Drc Mean Green Hasn't Shown Everything Yet

OldTimer

I hate to let you in on the secret, but there will be no SBC crown under the Mean Green's Tree this Christmas, but there will be all kinds of nicely wrapped "goodies" in the way "improvements" over last season. GOOD GRIEF...it was the "cash cow" opener and UNT got beat. So be it...get over it and remember that we could be TX A&M fans!

Yeah - I'd hate to ever trade places with them. how could we ever handle blowing a lead and losing by four to ASU?

Has this team improved at all from last year? Some are touting the KSU game as being significantly better than the OU opener last year. But TD has now stated he played to keep the score down. NT never forced the KSU first team to punt. It is true that NT forced KSU to grind it out a bit and not score at will like OU did last year. However, how many really believe that KSU is close to as good as last year's OU. On the offensive side, NT chose to play ultra conservative and won the turnover battle but nothing else. It appears to me that TD may have decided before the game that he was going to grind it out and shorten the game when he opened with a two back set including essentially a fullback. With all off season to prepare for this game; NT apparently, in DD fashion. decided that the game was unwinnable and a 40 point loss was better than 60.

One game does not make a season and I hope and expect we will see great improvement, Saturday. However, based not so much on the performance but on NT's resurrection of DD's football strategy, I have definitely given up any plans of attending the LSU game. At least DD had a running based attack that lends itself to the turtle football strategy.

Sounds like Dodge is still figuring out the ropes in college football.

Based on what parents had to say before the game, it sounded like he had them really mentally prepared and excited to go in and steal that one.

I'm not sure what to make of all this, except this is a freebie he gets for building us long term.

He better start winning. And we better not be having this kind of debate year after year.

I hate to let you in on the secret, but there will be no SBC crown under the Mean Green's Tree this Christmas, but there will be all kinds of nicely wrapped "goodies" in the way "improvements" over last season. GOOD GRIEF...it was the "cash cow" opener and UNT got beat. So be it...get over it and remember that we could be TX A&M fans!

When I hear statements like that I think of this dialogue between Burt Lancaster and Katherine Hepburn in the move "The Rainmaker"

Lizzie: I got nothing to believe in.

Starbuck: You're a woman. Believe in that.

Lizzie: How can I, when nobody else will?

Starbuck: You got to believe it first.

......if we (students, alumni, administration and coaching staff) don't believe that we are going to go out and win every game that we show up for, then we probably never will.

Let me throw something crazy out there. Our defense was not that terrible, but our offense was strangely predictable and white bread. But we knew, realistically speaking, there was no way we were going to win this game. Is it possible that Dodge was holding back so we would have something to surprise Tulsa with?

QUONER...might I remind you that Texas A&M was a BIG favorite over Ark. State...UNT? Not so much over K-State. That does make a bit of difference in how one views the outcome of the respective games. But, just in my opinion.

Greenminer. You calling Dodge out? Or else what (as they used to say on the playground)? :lol:

One last thing: Dodge says he started coasting after OUR third possession. Take a look at the drive summary:

NT 1: 3 plays, 8 yards, Punt. Score: 0-0

KS 1: 1 play, 4 yards, Touchdown. Score: 7-0

NT 2: 3 plays, 9 yards, Punt. Score: 7-0

KS 2: 1 play, 16 yards, Fumble (recovered by NT) Score: 7-0

NT 3: 3 plays, 2 yards, Punt. Score: 7-0

This is the point where Dodge was worried about the game getting "crazy out of hand". At 8:18 left in the first quarter, down by 7 points.

If you include K-State's next drive, the score is 14-0 with 2:11 left in the first quarter when North Texas starts the 4th offensive drive of the game. This is the latest possible point from which Todd Dodge's quote can apply to being terrified of the game getting "crazy out of hand" after 3 possessions.

--------------

Since Quoner already brought it up... Let's compare to Texas A&M vs. Arkansas State and the drive summary from that game.

After both teams had completed 3 drives, the score was... 14 to 3 in favor of Texas A&M. And the only reason ASU wasn't down by 14 is because Texas A&M missed a 32 yard field goal.

So basically... If Steve Roberts played Dodgeball and went conservative after going down by 2 TDs on the road against a Big 12 team, Texas A&M is 1-0 under Mike Sherman.

Discuss...

One last thing: Dodge says he started coasting after OUR third possession. Take a look at the drive summary:

This is the point where Dodge was worried about the game getting "crazy out of hand". At 8:18 left in the first quarter, down by 7 points.

If you include K-State's next drive, the score is 14-0 with 2:11 left in the first quarter when North Texas starts the 4th offensive drive of the game. This is the latest possible point from which Todd Dodge's quote can apply to being terrified of the game getting "crazy out of hand" after 3 possessions.

--------------

Since Quoner already brought it up... Let's compare to Texas A&M vs. Arkansas State and the drive summary from that game.

After both teams had completed 3 drives, the score was... 14 to 3 in favor of Texas A&M. And the only reason ASU wasn't down by 14 is because Texas A&M missed a 32 yard field goal.

So basically... If Steve Roberts played Dodgeball and went conservative after going down by 2 TDs on the road against a Big 12 team, Texas A&M is 1-0 under Mike Sherman.

Discuss...

Alarming....very concerning.

--------------

Discuss...

I was under the impression he went uber-conservative when down 21-0, which would make sense. But if he started calling the game to keep it from getting "crazy out of hand" when it was just 7-0, then that is troubling.

...we went three-and-out on our first three possessions and I didn’t want the game to get crazy out of hand.

Very troubling, indeed, if that was his mindset when trailing 7-0.

--------------

Discuss...

I'm humbled. How dare you shoot my pie in the sky mentality down with facts and research

Somebody needs to ask this at the next coaches meeting

QUONER...might I remind you that Texas A&M was a BIG favorite over Ark. State...UNT? Not so much over K-State. That does make a bit of difference in how one views the outcome of the respective games. But, just in my opinion.

Greenminer. You calling Dodge out? Or else what (as they used to say on the playground)? :lol:

I see your point KRAM. We would have to expect to win before it becomes a letdown.

Not real sure why people are getting bent out of shape over this interview. What did you want to hear him say??

I, for one, am glad he used his head right out of the gate and didn't do the things that would have gotten us down by 50 at half like he did twice last year. This type of gameplan is fine when your special teams aren't complete and utter garbage. You play field position football and hope the other team makes a few mistakes (which we did force twice). There is absolutely no reason to question whether or not TD would have gone for a big play (last year provided more than enough evidence) if he thought it was there.