And The Winner Is...

flyeater

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure don't see it as sour grapes - I just see it as him calling it as he sees it, just as anyone else calls it as they see it. You can sugar coat this hire all day long, but with those that were finalists, this is a bad hire.

Not commenting about the hire. Capps was my first choice.

I couldn't believe this thread turned into a bash JJ event. The man has 40% of our 20 win seasons in history and 1 NCAA appearance. We don't have alot of winning tradition in basketball, so you could argue he's already nearing the top of our all-time list. Probably in the top 5 at least.

Was she the head coach at Rice and Clemson? I thought she was an assistant.

She's never been a head coach.

Her Rice teams averaged 19.9 wins per season, while she was there.

But while she's been at Clemson (the last three years) her teams have a record of 32-58.

Edited by SUMG

She's never been a head coach.

Her Rice teams averaged 19.9 wins per season, while she was there.

But while she's been at Clemson (the last three years) her teams have a record of 32-58.

Well coaching Rice and Clemson are like coaching in different worlds, but why does every thing I read seem to lead the reader to believing that she was the head person at these schools, when in fact she was just an assistant. That is like saying that Todd Ford's (our OC) teams won 2 games while he was at UNT.

Well coaching Rice and Clemson are like coaching in different worlds, but why does every thing I read seem to lead the reader to believing that she was the head person at these schools, when in fact she was just an assistant. That is like saying that Todd Ford's (our OC) teams won 2 games while he was at UNT.

Every time an assistant is hired to be a head coach....that assistant's record is noted. We all knew that Dickey had been 6-5 at SMU (as OC) before he got our job.

Vito about Stephens: "She is also the only female minority head coach at DFW's Big Three (UNT, SMU and TCU)." :ph34r:

Brutally irrelevant observation. What the hell is "DFW's Big Three"?

This is no more significant than pointing out that "TCU's Jeff Mittie is the only male non-minority head coach at DFW's Big Three." Way to be the voice of social awareness, Vito. :angry:

Every time an assistant is hired to be a head coach....that assistant's record is noted. We all knew that Dickey had been 6-5 at SMU (as OC) before he got our job.

I guess I am out of the loop then, I just always referred DD to "we hired the then OC of SMU". I give the record credit to the head coach.

On a side note, Gary Blair always seems to win where he goes, and his assistant was up for the job - a coach who had won not only in the Southland conference while at SFA, but the SEC and Big 12, I guess we didn't pay enough?

I have been checking meangreensports.com on and off since the decision but they have mentioned nothing on the hiring yet. Why are they not posting it? Isnt her press conference scheduled today at like 11am?

You mean why has the official press materials not be made public? Probably to make sure DFW media actually comes out for the event instead of taking their materials and saving the trip. My suggestion for fixing the problem is more Sexy Time!, but I never get what I want.

Now, if you have the same question at 11:15 am, something went wrong.

Brutally irrelevant observation. What the hell is "DFW's Big Three"?

This is no more significant than pointing out that "TCU's Jeff Mittie is the only male non-minority head coach at DFW's Big Three." Way to be the voice of social awareness, Vito. :angry:

not only relevant but could be the main reason over capps

not only relevant but could be the main reason over capps

if the case, exactly why it shouldn't be mentioned. for starters, it's a dumb observation, even if it did influence those doing the hiring. irrelevant is irrelevant, and I have a hard time believing that RV/others looked around and asked, "hey, what's the race/gender scoreboard on DFW area women's college basketball coaches?" just dumb and trivial, not really news. I also doubt that by and large, recruits aren't that shallow.

I bet less than half of the women's b-ball experts on this thread....have ever been to a women's game.

So, if you support Coach Stephens' hiring.....show up at her games.

No....I don't wanna.

Is it terrible that the idea of going cheap on a Women's Basketball coach sounds fine to me? I realize this isn't the most PC thing to say, and I root for the girls to do well, but does an above average Women's B-ball team really add that much to the Prestige of our Program? Look yourself in the mirror and ask, other than wanting all things UNT to succeed, do I really care about this?

Edited by Green P1

No....I don't wanna.

Is it terrible that the idea of going cheap on a Women's Basketball coach sounds fine to me? I realize this isn't the most PC thing to say, and I root for the girls to do well, but does an above average Women's B-ball team really add that much to the Prestige of our Program? Look yourself in the mirror and ask, other than wanting all things UNT to succeed, do I really care about this?

In a word, yes, having a good women's basketball program does help with the prestige of the overall program. Though it's not readily apparent to many, conferences don't extend invitations just based on football and men's basketball. And there is a reason that conferences give out an all sports trophy...we haven't won the "Vic Bubbas" cup yet.

No....I don't wanna.

Even if you don't care that much about any of the women's sports.......do realize this:

Women's basketball is a sport that can make money. We've seen it happen at places like Texas, Baylor, La. Tech, TTech....and on a lesser scale SFA. (back in the 90s).

If we could get our women's program to the point where they're averaging 1500-2000 a game....that program would be bringing in so much more money than it does now. Right now, we lose money on women's b-ball. If we started making money on it....that would help out all our other sports, by loosening up budget money for them.

So, it would help men's basketball and football....if at least one women's sport started making some money.

No....I don't wanna.

Yes, I do care.

Even if you don't care that much about any of the women's sports.......do realize this:

Women's basketball is a sport that can make money. We've seen it happen at places like Texas, Baylor, La. Tech, TTech....and on a lesser scale SFA. (back in the 90s).

If we could get our women's program to the point where they're averaging 1500-2000 a game....that program would be bringing in so much more money than it does now. Right now, we lose money on women's b-ball. If we started making money on it....that would help out all our other sports, by loosening up budget money for them.

So, it would help men's basketball and football....if at least one women's sport started making some money.

That wasn't meant as a blanket statement for all women's sports. In the absence of men' soccer or baseball, I really enjoy taking in a Soccer/Softball game as often as I can. What I was inferring is that to me, the place to break, or even open up, the bank for a coach is not the women's basketball program. I think it's perfectly fine to just bring in new blood rather than spend extra for someone that, although has had success, would be far from a guaranteed commodity.