For 6th Home Games - Schedule A 1aa Team ?

Did a quick check of WAC, MAC, CUSA, MWC, Sun Belt, and Independant teams to see how many played 6 or more home games in '07. Of the 26 teams that had 6 or more home games, 18 hosted 1AA opponents. Is a 1AA home opponent a realistic necessity to assure 6 home games ?

MOUNTAIN WEST (home games - # 1AA)

Air Force 7-1

BYU 6-1

Colorado State 6-1

UNLV 6-0

New Mexico 6-1

TCU 6-0

CUSA (home games - #1AA)

UCF 6-0

ECU 6-0

Marxhall 6-1

Memphis 7-1

Rice 6-1

UTEP 6-1

Tulsa 6-0

MAC (home games - #1AA)

Akron 6-0

N. Illinois 6-1

Ohio 6-1

Temple 6-1

W. Michigan 6-1

WAC (home games - #1AA)

Boise State 7-1

Fresno 6-1

Idaho 6-1

Nevada 6-1

INDEPENDANTS (home games - #1AA)

Army 6-1 (Army/Navy game not included)

Navy 6-1 (Army/Navy game not included)

Notre Dame 7-0

SUN BELT

Arkansas State 6-0

Edited by MeanGreen61

Is a 1AA home opponent a realistic necessity to assure 6 home games ?

We have 6 home games for 2009:

Army

Rice

4 Sun Belt games.

But, I see what you are saying... unless you are one of the Big Six, it's tough to schedule 6 home games without dipping down into FCS.

Edited by UNTflyer

Did a quick check of WAC, MAC, CUSA, MWC, Sun Belt, and Independant teams to see how many played 6 or more home games in '07. Of the 26 teams that had 6 or more home games, 18 hosted 1AA opponents. Is a 1AA home opponent a realistic necessity to assure 6 home games ?

Last year we hosted a 1-AA = WKU = attendance = 5,000 = no. Why can't the WAC, MAC, CUSA, MWC, Sun Belt, and Independant teams play each other home and home more often and cut out the 1-AAs? :blink:

Last year we hosted a 1-AA = WKU = attendance = 5,000 = no. Why can't the WAC, MAC, CUSA, MWC, Sun Belt, and Independant teams play each other home and home more often and cut out the 1-AAs? :blink:

Yes I agree, but nov 24th should have been an away game. We should open with a 1-aa, build attendance and our record.

We should open with a 1-aa, build attendance and our record.

I would have no problem hosting a 1-AA as the opener as opposed to a road-kill game to open the season, but as a filler later in the season I'd rather not. Of course when you say you only want to play 1-A teams then you always get the added question: who would we draw better with hosting: SFA or Buffalo? Texas State or Eastern Michigan?

Each year we play at least one game against a team that will not return the game. The games against Texas, Oklahoma, and LSU are examples. If we are going to do that we should balance the schedule by playing a home game against a team where we do not have to return the game. A game against Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, or Texas State - San Marcos would be examples. On another topic recently ArkStFan gave an example of a good schedule. It included four home conference games, four road conference games, one "money" away game, one home game against a 1-AA and a home and home series with two schools that are similar to you. I thought it was a good blueprint for scheduling.

Each year we play at least one game against a team that will not return the game. The games against Texas, Oklahoma, and LSU are examples. If we are going to do that we should balance the schedule by playing a home game against a team where we do not have to return the game. A game against Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, or Texas State - San Marcos would be examples. On another topic recently ArkStFan gave an example of a good schedule. It included four home conference games, four road conference games, one "money" away game, one home game against a 1-AA and a home and home series with two schools that are similar to you. I thought it was a good blueprint for scheduling.

I agree. Also, having the two "similar" games could almost be thought of as home games. Games like tcu and smu seem to generate a lot of interest and folks showing up.

You don't think the weather had something to do with that?

Yes, the weather was very nasty for the WKU game-rain, cold, windy.

I would want a 6th home game, even if it means playing a 1-AA team.

Home games are for the fans as well as the team, so I say schedule

as many home games as possible!

We are getting a 6th home game, and we didn't need to go to FCS to get it.

