The Drive: Texas State's Campaign To 1-a

Every school has this. Trust me. I went to UT-Austin CS... it was no different. Except, instead of having a professor teaching you, you had a grad student that didn't *really* know their stuff.. They were teaching to get their UT stipend.

Shhh - don't tell him that this happens at A&M too. Also, keep the whole research and publishing is more important to most professors. That can never, ever get out.

All the CS sobs stories.. I think I heard some morose goth muzak in the background.

When I was in school, only suckas used the school's computers. They only went there to print. Everything was turned in electronically.

Also, I Dr. Tate is such a pimp that I would wait a semester to get enrolled in his course.

I don't know.. but those 800 undergrads that you speak of.. 200 of them (yes, I am man enough to admit I made that stat up) are taking 1110 and 1120 beginner courses for COBA or whatever other courses they require.. 200 more of those students are taking the 1050 CS basics course (made that course number up too). 200 1/2 more are taking 2010 and will soon drop CSCI ambitions (like yourself) and blame it upon other stuff. The remaining numbers will fit into the 3100, 3400, 4010, etc etc, that is required to graduate.

Every school has this. Trust me. I went to UT-Austin CS... it was no different. Except, instead of having a professor teaching you, you had a grad student that didn't *really* know their stuff.. They were teaching to get their UT stipend.

again there are more than CS stories....Ut is one of the top CS departments in the world....UNT is not

no department counts students enrolled in their classes they count students that are MAJORS in that department......you need a huge clue

Dr Tate is a fine professor.....I did not have nearly a year to wait to take any class....especially when UNT was asking me to take more garbage courses

as for the sob stories....I guess all those students in the CVET program were cry babies when that program was CUT because of lack of faculty when Dr. Shelton and 2 other professors left and the program could not continue

I guess Dr. Bruce Gnade, Dr. Kim and Dr. Wallace were cry babies when they shopped themselves as a group to UTA and UTD and eventually left as a group to go to UTD

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archiv...amp;p_topdoc=11

pay to read story #13 if you can't figure it out from the headline.......that is 3 of 10 faculty leaving at one time

and seeing that Dr. Gnade has risen rapidly at UTD I would say UNt suffered a large loss when he left as well as the others

I guess Dr. Michaelides is a cry baby too when UNT released this BIG ANNOUNCEMENT about the FIRST EVER ENERGY ENGINEERING PROGRAM

http://web3.unt.edu/news/story.cfm?story=9610

only to see him leave 9 months later to UTSA

http://engineering.utsa.edu/~mechanical/faculty.html

UNT has had to place the former chair of chemistry in his old position until they they placed the chair of ETECH in the dual roll of chair of ETECH and "mechanical and energy engineering"

I have never seen a person be a chair of two departments at the same time...even on an interim basis

http://www.mee.unt.edu/people/index.htm

http://www.etec.unt.edu/

UNT has still not replaced Dr. Michaelides and is a long ways from it

just like they got money from PACCAR 18 months ago and still have not found a way to spend it

http://web3.unt.edu/news/story.cfm?story=10142

http://www.eng.unt.edu/paccar-adtdfredline-ONG.htm

but hey don't you worry UNT has you covered on a BAAS degree :lol:

Guest 97and03

That is not happening. You are completely wrong here, the COBA building will be built where Kendall Hall is currently.

That is correct. Kendall and Highland Halls are being torn down to build the COBA building.

The UNT Law School would be located in Dallas, because that is where the demand is and the building is available to us there. As it being tied to UNT-Dallas, it would probably only administratively. The law school would not be called, UNT - Dallas School of Law or anything like that. In fact it is referred to and the UNT College of Law. Part of the UNT system. The system that has UNT as its flagship. But with separate campuses. Like a Medical School in Fort Worth.

And yes, UNT needs a Pharmacy School. The need and demand is there. And I would imagine that it would make sense to have it in Ft Worth with the Medical School. Why not? It doesn't matter which administrative unit is over it. Or where the buildings are located. It is all part of the UNT system and brings prestige to UNT.

PS. They are going to tear down the Radisson, not renovate it. It would cost aorund $8 million to renovate. Not worth it. The new structure is not totally decided, but will likely be a multi-use hotel building.

Guest JohnDenver

Oy.

Such bitterness. Your arguments are weak.

No one said UNT CSCI is on the level of UT-Austin.

I guess you can spin it that UNT had such good caliber of faculty that they were hired away by surrounding programs .. ;)

Just you don't have a sense of humor about anything. So I guess you can't handle that jest.

Mostly, your trolling is tiresome. I am not falling for it anymore.

