Does Fouts Keep People Away?

EagleD

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that the condition of the stadium has relatively little to do with attracting fans. It has a lot more to do with the product on the field.

B12 schools don't not come to Fouts because it is old, they don't come because it is small and the crowds are small ( small revenue). It all has to do with revenue...UT will make more selling out their stadium and giving a check to NT every year than having a home and away series with NT. They will have a series with a school with a larger crowd.

B12 schools don't not come to Fouts because it is old, they don't come because it is small and the crowds are small ( small revenue). It all has to do with revenue...UT will make more selling out their stadium and giving a check to NT every year than having a home and away series with NT. They will have a series with a school with a larger crowd.

It is not because of stadium size. And Fouts would be full for UT.

In 2009 UT will play at Wyoming:

"Jonah Field at War Memorial Stadium, capacity 32,580 was built in 1950. Artificial turf, installed in the summer of '05 sets off this stadium, which at an elevation of 7,220 feet is the highest Division I football stadium in America."

Edited by NT80

It is not because of stadium size. And Fouts would be full for UT.

In 2009 UT will play at Wyoming:

"Jonah Field at War Memorial Stadium, capacity 32,580 was built in 1950. Artificial turf, installed in the summer of '05 sets off this stadium, which at an elevation of 7,220 feet is the highest Division I football stadium in America."

That's true, but UT usually plays BCS teams (Ohio State series recently)...

My point is that a larger(full) venue is what the big schools are looking for. A lot of large stadia are old Michigan, Rose Bowl...

If you have a great stadium but no support from the fans, you will still not get big-name schools in. I'm a big college footbal fan and could not care less about the quality of the stadium(as long as it is not dilapidated).

That's true, but UT usually plays BCS teams (Ohio State series recently)...

My point is that a larger(full) venue is what the big schools are looking for. A lot of large stadia are old Michigan, Rose Bowl...

If you have a great stadium but no support from the fans, you will still not get big-name schools in. I'm a big college footbal fan and could not care less about the quality of the stadium(as long as it is not dilapidated).

I think in the case of the Wyoming game UT was just looking to play in a different part of the country than they usually do, similar to the game at UCF last season. Army and Navy have started doing this to find new recruiting areas, satisfy far-off alum groups, and pick up a more "National" fan base, like Notre Dame.

Guest 97and03

I think in the case of the Wyoming game UT was just looking to play in a different part of the country than they usually do, similar to the game at UCF last season. Army and Navy have started doing this to find new recruiting areas, satisfy far-off alum groups, and pick up a more "National" fan base, like Notre Dame.

In the case of the Wyoming game, UT needed an opponent b/c of Arkansas wanting to switch the years for their upcoming series with the Horns.

The solution is not to bleed more out of the few turnips that have shown loyalty to the program, it's to find the reason that more people have so little pride in being associated with the school AND THEN FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM.

Adler,

what is that reason, and how would you go about fixing it?

Adler,

The Reason: Kids in Texas grow up as fans of either Texas, A&M, or OU.

To Fix It: Get kids to be fans of North Texas by giving away football and basketball tickets, and not just for one game a season.

Guest 97and03

Adler,

I think his solution usually has something to do with throwing money at the problem. That money is generally generated from student fees, if I am not mistaken.

(I agree that student fees will have to go up for UNT athletics to move forward. I just don't that that it is the only part of the solution, just one important part.)

I think his solution usually has something to do with throwing money at the problem. That money is generally generated from student fees, if I am not mistaken.

(I agree that student fees will have to go up for UNT athletics to move forward. I just don't that that it is the only part of the solution, just one important part.)

I prefer to use "Investing" money towards solving the problem rather than thowing it at the problem. Several of our problems could be dealt with directly if the APPROPRIATE and RESPONSIBLE leadership wisely invested it. For instance, an annual $17 Million fund raised from the ONE advantage North Texas has over many other universities(large numbers of students) could increase coaching salaries, help towards updating equipment and facilities. In turn recruitment improves and overall the winning begins. Winning instills pride. Pride instills investment through donations back to the university. Makes too much sense to me?

Rick

Guest 97and03

I prefer to use "Investing" money towards solving the problem rather than thowing it at the problem. Several of our problems could be dealt with directly if the APPROPRIATE and RESPONSIBLE leadership wisely invested it. For instance, an annual $17 Million fund raised from the ONE advantage North Texas has over many other universities(large numbers of students) could increase coaching salaries, help towards updating equipment and facilities. In turn recruitment improves and overall the winning begins. Winning instills pride. Pride instills investment through donations back to the university. Makes too much sense to me?

