Smut Finally Signs Two Game Contract.....

NT80

...to play SFA. :mellow:

Per DMN, SMUt will play Stephen F. Austin for the first time in football, hosting the Lumberjacks in 2009 and 2012, SFA announced. SFA will open it's 2009 schedule on Sept. 5, 2009 against the Phonies at Ford Stadium.

Edited by NT80

Why is this on the Mean Green Football forum? I realize NT80, in an attempt at humor, put this in the football forum trying to get hits, but it doesn't belong here.

And yes I realize I'm a stick in the mud. But damn people, how hard is it to post something in the correct forum.

Why is this on the forum? I realize NT80, in an attempt at humor, put this in the football forum trying to get hits, but it doesn't belong here.

And yes I realize I'm a stick in the mud. But damn people, how hard is it to post something in the correct forum.

I didn't post it to get hits. Smut is supposed to be working on a long term contract with UNT yet claiming they have no open dates for us...then they sign this. It does belong here, as much as any other off-season football news that directly relates to our program. Go wake up again, gez!

Edited by NT80

Why is this on the Mean Green Football forum? I realize NT80, in an attempt at humor, put this in the football forum trying to get hits, but it doesn't belong here.

Why are you always playing hall monitor? I am hoping for a SMU & UNT deal and it shows what they are up to. Man relax it is just a Fan Forum, have a beer, enjoy the beautiful day and back away from the keyboard.

Why are you always playing hall monitor? I am hoping for a SMU & UNT deal and it shows what they are up to. Man relax it is just a Fan Forum, have a beer, enjoy the beautiful day and back away from the keyboard.

Because I don't want to read anything but NT football on the NT football forum.

I didn't post it to get hits. Smut is supposed to be working on a long term contract with UNT yet claiming they have no open dates for us...then they sign this. It does belong here, as much as any other off-season football news that directly relates to our program. Go wake up again, gez!

I too have been waiting for a long term contract with them. A rival that close in distance is a double plus.

Because I don't want to read anything but NT football on the NT football forum.

If that is the case, there will be about nothing to read this time of year... Lighten up this time of the year... you need to be a more liberal thinking person or just be bored. ... either that or check back in August. ...you won't miss much. [maybe just who will not be coming back due to poor grades]

Perhaps someone should report on when the grass is mowed near the stadium or practice field and that would be exciting. I notice no protest was lodged on the ASU cheerleader article...LOL..

As "NT80" pointed out, it looks like SMU is avoiding playing NT in FOOTBALL again...by scheduling SFA

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

If that is the case, there will be about nothing to read this time of year... Lighten up this time of the year... you need to be a more liberal thinking person or just be bored. ... either that or check back in August. ...you won't miss much. [maybe just who will not be coming back due to poor grades]

Perhaps someone should report on when the grass is mowed near the stadium or practice field and that would be exciting. I notice no protest was lodged on the ASU cheerleader article...LOL..

As "NT80" pointed out, it looks like SMU is avoiding playing NT in FOOTBALL again...by scheduling SFA

They know we are going to kick some butt and they do not want any part of it.

Looks like $MU is trolling for wins.

Yes, because June Jones realizes that the easiest way to build a mid-major school into one with national appeal is to rack up the wins...to pad the win totals with the SFA's of the world instead of ensuring several losses by taking on LSU, UT, OU, etc.

Yes, because June Jones realizes that the easiest way to build a mid-major school into one with national appeal is to rack up the wins...to pad the win totals with the SFA's of the world instead of ensuring several losses by taking on LSU, UT, OU, etc.

You're right, and for a school like $MU, who is not hurting for money, it doesn't make sense to play big boys for the payday and sure loss.

Currently posted on Wikipedia... I guess it is correct.

The term bowl eligible refers to any NCAA football team that is able to play in one of the 34 bowl games that are a part of the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS; formerly Division I-A) season. In order to be bowl eligible, a team must have at least six wins, including conference and out-of-conference games, and the team must not be on probation. The NCAA allows one victory per season over a Division I FCS (formerly I-AA) team to count toward an FBS team's bowl eligibility, so long as the FCS team has supplied financial aid for football averaging out to at least 56.7 full scholarships (90% of the limit of 63 allowed to FCS schools) over the preceding two years. This prevents teams from scheduling multiple games against FCS teams in an effort to pad their win total.