HOOK EM HORNS! I am not following UNT anymore.

again there are more than CS stories....Ut is one of the top CS departments in the world....UNT is not

no department counts students enrolled in their classes they count students that are MAJORS in that department......you need a huge clue

Dr Tate is a fine professor.....I did not have nearly a year to wait to take any class....especially when UNT was asking me to take more garbage courses

as for the sob stories....I guess all those students in the CVET program were cry babies when that program was CUT because of lack of faculty when Dr. Shelton and 2 other professors left and the program could not continue

I guess Dr. Bruce Gnade, Dr. Kim and Dr. Wallace were cry babies when they shopped themselves as a group to UTA and UTD and eventually left as a group to go to UTD

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archiv...amp;p_topdoc=11

pay to read story #13 if you can't figure it out from the headline.......that is 3 of 10 faculty leaving at one time

and seeing that Dr. Gnade has risen rapidly at UTD I would say UNt suffered a large loss when he left as well as the others

I guess Dr. Michaelides is a cry baby too when UNT released this BIG ANNOUNCEMENT about the FIRST EVER ENERGY ENGINEERING PROGRAM

http://web3.unt.edu/news/story.cfm?story=9610

only to see him leave 9 months later to UTSA

http://engineering.utsa.edu/~mechanical/faculty.html

UNT has had to place the former chair of chemistry in his old position until they they placed the chair of ETECH in the dual roll of chair of ETECH and "mechanical and energy engineering"

I have never seen a person be a chair of two departments at the same time...even on an interim basis

http://www.mee.unt.edu/people/index.htm

http://www.etec.unt.edu/

UNT has still not replaced Dr. Michaelides and is a long ways from it

just like they got money from PACCAR 18 months ago and still have not found a way to spend it

http://web3.unt.edu/news/story.cfm?story=10142

http://www.eng.unt.edu/paccar-adtdfredline-ONG.htm

but hey don't you worry UNT has you covered on a BAAS degree :lol:

all those teachers left so they wouldn't have to listen to your bitching and whining. You single handedly ran them off.

And that's a fact!

Edited by GreenMachine

wow people brag about the "communications skills of UNT grads"

but you can't even beat back a message board "troll"

and many of those professors left long after I did....so I had nothing to do with it.....but a poor administration that does not keep promises they make to faculty in the engineering and hard sciences and spends their time on failed system centers and down town redevelopment does have a great deal to do with it

and I would hardly call losing faculty and them making critical comments about a schools commitments to the hard sciences a compliment to UNT

as for the business building.....can you provide a link with any progress on the fund raising or when it will actually have ground broken....or is asking for that "trolling" because just like everything at UNT I am suppose to wait until it comes no matter what the original plans were

I will say this...UNT should not lose good and great professors. To me that is unacceptable. If the goal for UNT is to become more research oriented then thats where these good professors are most valued. Its just pathetic for us to be losing top quality professors to any school out there.

Guest JohnDenver

wow people brag about the "communications skills of UNT grads"

but you can't even beat back a message board "troll"

and many of those professors left long after I did....so I had nothing to do with it.....but a poor administration that does not keep promises they make to faculty in the engineering and hard sciences and spends their time on failed system centers and down town redevelopment does have a great deal to do with it

and I would hardly call losing faculty and them making critical comments about a schools commitments to the hard sciences a compliment to UNT

as for the business building.....can you provide a link with any progress on the fund raising or when it will actually have ground broken....or is asking for that "trolling" because just like everything at UNT I am suppose to wait until it comes no matter what the original plans were

Ok, one more response.

I don't take it as a my personal responsibility to beat back an internet troll. As I have grown older (note, I am not old), certain discussions aren't worth having.

1) Abortion

2) Religion

3) Quality of non-quantifiable subjects (i.e. UT-D CS degree is "worth more" than UNTs).

4) Republican politics (Ah! I jest again. I am beginning to wonder if you can comprehend jokes).

Since I try not to take stuff personal on a BBS, I don't have to spend time defending my honor. I don't need to beat you back.

All we can do is share experiences, listen to them and go on with our day. Your degree (or lack there of) from UNT didn't do much for you. You had a bad experience -- others haven't. UNT wasn't your bag, so why do you need to come and shotgun all these HSOs?

Communication is tricky. Punctuation and spelling isn't needed; as proven in your posts. However, the use of emoticons is almost required in present conversation. If you rub *everyone* on this board the wrong way, you really think everyone else has the problem?

Losing staff to other schools happens. Me? I don't consider those three losses terrible. That is just my opinion. The movement of CS to the Engineering school is a good move. They have some good leadership now.. Seems like you got caught in a down cycle. However, you can't go on your way. You need to be bitter about it and come pick fights with people that don't really want to fight. You bait them into it. What the hell is this thread about anyway? You have turned it into a crap-storm of random thoughts about your experiences.

How do you feel about the Oreo cookie overtaking the biscuit industry in England? I find it appalling.

