Riley In The Mix For Playing Time

emmitt01

Maybe he is just a Dad who would like to see his son graduate in 4 years and go on with his life, and not just keep him around for our entertainment.

Not at the expense of the football team he is hired to run. And if Riley wants to graduate in four years and get on with his life, he can do that AND be redshirted. If he wants to graduate in four years, he can leave after his junior year of eligibility. There would be plenty of yelling and screaming from fans, but that option is available.

I have a very hard time believing that it is in the best interest of this program for Riley Dodge to do anything but redshirt this year, especially when you have an excellent sophomore starting quarterback who took his lumps and made progress as a true freshman to prepare to lead this team. Where else are you going to play Riley? WR or DB? When you have a deep and talented group of wide receivers and a solid group of newly-recruited defensive backs?

Why would you risk your quarterback of the future like that? Redshirt him and let him grow, develop, and learn.

Edited by Smitty

I think people are reading too much into the reports that Riley's "on the bus" for the road games. It just means he'll redshirt, but you have to admit, the kid is probably more familar with his Dad's offense than anyone. So therefore, it only makes sense to bring him along just in case of a disaster (God forbid) Plus, I think Todge really wants Rodge to get as much as experience as possible, even if that means just observing.

Any chance Rodge would be incorporated as a Holder next year? Did he do that at SLC?

Edited by trud1966

I think people are reading too much into the reports that Riley's "on the bus" for the road games. It just means he'll redshirt, but you have to admit, the kid is probably more familar with his Dad's offense than anyone. So therefore, it only makes sense to bring him along just in case of a disaster (God forbid) Plus, I think Todge really wants Rodge to get as much as experience as possible, even if that means just observing.

Any chance Rodge would be incorporated as a Holder next year? Did he do that at SLC?

Makes sense. Travel, hold the clip board, watch, learn. And makes sense for him to hold on kicks next year. That is usually the job of a backup QB.

But redshirt him this year.

Makes sense. Travel, hold the clip board, watch, learn. And makes sense for him to hold on kicks next year. That is usually the job of a backup QB.

But redshirt him this year.

I assume QB Phillips will go along as the kick holder. Riley would make the 5th QB on the travel team. It does take up a travel spot. Do we really need a 4th or 5th string QB vs another lineman or backup kicker going along? I think only 65 players can make the travel squad. Just pondering, if the real intent is to simply redshirt. If redshirting is still in doubt, then the trip will be a good experience for him. Can non-travel team players pay their own way up and still be on the sidelines?

Edited by NT80