Smut Finally Signs Two Game Contract.....

NT80

Assuming a Texas State game at home could come close to selling out if they were our home opener (I know a big assumption) would it be financially wise to replace one of these "body bag" games? If you figure 25,000 at an average of about $15 per ticket...man, we're a good "value"...then you get a gate of $375,000. This number though is highly inflated because it includes the students who would get in free, so we're talking less. Out of that you'd have to pay Texas State something. I know you also throw in parking at concessions but I just don't see where we could replace a $700,000 pay day.

no I dont think that it makes as much sense financially to forgo a 700k pay day in favor of a FCS team at home. However, if we could work out our body bag game to be a couple weeks into the season (like LSU this year), I'd have no problem chunkin the deuce to K-State in to bring a local rival home for our opener.

OK, a $700,000 payday sounds appealing, but how much of that is eaten up by travel expenses? Would that be enough to offset a solid home gate (minus expenses) and just as important to me, the likely "W" in the column as opposed to another azz whupping a la OU last year?

OK, a $700,000 payday sounds appealing, but how much of that is eaten up by travel expenses? Would that be enough to offset a solid home gate (minus expenses) and just as important to me, the likely "W" in the column as opposed to another azz whupping a la OU last year?

There is noway in the world, NT could come close to matching $700,000 with a home game. If you assume a sell out, there would be at most 10,000 end zone tickets and 12,000 side line seats. Assume that it is a premium opponent and NT could charge $40 a sideline, and $15 an end zone ticket. That would be gross ticket revenues of $630,000. Despite the fact that NT has never come remotely close to that much gross ticket revenue, the game would still not compare with a guaranteed $700,000. Remember that $700,000 is for one game. If it were a NT home game, there would either have to be a very large guarantee to the visitor or one or more return games. Most likely for a team that could command that kind of attendance, NT would have to give more than 2 return games but assume that it is a 2 for one deal than the estimated finances would be something close to this:

Game at LSU - $700,000 guarantee less expenses $25,000 equal per game net $675,000.

Game at NT - Gross tickets receipts $630,000; plus parking, concessions $50,000 less game expenses $30,000 less travel expenses for two return games $50,000 equals a per game net of $200,000.

no I dont think that it makes as much sense financially to forgo a 700k pay day in favor of a FCS team at home. However, if we could work out our body bag game to be a couple weeks into the season (like LSU this year), I'd have no problem chunkin the deuce to K-State in to bring a local rival home for our opener.

Well that makes sense but how about such games as Tulsa... that was not a big payday and not a lot of help for us beating a "name" school either. We have had a few of those. (LaTech, and, Akron, was no big deal either)

Well that makes sense but how about such games as Tulsa... that was not a big payday and not a lot of help for us beating a "name" school either. We have had a few of those. (LaTech, and, Akron, was no big deal either)

you're probably right, but I'd like to see what happens if we ever play a school in our state. I mean we've only played a couple in the last 5 years, and both times it's yielded a pretty good-sized crowd.