Email From Rick

UNTflyer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just FYI...for years my wife and I have been designating part of our President's Council membership "dues"...donations...to the Mean Green Club/Athletics. I am now being told that starting this year...I guess with renewals and new memberships as they develop...you will no longer be able to do this. Interesting, and on top of that, the minimum donation level is going from $1000/annually to $2500/annually. Again interesting. This in addition to there now being a charge for President's Council events that, in the past, were included in your donation level.

So, if you are a President's Council membner and have not heard this you might want to check it out. My wife and I do not want to have to give our entire donation through the President's Council to the Prez to place where she wants it. We would like to have the ability to direct our UNT donations to the areas we wish to sponsor...the academic areas and athletics, etc. So, we will have to make some decisions regarding President's Council when our renewal date arrives. It's a good program and we have enjoyed our membership, so am not telling anyone to change, just wanted to make some folks aware that "change" is brewing. I am, as we speak, trying to contact folks who can "confirm or deny" the rumored changes. If you know the real "scoop" send me a PM or just let everyone know here on the board.

Our level of donations to UNT WILL NOT drop (probably will increase) in spite of the President's Council membership change (if they occur). We'll just give to the individual areas on our own. Too many good things happening at UNT to let something like this stand in the way of support.

GO MEAN GREEN!

i know this is off topic- but is the format off on the forum? i cant view all the messages consecutively..instead i have to go click on each individual response? im wondering if theres something i can click on to make it go back to normal??

Happened to me yesterday.

I signed out, deleted my GMG.com cookie and then relogged in and it went back to default. I'm sure there is an easier way, but confusingly enough, I'm too lazy to find it.

i know this is off topic- but is the format off on the forum? i cant view all the messages consecutively..instead i have to go click on each individual response? im wondering if theres something i can click on to make it go back to normal??

Look at OPTIONS in the upper right of the forum page. Click "Standard".

BTW, I shot off an email this morning. Won't say to whom it was addressed, but basically the response is that there are no plans to hold regular MGC meetings.

Then why does this club exist?

Then why does this club exist?

To make money for the athletic department which it does.

I know you are not fond of RV, and I fully understand the frustration over the lack of quarterly meetings that many were led to believe would occur when he came on board, but I'm would be curious to know if other university's host quarterly meetings for their fundraising group, club, etc...?

To make money for the athletic department which it does.

I know you are not fond of RV, and I fully understand the frustration over the lack of quarterly meetings that many were led to believe would occur when he came on board, but I'm would be curious to know if other university's host quarterly meetings for their fundraising group, club, etc...?

Lamar University has the Cardinal Club that meets monthly, I think. Interesting that the Cardinal Club has a board of directors comprised of members.

Lamar's Cardinal Club

Imagine that, a link off the athletic website, a list of their members, a board made up of members and a mission to work closely with the Lamar Athletic Department to assist in fundraising and meeting the needs of the department. Nothing to learn from this group. :blink:

typical. ask fans to join a club. a club with no meetings or purpose other than to gain money from members.

It's stated up front that the purpose of the Mean Green Club is to generate scholarship dollars for all NT athletes. People are too hung up on the word "Club" Ever been to a meeting at Sam's Club? Book of the Month Club? Club's needn't have meetings to be a club. A club can simply be an organization that offers certain benefits to it's members. MGC does that.

Now, if you want to be a part of a group that supports NT athletics AND has quarterly meetings you should join the Mean Green Treehouse Club - You can find more info about them on the VVIP board.

Words can't describe how disappointed I am at the realization that the MGC doesn't have regular meetings or initiation rituals or a secret clubhouse in an oak tree. I was really hoping to run for president or at least chairman of the social committee. Turns out it's a fundraising operation!

I guess I should have known better. When I joined Sam's Club, I thought I was going to get invitations to get-togethers and picnics and a lapel pin with their logo. Instead, all I got was a card letting me into a big-box warehouse store. If only I had read the fine print.

On the other hand, I'm now able to buy 50 pounds of corn flakes at a time.

The Mean Green Club has meetings at every football game and basketball game in the hospitality room/deck. How is RV not readily available to the fans? You can call him or e-mail him anytime you want and he will respond. RV has stated about 500 times now that his biggest mistake was announcing quarterly meetings when he first got here because it is still hung over his head. When he got here - he polled fans for the problems and we said - better communication - so he announced the meetings... He can't do them anymore - there is some information that some of our d!psh!t fans don't need to have because they will screw up the plans by blabbing about it like little old ladies.

There have not been quarterly meetings since the first year. They have been disbanded. They are not a promise that is still standing and just ignored - they are a failed iniative that some bitter fans use to try and belittle RV. RV is not perfect but I would like to know exactly who would be better for what we pay? Was the Dodge hire bad? Probably - but the fans demanded that hire. Some of the people on this board that I see being so emotional and angry about Dodge - are the exact people that were passionate about him getting hired in the first place. I don't know why they are so let down by RV - they should be let down with their own choices. I talked to these guys on the phone and they were PUMPED when Dodge was announced 3 years ago...

RV is easily swayed by public opinion. Public Opinion probably got Dickey fired... public opinion probably got Dodge hired (and might get him fired eventually). Now if we could just get public opinion to get mandy fired... eh, she must have something on him... I have yet to meet any fan that thinks she is good for the program ..... but somehow - she still holds her position and was even PROMOTED!

True story - two seasons ago, I was on the deck and with my girlfriend. Mandy was also on the deck - drunk as usual while on the clock during the game. Anyway - there was a Mean Green flag (the Texas Green flag type) that was laid across one of the tables and I didn't know who's flag it was. We were getting ready to leave and most people had left... our immediate area and all the table in my area were gone. My girlfriend asked me if I thought we should turn the flag in (like you would turn in a camera left on a table, or a set of keys, or ANY personal property left behind).. So I grabbed the flag and rolled it up and was walking towards the front entry when Mandy started SCREAMING at me to stop stealing athletic property. I was like, "What the f&*%???" She was really drunk, it was a bad loss and she had been really pouring them in to null the pain. I tried to explain to her that I was turning it in and with slurred words, she kept saying "Sure you were, I know your type, I know your type" - at least that is what I think she was saying, half of the words were difficult to comprehend.

I called RV and explained the whole story to him. He was great, returned my call right away - called me on Sunday at night... when he could have been with his family - but he was talking to an upset fan. He told me that Mandy would be calling me to apologize and of course that never happened. To this day - I refuse to renew my membership. I just will not renew until she is gone. And I know that I am not alone. I have met a legion of others that have been insulted by her. I had the uncomfortable situation of having to sit close to her at the ULM game this last year - she seemed so alone. The vote had just come down about the stadium initiative and our Mean Green fans in Monroe were high fiving each other in the stands; but nobody wanted to high five Mandy. Shouldn't your fund raising person at least have a rapport with the fans that will drive to the away games??

Ok, off of soap box. It is this story that shows WHY I think RV is so great for NT and yet how flawed he can be. He is very loyal - in this case, loyal to Mandy and also loyal to me as a fan. I will support my Mean Green - but it is just season tickets for now. Sad, because if they would just let her go, I would be happy to renew my membership.

Blown away by that. I've only had a few interactions with Mandy. Not all pleasant

She definitely likes the sauce.

I think though for this fan base we need to cultivate the relationship with John Burkett rather than RV and Mandy.

He seems to be responsive and engaged. Maybe we forge the outline of what the MGC could and should be with him

I'd be willing to set up a meet and greet at the Pourhouse or somewhere if enough people would come and make everyones time worthwhile