D-rc Article On Stadium (sunday Paper)

SUMG

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the words of those famous philosophers, Sonny and Cher..."And the beat goes on"....

The stadium will get built and you will live to see it. Lots of good folks arte workingh hard to make sure that happens. Some of those good folks (and you know who you are) are posting on this board and have been keeping everyone up to date and informed. Just read what they are saying and "BELIEVE". I say "thanks" for the help and support, and to everyone else...keep the faith and try a little positive attitude once and awhile. It doesn't hurt. Try it, you might even like it!

GO MEAN GREEN!

So a student vote is really needed.

Yes, we will need a vote to increase the fee. To clarify, I think there will be a vote to increase the SSF, then there will be an attempt to move it all over to a dedicated athletics fee, which will not require an additional vote. Once the fee is moved over, the BOR will have the power to increase the fee if the increase is less than 10%. That's my theory anyways.

Yes, we will need a vote to increase the fee. To clarify, I think there will be a vote to increase the SSF, then there will be an attempt to move it all over to a dedicated athletics fee, which will not require an additional vote. Once the fee is moved over, the BOR will have the power to increase the fee if the increase is less than 10%. That's my theory anyways.

Why didn't we just move it over to make a dedicated athletics fee five years ago and have the BOR raise it 10% every year since then? Or why not just do that now and skip the vote? Is it not enough at the current amount plus 10%? And can the Texas Legislature be kept out of this issue all together?

Edited by NT80

Why didn't we just move it over to make a dedicated athletics fee five years ago and have the BOR raise it 10% every year since then? Or why not just do that now and skip the vote? Is it not enough at the current amount plus 10%? And can the Texas Legislature be kept out of this issue all together?

Well there's still some questions about this, whether another vote will be needed. I don't think it does need another vote, as state law requires either a student referendum or student government approval.

As to whether the Legislature can be kept out of it, the answer is no. It MUST be approved by the legislature.

"No institution of higher education may collect from students attending the institution any tuition, fee, or charge of any kind except as permitted by law."

Every fee charged must be enumerated in the Education Code for UNT. As this will be a new fee, there must be a bill amending the code. For example, the state code for the rec center fee reads: "Student Recreational Facility Fee. If approved by a student vote in accordance with the requirements of Texas Education Code § 54.5091(a), the Board may charge each student enrolled at UNT a student recreational facility fee as permitted by Texas Education Code § 54.5091"

As to whether the Legislature can be kept out of it, the answer is no. It MUST be approved by the legislature.

"No institution of higher education may collect from students attending the institution any tuition, fee, or charge of any kind except as permitted by law."

With the exception of Univ of Texas and TX A $ M. of course. <_<

Sadly, our entire UNT athletic program could all but be stopped in its tracks if we don't build this new stadium soon enough and if we don't build the right size stadium as well. If we build for a long future in the Sun Belt Conference--we're going to be so screwed with all this and most of you fellow Texas collegiate football traditionalists would know that, too.

Building a stadium too small in Denton for a school our size and one projected to continue its boom growth would almost be worse than not building a new stadium at all, IMHO.

My question to Prez'/Dr. B is this:

If this present group cannot raise the monies to build a true NCAA D1-A football stadium for the futute 2'nd Largest University in the Lone Star State..................then are we saying it cannot be done at all? I hope that is not the school of thought up there on fund-raising because that would be yet another mistake.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It does not do any good to have a design for a stadium if you do not have the money to build it. I can buy books full of plans for a new house but until I can find a way to finance the thing, it is just wishful thinking. Let me know when the financing is set. Until then I will just go back to watching my collection of Jenna Jameson videos.