18, 19, and 20 year kids are going to be around these things and some are weak to say no. That does not make them a criminal nor does it make them a problem for the university. If a program really wants to watch over kids, they should random test kids in big numbers each and every week. Don't tell me about the cost because that is bs. When they can afford to stay off campus on home game nights, they can perform their own internal tests cheap.

Dodge made a huge blunder. He can say its all for the kids but he just screwed the school and the entire recruiting program.

So when has TD not caused embarassment to UNT?

This isn't that big of a deal. Players get busted for doing something wrong every week.

Dodge took a pro-active measure to understand the entire scope of the issue. Instead of letting this thing get dragged out for weeks with random testing, and retesting to respond to the NCAA test, he tested everyone.

I'm not pro-pot, but I really don't think this is that big of deal. If your going to jump up and down and shout on this message board about how bad this is for the school and team, then I hope you will extend your outrage to other areas of your life. Shouldn't you demand that your school district and city drug test every employee, at the very least every new hire?

I have mixed feelings about this and really can't "blame" Dodge, but Christ, can anyone remember one coach bringing so much disarray to one program in a couple of seasons?????? If RV had a few strands of colored hair left on that head, I can guarantee it's all gray now! :o:lol:

RV might be the worst AD in Div. 1 sports. He is now a laughing stock of his peers.

I guess you are not taking into consideration all of RV's efforts in getting the student stadium vote passed which probably is the biggest hurdle in the new stadium process. Sure the team is terrible now with too many issues in the last two seasons but the new stadium plays greater into the long term success of UNT football than probably anything else.

This isn't that big of a deal. Players get busted for doing something wrong every week.

Dodge took a pro-active measure to understand the entire scope of the issue. Instead of letting this thing get dragged out for weeks with random testing, and retesting to respond to the NCAA test, he tested everyone.

I'm not pro-pot, but I really don't think this is that big of deal. If your going to jump up and down and shout on this message board about how bad this is for the school and team, then I hope you will extend your outrage to other areas of your life. Shouldn't you demand that your school district and city drug test every employee, at the very least every new hire?

I disagree.

In my observation, Dodge took a reactive measure, then didn't follow up with any real consequences when the results came back. At least, he hasn't yet.

I disagree.

In my observation, Dodge took a reactive measure, then didn't follow up with any real consequences when the results came back. At least, he hasn't yet.

How do you know that? Their sure seems to be a lot of players sitting and not playing. Their were also players in full sweats behind the bench before the game started last week. Maybe those who were positive are actually not playing. But then maybe not. 15 were positive but how many players are being thought of as guilty but were not? One player leaves the team and everyone assumes he was guilty of something. But yet people are saying that guilty players have not been reprimanded. So why would a player leave the team if he is not being reprimanded? Makes no sense.

Why have so many players left? Pot? I doubt it.

I really could care less about people smoking pot.

I could care less if Dodge wants to drug test his entire team so he can plan to lose whoever the NCAA chooses to target for their tests. I have no problem with Dodge not doing anything to those players after he found out who they are. It's really only been 2 weeks since they were all tested anyway, and they have to attend classes and are subject to more testing... I really don't get why people think nothing has been done... They've been exposed. Maybe that is enough, and if it isn't we will find out with more testing...

I would lose my job if it was found out that I smoked pot. Too much of a risk for me and others to think about using. Of course, there is a difference between what I do for a living and what a college athlete does for a living.

'Pothead' carries a stigma that is hard to shake to employers and educational institutions, and if players become identified individually, that something that these kids will have to deal with for a while, whereas another non-student athlete would never get tested and if they had failed, it would never be obvious in papers.

2 weeks ago? The NCAA was here on Oct. 1.

This was Dodge conducting his own team tests. The NCAA doesn't test for narcotics, only performance inhancers. Narcotic tests are only administered by the institution or the individual team. Dodge thought there was a problem and his suspicions were verified by a test he initiated.

This was Dodge conducting his own team tests. The NCAA doesn't test for narcotics, only performance inhancers. Narcotic tests are only administered by the institution or the individual team. Dodge thought there was a problem and his suspicions were verified by a test he initiated.

This is a good post.

You think those players at SLC don't experiment with pot? Dream on. Dodge has now lost his touch and trust with the team. You have to wonder if he really cares for his players or is he all about the cliques. (spelling?) and covering his ass.

From what I have witnessed, the upper middle class kid has as many or more issues with weed, prescription drugs and other narcotics as the stereotypical inner city kid. In my experience it stems from too much money and too much time on their hands, mommy and daddy sweeping up any problems they may have, and a sense of being above the rules and self importance.

So why did they come in to test then when they knew what the positive test was?