Student Fee Is Crucial For Survival

I can only hope that the athletic office and this administration have been diligently working on a plan to administer a student fee to help support and grow UNT athletics. It is simply a matter of survival and must be applied in conjunction with or without any future corporate sponsorship.

If for some reason, legit or not, this administration feels it must give the current students the opportunity to vote on whether to accept or reject such fee, then it is even more important that a carefully planned and thought out campaign be put in place. Hopefully we already have this plan.

The "Central Theme" of the plan should not make it's focus on a new stadium or athletics but on the "Value" it offers each and every student who walks off our campus carrying a degree in hand. It's all about value.

We should not focused the campaign on changing the minds of those we know who already oppose any such fee, but on the other 25,000 who really haven't given it much thought because no one has yet explained to them in a simple intelligent way how they will benefit from a strong athletic program.

The word "fee" is never used but replaced with the word "investment".

We never talk of a student athletic fee in it's totality but only what it's daily investment would be when figured over the course of a semester. For instance, a $50 investment is broken down to .36 CENTS per day. You must show the value of what .36 cents per day will give each student. The campaign might show two homes, one worth $75,000(Fouts) and the other $450,000(new stadium) followed by a simple question..."Would would buy the $450,000 home if it cost you .36 cents more per day"?

It really all boils down to a quality Marketing Plan. And time is of the essence!

This gives me tired head. I'll sum it up in 4 points:

1. Yes, we need a student athletic fee.

2. Texas law prohibits a student athletic fee at UNT.

3. We can change the law, but it would first require a student vote.

4. A vote would likely pass if it is done the right way.

*EDIT*

We will probably have a "stadium fee" before we have an "athletics fee"

Edited by UNTflyer

My post concerning a Student Fee "investment fee" was much more than just a confirmation that one is needed. I read the board.

My thoughts were made in response to someone's belief that any student fee would not be pursued until all other means or sources were exhausted. (Maybe blog from Star Telegram). I guess I should have explained that in my post but it's omission doesn't distract from the fact we need it now regardless of what other avenues we are going down and unless there is a sincere, concerted effort right now today by our administrators in formulating a plan that utilizes the best strategies and tactics that only thoughtful planning can assure any attempt to pass a student fee will be solidly voted down by the students. Without a Student Investment Fee right now, UNT athletics at the D1A level will not make it through the next ten years regardless of any corporate sponsorship! Period!

Unlike other post concerning a student investment fee, I gave a solid example of a strategy and tactic that might be used in educating students on the importance of investing in a opportunity that will add "value" to their degree. The best selling tools are always visuals. I did not however, explain where and how that value is derived. That's easy enough.

Lastly, I certainly don't intend to damaged anyones little ego or question their rank on the posting totum pole, but my post was aimed directly at Athletic Department personel and intelligent individuals like myself who frequent this board and not average minded individuals.

Now, for (6) 50 yardline seats in the new stadium with VIP parking and (6) floor seats for basketball also with VIP parking (mens & womens) guaranteed for 100 years, assignable, plus a $15,000 fee and all expenses paid I will formulate a plan and develope a campaign that will insure the students passing a $75 per semester investment fee and they will do it with joy and enthusiasm. :D

Edited by meangreenbob

Lastly, I certainly don't intend to damaged anyones little ego or question their rank on the posting totum pole, but my post was aimed directly at Athletic Department personel and other intelligent individuals who frequent this board and not average minded individuals some of which post on this board.

So many funny assumptions in only half a sentence!

So you wrote that long post just for Tasty and I? (Quoner isn't smart enough to pick his sexuality correctly, so he doesn't qualify)

Hey - I'm only three weeks from officially picking a team for good - even if that magical Packer stole my heart long ago.

Great post MGB. Can you only imagine what $17 Million annually, raised in CASH, even before a single season ticket is sold each season could do for our program? Everytime a competing school tries to come in and hire a "Gary DeLoach" out from under us, we would instantly have the ability to have a fighting chance to keep him? What if........he had been here all these years since '03, building upon that 9th nationally ranked defense? That defense that ranked 3rd in the nation against the run?

People don't seem to understand the incredible, powerful advantage this school has..........it's numbers in attendance. North Texas isn't just a big school. It's a massive school, one of the largest in the country. Yet for the past 62 years our big two programs has ONE post-season-tourney win. That being the upest over Cincy in the '02 N.O. Bowl. Now, according to the Dallas Morning News, we are on par with the Prairie View A&M's and for the '07-'08 season was the lowest ranked athletic program in the state earning zero points in the Directors Cup? That just doesn't make since for a school of ths magnitude, which has played football for going on 95 years now, mostly as a major college or Div I program, to be viewed by the outside world in this way. It's tragic in my oppinion to think that this school's leadership seems satisfied to allow that kind of reputation to continue. Completely TRAGIC!!!

I agree with ADLER that it wasn't the AD's fault that so few showed up for the last function. They didn't show up due to a lack of proper promotion. The reason that they didn't show up was simple due to a LACK OF INTEREST IN NORTH TEXAS!!!!......PERIOD!!!!! That doesn't fall at the AD's feet. It falls at the university leadership's feet, including the BOR.

FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I agree. FIX THE PROBLEM!

Anyone who opposes a student investment fee or hinders it's immediate implementation in any way does NOT have the best interest of The University of North Texas in mind. That includes the Chancellor, the President, the members of the Board of Directors and those in the Athletic Department. Anyone who ignors the dire need for this investment and it's immediate implementation may get their pay check from UNT but they do not work for The University of North Texas and their loyalty and discernment must be challenged! Enough! FIX THE PROBLEM!