Ok, one more response.

I don't take it as a my personal responsibility to beat back an internet troll. As I have grown older (note, I am not old), certain discussions aren't worth having.

1) Abortion

2) Religion

3) Quality of non-quantifiable subjects (i.e. UT-D CS degree is "worth more" than UNTs).

4) Republican politics (Ah! I jest again. I am beginning to wonder if you can comprehend jokes).

Since I try not to take stuff personal on a BBS, I don't have to spend time defending my honor. I don't need to beat you back.

All we can do is share experiences, listen to them and go on with our day. Your degree (or lack there of) from UNT didn't do much for you. You had a bad experience -- others haven't. UNT wasn't your bag, so why do you need to come and shotgun all these HSOs?

Communication is tricky. Punctuation and spelling isn't needed; as proven in your posts. However, the use of emoticons is almost required in present conversation. If you rub *everyone* on this board the wrong way, you really think everyone else has the problem?

Losing staff to other schools happens. Me? I don't consider those three losses terrible. That is just my opinion. The movement of CS to the Engineering school is a good move. They have some good leadership now.. Seems like you got caught in a down cycle. However, you can't go on your way. You need to be bitter about it and come pick fights with people that don't really want to fight. You bait them into it. What the hell is this thread about anyway? You have turned it into a crap-storm of random thoughts about your experiences.

How do you feel about the Oreo cookie overtaking the biscuit industry in England? I find it appalling.

there was a great deal more faculty loss than just those 3 and the reasons behind why those three and all the others left is still the same

regardless of my experiences at UNT and even if I did not have ANY experience at UNT I am a citizen and a tax payer of Texas which is why all higher education in Texas is important to me.....I pay for a small part of it and I stand to benefit (or not benefit) from it....so that makes it my business

while you may consider that I am bitter I actually could be bitter about other experiences at other schools....but I am not.....because those schools did not show the repeated mistakes that UNT does

why would I not consider "fighting" anyone on this message board....because you can call names, make personal attacks, and talk of spelling and grammar so eloquently.....real tough crowd here at GMG :blink:

why would I "go on my way" when I see UNT stuck in the same poor pattern they were stuck in when I was a student there while other schools plan and perform better.....again my taxes go to Texas and Texas pays for a part of UNT and so did my tuition....so I have paid for and earned the right to voice my opinion on UNT and any other state school in Texas

but I guess all on this message board are content with not knowing any information about a new stadium, UNTs plans for the raddison, why UNT law (if they get it) will go to south dallas, why UNT continues to hire faculty and then lose them to other schools and why UNT has better laid plans for south dallas and downtown dallas and fund raisers in place for them while the "flagship" campus just has a lot of ????????????????????????????????????????????????????

again when is ground going to be broken on the COBA, how much of the needed funds have been raised, what is the schedule for the stadium, how much money has been raised, why can't UNT issue bonds for in now and build it, how much will the athletics fee be, when will it go to a vote, when is baseball scheduled to come to UNT........the list is endless of the questions ask on this forum

yet the only real answers I see are "just wait it will be great" or "we are almost there" or "very soon" and the only person I see anyone hold to any accountability is RV.....when I feel I have presented a decent argument that UNT has issues much higher up than RV and UNT has wasted a lot of time money and resources on projects that have greatly underperformed

if people on this forum enjoy 20 threads about where is the stadium that is great.....I offered an opinion on where it is at...it is lost somewhere between downtown and south dallas while jackson (not the bad ass with the gun the fool that can't raise funds on a give away game show) spends his time planning with royce the pig west how the stadium can fit into south dallas so that UNT Dallas can one day play UNT Denton in football like they talked about in a presser

just because I offer a different opinion of who to hold accountable and offer facts and information to back it up does not mean I am bitter.....it means I feel there are issues to be addressed well beyond RV

the arguments offered up contrary to mine are basically strawmen and personal insults and questions so I will continue to hold the opinion that I do and I will continue to voice it on this forum as I see fit or until someone (anyone) can offer anything to convince me otherwise and back it up with real information instead of "I heard" and "I was told"

the fact this annoys some of you is an issue for you to deal with not me

Edited by CheckFacts

...why UNT continues to hire faculty and then lose them to other schools and why UNT has better laid plans for south dallas and downtown dallas and fund raisers in place for them while the "flagship" campus just has a lot of ????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You can keep saying it, but that doesn't make it true.

In the past decade at UNT, there seems to have been a new project completed every semester. The rec center, the new dorms, the TI research center, the environmental sciences building, the health center, the astronomical observatory, the Armadillo, the athletics center, the tennis center, the library, the softball stadium... in the next few years we'll have more new dorms, a new COBA building, a new football stadium...

again when is ground going to be broken on the COBA

Next fall. Kendall hall is being demolished over the summer. And when it opens it will just be the College of Business.