Rick

I don't really have any problem with that assessment. I just don't think money alone is the answer. As you pointed out, if monetary support is increased it needs to be used wisely so that good things result.

I don't really have any problem with that assessment. I just don't think money alone is the answer. As you pointed out, if monetary support is increased it needs to be used wisely so that good things result.

It's not entirely the answer. As I stated previously, it has to be "INVESTED WISELY". If you don't fix the problem which is allowing people to come, graduate and leave without growing an ounce of school pride and never to return again with a dime in hand, your then cutting your own throat as a university and that's what we have been doing to ourselves for years. That's why our season tickets sales are where they are, the attendance is where it is and the MGC is where it is as well as the endowment level. Fix that problem by winning and instilling pride into our students and the other problems will take care of themselves.

Rick

To respond directly to the original question (DOES FOUTS KEEP PEOPLE AWAY) My answer is ....

No! The administration's attitude for the last 60 years that what goes on at Fouts is no more important, or worthy of their support, than the events that go on at the main auditorium, the residal (sp?) hall, or "the Armadillo", is what has kept people away....not Fouts itself.

than the events that go on at the main auditorium, the residal (sp?) hall, or "the Armadillo", is what has kept people away....not Fouts itself.

Please Explain... Not sure where your going with this. no sarcasm, just a general interest.

Please Explain... Not sure where your going with this. no sarcasm, just a general interest.

I think what he means is if there was outstanding school spirit, strong administrative support, rich tradition, well marketed and publicized university activities, support from the city of Denton, etc.. then Fouts would be the greatest and we'd love and fill it every home game. IMO

I think what he means is if there was outstanding school spirit, strong administrative support, rich tradition, well marketed and publicized university activities, support from the city of Denton, etc.. then Fouts would be the greatest and we'd love and fill it every home game. IMO

Got it, just read it incorrrectly.

Look folks, it is hard to get much tradition going when things change as often as they have with UNT Athletics over the last 20-25 years...how many logos? How many different NCAA divisions, how many different conferences, can we tailgate? can we not tailgate? What is the name of the mascot...Eppy? Scrappy? What is the color of green? Are we the Eagles or the Mean Green.....GEEEEEZZZZZ Louise! PICK SOMETHING and stick with it! Whatever it is! Just stay with it, and traditions will grow and folks will find reasons to support the programs instead of the countless number of reasons I have seen on this site as to why one does not support the programs. It is not Fouts! It is all this "other" stuff lots of you have mentioned here. Since all that has taken place it will take some time to "rebuild"...man, I hate that phrase...the new stadium (yes, it will be built soon) will help, having some great coaches will help...staying with the same color, logo, etc. will help...BUT MOST OF ALL what would help is if everyone would "get over whatever it is" and buy season tickets (and show up at the hgames), join the Exes, join the Mean Green Club and really get behind the adminsitartion, the athletic dept and most of all the players on ALL the teams.

Find a way to be part of the solution, not and EXCUSE to be part of the problem!

GO MEAN GREEN...JOIN THE MEAN GREEN CLUB...JOIN THE EXERS...BUY SEASON TICKETS AND COME TO THE GAMES...don't just stay in the tailgate areas...get yourself into the stadium BEFORE kick-off and enjoy some good timkes with the Mean Green nation. It means a great deal to the players to look around and see a great crowd. If you have ever played ANY sport...think about the times a larger than expexcted crowd showed up and how that made you feel. Well, out student-athletes are just the same...if for no other reason...SUPPORT THEM!

Oh money really is the answer. And it really does not have to necessarily be invested into the program correctly.. You can make a lot of mistakes if you have money to throw at a program. The biggest problem is that so many of the sports fans that graduated from UNT support other college programs. They view UNT as the place where they got their degree and that is all.. Money and Winning solves this problem.. I wish we had more money..

It's a slow time of year and I thought I'd take a moment to ask a simple question. Does our dilapidated football stadium keep people from attending games?

Let me first say that the atmosphere around games the last 10 years has improved exponentially. That alone has pushed attendance up. But when our team is not winning (the main reason for poor attendance anywhere) how much does it hurt attendance that Fouts sucks?

Personally, I have to say it made me think twice before traveling to Denton. I made one game last year and that was at SMU. It's a three hour drive for me, and I have new obligations that make it much more difficult to find time to travel. But if I knew I was going to a new state of the art stadium with a roaring crowd, I'd make that trek a little more.

