Riley In The Mix For Playing Time

emmitt01

According to the DMN college briefs "Riley Dodge will travel with the team to its opener at Kansas State and could be in the mix for playing time...coach Todd Dodge said"

If Vizza is the starter and Meager and Tune are battling for the backup (#2) spot as also mentioned, then it is implied Riley is #4 on the depth chart. In the mix as the #4 QB to me means he knows the hand signals and is along on road games to be signal decoy, clipboard carrier, and getting a taste of the college game atmosphere. I don't expect him to stay #4 very long, in fact I expect to see Riley in for mopup duties sometime before mid-season.

If Vizza is the starter and Meager and Tune are battling for the backup (#2) spot as also mentioned, then it is implied Riley is #4 on the depth chart. In the mix as the #4 QB to me means he knows the hand signals and is along on road games to be signal decoy, clipboard carrier, and getting a taste of the college game atmosphere. I don't expect him to stay #4 very long, in fact I expect to see Riley in for mopup duties sometime before mid-season.

Perhaps it's not as QB?

Why burn a redshirt for mopup duty? If he plays this year, it is a waste of eligibility just like a few freshmen last year.

Why burn a redshirt for mopup duty? If he plays this year, it is a waste of eligibility just like a few freshmen last year.

I posted the following a couple months back.

I generally agree with you. It seems that the best plan for the future is to start Vizza in '08 and redshirt Riley to prolong the time we will have one of these two outstanding quarterbacks behind center.

But what if Riley catches up with and surpasses Gio? Don't you start your best QB now? And another thing to consider--Todd Dodge has been called the best quarterback coach in the state by none other than Mack Brown. Top-notch QBs will want to play for him, but not while Riley still has 4 years of eligibility. Riley's burning a redshirt this year may not be the worst thing--it may make it more attractive to recruiting top-notch QBs to the program who will backup and eventually succeed Riley.

From all the reports out of practice though, Riley isn't even close to Vizza at this point

My money is still on Riley travelling with the team, along with a few other freshmen, and redshirting this year.

I agree on all points.

Just pointing out that if Riley were to surpass Gio, burning his redshirt wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Guest GrayEagleOne

My guess is that Riley's duties will be that of "signalman" from the sidelines. It will help him learn the speed of the game without actually losing any eligibility. Todd's statement might help to justify his position on the travel team and he could step in if the need should arise. Hopefully, that will never happen.

some have suggested he would save the redshirt year in case a transfer or sitout year was needed later. just another theory. do you think if td ever left that riley would stay at unt

Edited by LoveMG

some have suggested he would save the redshirt year in case a transfer or sitout year was needed. just another theory. do you think if td left later that riley would stay at unt

In response to your question, no, I believe Riley would follow his father. But I don't think for one minute that Todd and Riley are sitting around making their plans for when another bigger team comes calling. They are both competitors, and they want to win as much as they can at North Texas, however long they are here.

QUOTE(LoveMG @ Aug 21 2008, 05:34 PM)

some have suggested he would save the redshirt year in case a transfer or sitout year was needed. just another theory. do you think if td left later that riley would stay at unt

In response to your question, no, I believe Riley would follow his father. But I don't think for one minute that Todd and Riley are sitting around making their plans for when another bigger team comes calling. They are both competitors, and they want to win as much as they can at North Texas, however long they are here.

I agree, and I don't say it's just for sentimental reasons (although TD mentioned how much he enjoyed Denton when he was hired). The only way for Todd Dodge to be hired as head coach by a big name program is to have a run of successful seasons at North Texas. The theory that is trotted out once a year saying that Dodge will become offensive coordinator at OU is just that-a theory.

Well I am in the minority in my view on this, but I still think Riley will NOT redshirt this year. He may not play QB, but he will play somewhere.

Why would you want to risk injury playing him somewhere else? He won't be running any route up the middle.

If you redshirt Riley, you've looking at six years of solid quarterback play - four (including last year) from Vizza, then junior and senior years from Riley. Maybe Riley challenges for the job as a sophomore, but you're still getting six years of QB play. That's the way top programs like to develop their quarterbacks, building a steady flow of QBs who get in the system, redshirt, learn the college game, get a little playing time as freshman and sophomores, and then take over in their junior-senior years. Then you line up another recruit to take the next position in the rotation, and you've got consistent, seasoned play at QB.

Unless UNT can recruit a Vince Young-type, here's hoping we do not see a freshman starting at QB at North Texas again for a long time.

Well I am in the minority in my view on this, but I still think Riley will NOT redshirt this year. He may not play QB, but he will play somewhere.

What position do you think he will play? NT is loaded at WR and DB. Plus, I just don't see them risking injury to run a few plays at another position.

I wouldn't. I WOULD redshirt the guy, I just don't think they will.

This is where we find out whether Dodge is a team coach or his son's coach. Riley needs to put on some muscle before he does anything against the likes of K-State, LSU, etc. He's not big enough to begin with. If his dad sticks him in there to get beat up anyway...well...I don't know. It will just confirm that Todd Dodge isn't as bright as everyone thought coming in.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

This is where we find out whether Dodge is a team coach or his son's coach. Riley needs to put on some muscle before he does anything against the likes of K-State, LSU, etc. He's not big enough to begin with. If his dad sticks him in there to get beat up anyway...well...I don't know. It will just confirm that Todd Dodge isn't as bright as everyone thought coming in.

Maybe he is just a Dad who would like to see his son graduate in 4 years and go on with his life, and not just keep him around for our entertainment.