You are either for us or you are against us! Ignoring the "investment fee" makes you against us.

Enough is enough!

Again, FIX THE PROBLEM!

Edited by meangreenbob

Do not forget that an increase in our budget would put us far ahead when it comes time for a conference jump.

In talking with an administrator recently (cannot say who) it was communicated to me how incredibly vital it is that NT adopt some sort of fee coming directly from the students if we want our athletic program to be around in 3 years....that is 3 years.

He/She said that TxSt just approved a student fee that will go towards helping them become D-I in the next few years. He/She said it gives them an extra I believe $6.9M. He/She said that if we cannot get something in place that TxSt as well as many many other schools will surpass us in terms of athletics and at that time it should be evaluated as to whether or not we should want to continue on with it since it will be in such bad shape.

It was a real wake up call talking to this person about the reality of the apathy in our students and select administration. He/She stressed that something must be done quickly as it is being done at other schools.

I might not have won the Student Body President Election but my VP running mate is now the Student Regent. I agree that we need to get the students invested in the future of NT Athletics. I can start working with a group of students I know are in favor of a student fee and I'll see what we can come up with in regards to realistic chances for getting students on board with this in a short time. I know the athletics department doesn't want to touch the issue right now, but I little student probing and prodding wouldn't hurt any.

Um, lets see where those people avoiding Fixing The Problem has gotten North Texas.

North Texas fields teams to exist in division 1 sports, not to be competitive. One post-season victory in the past 62 years is clear evidence of that. The hapless North Texas athletic programs are used as cannon fodder by our in-state competition. North Texas has always been religated to a lower tier conference than all the other Texas colleges.

It is insane that leadership at one of the largest colleges in the nation have been allowed to let this happen. Yes, making a change is going to ruffle some feathers and many of the people listed cringe when the issue is raised. Maybe, just maybe, they are content where they are, that they are being paid to exist not to to perform, and their own self interest far outweighs what is most beneficial to the university.

When they are content while the most visible aspect of the university has never been competitive during their lifetime, then yes, I do see that as compelling evidence that they don't have the best interest of The University of North Texas in mind.

It simply does not affect them in their little ivory tower of acadamia.

Sigh :(:surrender:

Edited by MeanGreen61

As far as I know, the vote should occur during the Fall SGA elections.

Unless you have a well planned, thought out campaign with a solid strategy the proper tactics and adequate time to run the campaign it will not pass the student vote. This should not be taken lightly. The future of UNT athletics is at stake here. Seek help from professionals who have a vested interest in our program and better yet those who have green blood.

Edited by meangreenbob

Unless you have a well planned, thought out campaign with a solid strategy the proper tactics and adequate time to run the campaign it will not pass the student vote. This should not be taken lightly. The future of UNT athletics is at stake here. Seek help from professionals who have a vested interest in our program and better yet those who have green blood.

There is already a plan in place for this. There is also a backup plan should a student body vote fail to pass.

So this is going to be brought to a vote in the Fall?? Get ya popcorn ready. :lol:

Haha, I don't think there is a snowballs chance in Hades of this getting together and the support structure in place for a vote this fall. When I said I would be working on it, I meant I would begin the work on it and MAYBE we could have something real in place for a vote in a year or so. This is just too complex a matter to slap something together for this fall.

Do not forget that an increase in our budget would put us far ahead when it comes time for a conference jump.

In talking with an administrator recently (cannot say who) it was communicated to me how incredibly vital it is that NT adopt some sort of fee coming directly from the students if we want our athletic program to be around in 3 years....that is 3 years.

He/She said that TxSt just approved a student fee that will go towards helping them become D-I in the next few years. He/She said it gives them an extra I believe $6.9M. He/She said that if we cannot get something in place that TxSt as well as many many other schools will surpass us in terms of athletics and at that time it should be evaluated as to whether or not we should want to continue on with it since it will be in such bad shape.

It was a real wake up call talking to this person about the reality of the apathy in our students and select administration. He/She stressed that something must be done quickly as it is being done at other schools.

If a university decided to field a D-I team in football, but never put many resources toward it that could have made the program grow big-time, would that university be able to get rid of that program eventually (say in 3 years) and say that the program was never going to do anything for the university, since the priorities of the unviersity are music, education, and art? Another question would be along the same lines. If the students were to turn down another fee increase, would that give the university's "leaders" the ammunition to do another student referendum to abolish the program like was done back in the early 70s, which thankfully failed?

If a university decided to field a D-I team in football, but never put many resources toward it that could have made the program grow big-time, would that university be able to get rid of that program eventually (say in 3 years) and say that the program was never going to do anything for the university, since the priorities of the unviersity are music, education, and art? Another question would be along the same lines. If the students were to turn down another fee increase, would that give the university's "leaders" the ammunition to do another student referendum to abolish the program like was done back in the early 70s, which thankfully failed?

I think that is a distinct possiblity. They may not want to actually abolish the football program but only reduce it's profile and cost by dropping it to a lower division or status.

I think we have people on the UNT payroll right now who will smile, look you in the eye, say they are all for supporting the program, even wear green and white but if you look behind them you will see the "deep" ruts caused by those people dragging their feet.

I think we need to watch very closely.

Edited by meangreenbob