Call it a sense of pride. I'm embarrassed by our current stadium, and I hate seeing our team lose. Change one of those factors (preferrably both) and I suspect we will have crowds never before seen in Denton.

Just my two cents. Yours?

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not ideal due to track being located inside stadium. Otherwise, not any real detractions given where the program is now. Very easy to get to and parking easy also. Restroom upgrades last season were desperately needed. Once we win, upgrade conference and opponents then yes, we will definitely need to improve our act.

Not ideal due to track being located inside stadium. Otherwise, not any real detractions given where the program is now. Very easy to get to and parking easy also. Restroom upgrades last season were desperately needed. Once we win, upgrade conference and opponents then yes, we will definitely need to improve our act.

Fouts was modern for 1952, and multifunctional for then too serving both football and track. At 20,000 seats and even a curve to the stands, it had plenty of capacity for it's 6,000 student campus.

The optimum time to renovate and expand Fouts was during the 70's. When NT and Fry were winning big and pushing for a SWC invite Fry had plans drawn and a model made to dig Fouts down and get rid of the track for a 40,000 seat newish and upgraded version. But they opted to use new and plush Texas Stadium instead as a way to draw in premium opponents, and he lured some there.

Then as we know, Fry left, NT dropped to 1-AA, and athletic funding diminished. Old Fouts became the home field again and was considered good enough for basic 1-AA fan needs.

In 1995, the push for 1-A produced an addition of 10,000 Walmart-bought bleachers to meet the requirement. 1-A on-a-limited-budget meant keeping Fouts useful for as long as possible. New metal seating in the stands replaced the old wood splintered ones (splinters proved you were at the game) and the old grass field was replaced with a rug.

RV has added as much as can be added to Fouts in it's minimal remaining life, including better turf, two Presidential suites, new concession areas, monitors, scoreboard, painting, fencing, decks, etc.

The new stadium (when and if it ever happens) will be the end chapter to Fouts. It will also be a commitment to a new era of football at NT and necessary if NT has any allusions of moving up conferences a notch. In other words, it is 30-years past when it was needed! <_<

RV has added as much as can be added to Fouts in it's minimal remaining life, including better turf, two Presidential suites, new concession areas, monitors, scoreboard, painting, fencing, decks, etc.

I will never, never forgive RV for removing the piss walls in the restrooms and replacing them with those waterless things! There's no fun in waterless urinals.

Fouts was modern for 1952, and multifunctional for then too serving both football and track. At 20,000 seats and even a curve to the stands, it had plenty of capacity for it's 6,000 student campus.

The optimum time to renovate and expand Fouts was during the 70's. When NT and Fry were winning big and pushing for a SWC invite Fry had plans drawn and a model made to dig Fouts down and get rid of the track for a 40,000 seat newish and upgraded version. But they opted to use new and plush Texas Stadium instead as a way to draw in premium opponents, and he lured some there.

Then as we know, Fry left, NT dropped to 1-AA, and athletic funding diminished. Old Fouts became the home field again and was considered good enough for basic 1-AA fan needs.

In 1995, the push for 1-A produced an addition of 10,000 Walmart-bought bleachers to meet the requirement. 1-A on-a-limited-budget meant keeping Fouts useful for as long as possible. New metal seating in the stands replaced the old wood splintered ones (splinters proved you were at the game) and the old grass field was replaced with a rug.

The new stadium (when and if it ever happens) will be the end chapter to Fouts. It will also be a commitment to a new era of football at NT and necessary if NT has any allusions of moving up conferences a notch. In other words, it is 30-years past when it was needed! <_<

Good Lord that is just too depressing to read.

I was looking at the thecb website yesterday, building inventory of UNT, it is listed that the initial cost to build Fouts was $192,000. The Most expensive building on campus, the Pohl Recreation center sitting at nearly 32 mil in initial building cost. Which, if I am not mistaken, was funded by student fees, where could we use tat sort of funding?

Edited by filmerj

Guest 97and03

I will never, never forgive RV for removing the piss walls in the restrooms and replacing them with those waterless things! There's no fun in waterless urinals.

I am sure you miss sword-fighting with the guy next to you, but the rest us are probably pretty ok with the change...

The walls have been gone for a while, they were replaced by the metal trough. I don't remeber how long ago that was. But as a Kido I sure liked the piss walls.

Edited by KingDL1