You talk as if the university is pouring tons of money into south Dallas while ignoring the Denton campus. That's just not happening.

Edited by UNTflyer

You can keep saying it, but that doesn't make it true.

In the past decade at UNT, there seems to have been a new project completed every semester. The rec center, the new dorms, the TI research center, the environmental sciences building, the health center, the astronomical observatory, the Armadillo, the athletics center, the tennis center, the library, the softball stadium... in the next few years we'll have more new dorms, a new COBA building, a new football stadium...

Next fall. Kendall hall is being demolished over the summer. And when it opens it will just be the College of Business.

You talk as if the university is pouring tons of money into south Dallas while ignoring the Denton campus. That's just not happening.

I must say....I started UNT in 04 and graduated in 07 and from 04 to 07 I saw a ton of progress to UNT and I was seeing a lot new things coming there with a lot more talk of doing more stuff. I think UNT has finally started to get things right...I know they are not perfect and they probably still make a lot of mistakes but I think UNT now compared to say 20 years ago is probably a lot different and its evolving. You cant fully change overnight....its a work in progress. I am not sure about a new football stadium but yes I know we will have more dorms, COBA bldg and etc in the newt few years or so. Though I still say you bring up a lot of things to thinking about checkfacts.

Guest JohnDenver

what the heck did my thread become? :blink:

No one knows.. Well, perhaps someone knows, but not us that don't know. :blink:

Where is jaydub when we need a pizza thread?

Curious, but have you finished your degree yet and what do you do now for a living?

Rick

I had a degree prior to my time at UNT

I could finish my degree at UNT with transfer credits with the possible exception of one course....but I can possibly work that out if I desire.....I work in Ag. Research now

please stay safe in your duties :)

I had a degree prior to my time at UNT

I could finish my degree at UNT with transfer credits with the possible exception of one course....but I can possibly work that out if I desire.....I work in Ag. Research now

please stay safe in your duties :)

I will, and excuse my Troll accusations. I did not realize at the time you had lived the NT experience to the point that you have. I suggest you get that last class, and in the mean time join us this fall. NT is no where perfect, we all know that and I have had my share of complaints, believe me. But many of us have gone about trying to correct some of the wrongs found once we got there. Some succeeded, some didn't. The best part about NT is that once you get there, you get the chance to make a difference, in some way regardless of how great or little that is. Right now I see the leadership having a great opportunity to Fix a large problem with athletics in a way that would affect everything on campus. They know it needs fixing but have not decided how best to go about it. It's truly a critical time right now for RV and Dr. B and several others in position to make it happen.

Rick

You can find something negative about a university in just about every corner of the country:

Mississippi professor gets two years for harming own child.

TCU professor in jail for making terroristic threats.

UCF professor in jail for Child Porn.

University of West Virginia losing three professors.

North Texas is going through a lot of growing pains and as most often is the case the problems usually work themselves out eventually. But the truth is it couldn't be a better time than now to be attending up there because it offers students so much compared to the past. The university experience is what you make of it. If you choose to be bitter about it, it will surely be a bad experience. If you choose to enjoy it and make the best of the challenges you face then it usually turns out to be a great experience for you. Most I know experienced the latter, including myself.

Rick

I must say....I started UNT in 04 and graduated in 07 and from 04 to 07 I saw a ton of progress to UNT and I was seeing a lot new things coming there with a lot more talk of doing more stuff. I think UNT has finally started to get things right...I know they are not perfect and they probably still make a lot of mistakes but I think UNT now compared to say 20 years ago is probably a lot different and its evolving. You cant fully change overnight....its a work in progress. I am not sure about a new football stadium but yes I know we will have more dorms, COBA bldg and etc in the newt few years or so. Though I still say you bring up a lot of things to thinking about checkfacts.

I agree it is evolving. The swimming pool use to be over by the union, compare that to the rec center of today. I used to lift weights in the old womens gym. I think we have come along way, we still need to improve and we will.

From TxStBobcat's post on another thread.

As many of you know, Texas State has announced their intentions to move their football program to FBS.

Here is a link to a recently launched site that will show the progress TxSt has made and will continue to make over the next few years...

http://www.athletics.txstate.edu/thedrive/

One of our main road blocks we need to tackle is facility improvement. A brand new baseball and softball complex is set to begin construction this summer. Football Stadium expansion will follow soon after. Here is a link to a PDF that shows a lot of the facility improvements we'll be making.

http://www.athletics.txstate.edu/thedrive/...raft_042107.pdf

Rick

Amazing what can be accomplished when you have a plan and leave all options on the table. The way this stadium gig clothed in secrecy is going it's refreshing to see the plan shared with the boosters.

• 9 months later...