It may not technically be a necessity, but everyone is doing it. Texas played Sam Houston State two years ago. Oklahoma opens this season hosting...drum roll please...Tennessee-Chattanooga (T.O.'s alma mater).

Everyone is doing it, we should do it for a win and another weekend of gate receipts.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

YES...to "certain" FCS's early in the season. TSU, SFA, SHSU only.

I agree to a "yes" with a careful team by team evaluation when it comes to hosting a 1-AA teams. If it makes sense for attendance (TSU, SFA, and SHSU would be good considerations) I'm for it. TSU would be a great choice. By the time we could sign them I doubt very seriously there would be a prayer they could beat us. (Of course there is App. State).

It may not technically be a necessity, but everyone is doing it. Texas played Sam Houston State two years ago. Oklahoma opens this season hosting...drum roll please...Tennessee-Chattanooga (T.O.'s alma mater).

Everyone is doing it, we should do it for a win and another weekend of gate receipts.

yes,yes, and yes.

I agree to a "yes" with a careful team by team evaluation when it comes to hosting a 1-AA teams. If it makes sense for attendance (TSU, SFA, and SHSU would be good considerations) I'm for it. TSU would be a great choice. By the time we could sign them I doubt very seriously there would be a prayer they could beat us. (Of course there is App. State).

Not even a prayer huh? :D

No joke.. we went 2-10 last year! I don't have confidence against anyone right now..

Nope, not a prayer! By the time we can schedule them it will be 2010. And at the rate we are recruiting, that should be a prime year for the Mean Green. Do you really, I mean REALLY have no confidence against anyone right now, or are you just pulling my chain?? That takes me back a lot! Granted, we are making more progress with offensive depth but the defense will be/is already much better with DeLoach. I prefer to continue drinking green coolaid for a while, like the rest of my life!!

Nope, not a prayer! By the time we can schedule them it will be 2010. And at the rate we are recruiting, that should be a prime year for the Mean Green. Do you really, I mean REALLY have no confidence against anyone right now, or are you just pulling my chain?? That takes me back a lot! Granted, we are making more progress with offensive depth but the defense will be/is already much better with DeLoach. I prefer to continue drinking green coolaid for a while, like the rest of my life!!

I think losing to FIU has put a lot of temporary scars on so many fans.

If we dip into the FCS inventory of teams there should be only one criteria...will any of these teams bring a crowd of their own fans? SFA has proven in the past that they have a base following their team. Anyone else in Texas at the FCS level would be a gamble. When we were 1-AA we took a lot of grief for scheduling Abilene Christian, but they did bring some folks to Fouts. There was really little difference in Oklahoma scheduling us and us scheduling ASU. Each athletic director knew that the 'smaller' team would bring fans to the game and the chances were good for beating the lower division team.

If we dip into the FCS inventory of teams there should be only one criteria...will any of these teams bring a crowd of their own fans? SFA has proven in the past that they have a base following their team. Anyone else in Texas at the FCS level would be a gamble. When we were 1-AA we took a lot of grief for scheduling Abilene Christian, but they did bring some folks to Fouts. There was really little difference in Oklahoma scheduling us and us scheduling ASU. Each athletic director knew that the 'smaller' team would bring fans to the game and the chances were good for beating the lower division team.

We should not even be thinking about scheduling a FCS team. There are way too many people out their who still think we are a FCS team. If we start playing those kinks of games, what's to stop the NCAA from saying, "Hey maybe we need to move ya'll back there?"

I think it's a bad, bad, bad idea.

We should not even be thinking about scheduling a FCS team. There are way too many people out their who still think we are a FCS team. If we start playing those kinks of games, what's to stop the NCAA from saying, "Hey maybe we need to move ya'll back there?"

I think it's a bad, bad, bad idea.

I agree with you. No FCS teams. There are plenty of FBS "mid-majors" that we can schedule that will travel. We just have to keep trying to schedule them. Rice, Tulane(not sure if they would travel well), Tulsa, UTEP, Houston, La Tech, to name a few.

Are we goinging to play a 5 home and 5 away with SMU 2010-2020?

I just looked at future schedules and I didn't see UNT listed anywhere. Baylor is actively seeking ooc games 2010-2015. TCU also has openings. Right now it is a given SMU has openings but are we working on making this happen, who knows.