On April 26, 2006, the NCAA announced that they were relaxing the rules for eligibility starting with the 2006 season, particularly in light of the new 12 game college football season. Now, teams with .500 records can qualify for bowl games if their conference has a contract with a bowl game. Also, teams with .500 records (i.e. 6-6) could earn bowl bids if all other FBS teams with winning records have been taken and postseason spots still remain vacant

Currently posted on Wikipedia... I guess it is correct.

The term bowl eligible refers to any NCAA football team that is able to play in one of the 34 bowl games that are a part of the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS; formerly Division I-A) season. In order to be bowl eligible, a team must have at least six wins, including conference and out-of-conference games, and the team must not be on probation. The NCAA allows one victory per season over a Division I FCS (formerly I-AA) team to count toward an FBS team's bowl eligibility, so long as the FCS team has supplied financial aid for football averaging out to at least 56.7 full scholarships (90% of the limit of 63 allowed to FCS schools) over the preceding two years. This prevents teams from scheduling multiple games against FCS teams in an effort to pad their win total.

On April 26, 2006, the NCAA announced that they were relaxing the rules for eligibility starting with the 2006 season, particularly in light of the new 12 game college football season. Now, teams with .500 records can qualify for bowl games if their conference has a contract with a bowl game. Also, teams with .500 records (i.e. 6-6) could earn bowl bids if all other FBS teams with winning records have been taken and postseason spots still remain vacant

Interesting - thanks. I knew at one time they didn't count, but I guess that has changed.

Lets turn this discussion around. What if a Div 1 FCS school

approached NT to play a couple of games in Denton?

Would you say no to another home game?

I sure would like to have another home game to go to

even if it was a 1-AA team.

Texas State---[southwest Texas] which has as long history of competiton with us, just not recently much ( 39 games, last ones in 1984-1994). They are very large (over 27,000 ) and are wanting to make the jump to I-A which likely will eventually happen. It is in driving distance for many fans to attend and it has a large student body so travel either way would contribute a lot of fans. They might agree to a 2 for 1 deal.

Texas State---[southwest Texas] which has as long history of competiton with us, just not recently much ( 39 games, last ones in 1984-1994). They are very large (over 27,000 ) and are wanting to make the jump to I-A which likely will eventually happen. It is in driving distance for many fans to attend and it has a large student body so travel either way would contribute a lot of fans. They might agree to a 2 for 1 deal.

We have played Texas State more than any other team and hold a commanding lead in the all-time series. I'd be happy to play them, however there is no reason for us to play at Texas State until they are Div 1. They are welcome to come up here as often as they like.

Edited by Eagle1855

We have played Texas State more than any other team and hold a commanding lead in the all-time series. I'd be happy to play them, however there is no reason for us to play at Texas State until they are Div 1. They are welcome to come up here as often as they like.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to travel to an FCS stadium, just as Texas State wouldn't go on the road to Tarleton or A&M-Kingsville. However, if you time it right, you can still get a trip to Austin, a toobing trip, and your wives could spend all of your money at the outlet malls.

That being said, I would love to come to Denton to play a game. Hopefully we can start to schedule some games as we get closer to the FBS move.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to travel to an FCS stadium, just as Texas State wouldn't go on the road to Tarleton or A&M-Kingsville. However, if you time it right, you can still get a trip to Austin, a toobing trip, and your wives could spend all of your money at the outlet malls.

That being said, I would love to come to Denton to play a game. Hopefully we can start to schedule some games as we get closer to the FBS move.

Floating the Guadalupe = greatness.

On a personal level, I'd be happy to come down to Texas State. I've got friends that live in the area and I know would be a great time! I just don't think UNT needs to be traveling to FCS stadiums.

I'd love to have yall up to Fouts, however. Sooner than later.

On a personal level, I'd be happy to come down to Texas State. I've got friends that live in the area and I know would be a great time! I just don't think UNT needs to be traveling to FCS stadiums.

I'd love to have yall up to Fouts, however. Sooner than later.

Assuming a Texas State game at home could come close to selling out if they were our home opener (I know a big assumption) would it be financially wise to replace one of these "body bag" games? If you figure 25,000 at an average of about $15 per ticket...man, we're a good "value"...then you get a gate of $375,000. This number though is highly inflated because it includes the students who would get in free, so we're talking less. Out of that you'd have to pay Texas State something. I know you also throw in parking at concessions but I just don't see where we could replace a $700,000 pay day.