Nolan Richardson To Asu?

Smitty

NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - Nolan Richardson says he's talking with Arkansas State officials about the school's basketball coaching vacancy.

Richardson has been out of college coaching since being fired by Arkansas in 2002. He made his remarks after a luncheon Monday in North Little Rock.

The job has been open since Dickey Nutt resigned two weeks ago.

Richardson said he has had dialogue with Arkansas State, and he plans to visit some more with the school's athletic director and chancellor.

Could Richardson could do for ASU basketball what Schnellenberger is doing for FAU football?

Edited by Smitty

I think it would be a good move for both he and ASU. He would certainly have an advantage over others they could hire because of his ties from Arkansas, which would help him pick up some good recruits within the state. They would play a lot more disciplined basketball than what Nutt had them running as well.

Could Richardson could do for ASU basketball what Schnellenberger is doing for FAU football?

I think he would do better than Schnellenberger is doing. I am not sure though if he is just talking to ASU out of being considerate, or if he is really interested in coaching them. He finishes up his last paycheck this April I believe from the UA, so he may be looking to get back into coaching and keep the pay coming. If he took over for ASU though, that might be a dangerous combo, as he would love to prove to Hog fans that they made a mistake.

If I remember Coach Richardson kept making all sorts of racist comments for several years and his mouth finally got the best of him and Arkansas let him go.

IMHO, ASU would be better off to hire the OSU assistant who has shown some interest.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/specials/082404.htm

I don't recall him saying much for several years, but lately my memory has failed me around here. :lol: Seems to me he has no problem with a variety of people...

El Paso is his second home, he coached The Panamanian National Team, still coaches the Mexican National Team, ...The guy has earned his share of respect, being the only coach to win a Junior College National Championship, the NIT, and the NCAA Tournament.

who knows what those Arkies were saying to him? Maybe he got caught in a stupid fit of words that he doesn't really feel.

Is this the same Nolan Richardson that left the U of A basketball program in shambles after getting fired? GMG1999 might be able to shed a little more light on this.

There are many who feel like he stopped really recruiting once he won the title in 1994. He was a great coach, and I liked him, but as untbowler says, he did run his mouth a lot. It was probably time for a change.

Nolan Richardson started his coaching career at El Paso Bowie, where he coached men's and women's basketball. One of the members of the womens team was my mother, so the family has always had a soft spot for Coach Richardson.

So... uh... Go Bowie Bears... mascot.gif

That would be inaccurate. It is correctly hailed as "Viva la Bowie!"

Get your lingo straight, sir ;)

To put it mildly there has been a little bit of discussion of Nolan among ASU fans.

I'd like to compare somethings.

Nolan asked about his legacy created a stir when he said that if he were white they'd have built a statute of him.

By contrast, Bobby Knight demanded that the Basketball Hall of Fame remove his name from consideration when he didn't make it on the first ballot (they ignored him and put him in the next year).

Nolan sued Arkansas and the trial was ugly as Frank Broyles and two board of trustee members had to admit under oath the use of racial slurs and jokes. He lost his trial but the judge said that there was ample reason to believe bias but failed to prove it was why he was fired.

Knight sued Indiana, his case was dismissed before trial by the judge because the case was insufficient.

There's a picture of Coach Richardson in today's D-RC. I didn't recognize him. I guess all those years, he had been wearing a toupee. Anyway, now he's bald on top....with gray/white hair.

As a bald guy myself, I applaud Nolan for dropping the toupee.