Stars Major Trade

Stars make major trade. What do you think? I worry about not having a decent net minder behind marty.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/nhl_exper...B?urn=nhl,68602

DALLAS STARS ACQUIRE BRAD RICHARDS AND JOHAN HOLMQVIST

FROM TAMPA BAY IN EXCHANGE FOR JEFF HALPERN,

JUSSI JOKINEN AND MIKE SMITH & A 2009 FOURTH ROUND PICK

2004 Conn Smythe & Lady Byng Winner Comes to Big D

FRISCO, Tex. – The Dallas Stars announced today that the club has acquired Brad Richards and goaltender Johan Holmqvist from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for center Jeff Halpern, forward Jussi Jokinen, goaltender Mike Smith and a 2009 fourth round draft choice.

“Brad is a difference-maker and one of the premier playmakers in the National Hockey League,” said Co-General Manager Les Jackson. “At 27 years of age, he is in the prime of his playing career and a proven winner who has elevated his game to the highest levels in the playoffs. Johan Holmqvist is a reliable NHL goaltender and somebody that we will be confident in each time he is in net. It was difficult to part ways with Jeff, Jussi and Mike, since they are all consummate professionals who have done great things for our organization. Tampa Bay is getting a solid trio of players and we thank them for all they did for the Dallas Stars.”

“We are thrilled to acquire Brad Richards, a top-line talent who can play with any combination of line-mates,” said Co-General Manager Brett Hull. “His Conn Smythe Trophy as MVP of the 2004 playoffs shows he is capable of great things in the postseason. He is certainly a major addition to our group.”

Richards, 27, has appeared in 62 games with Tampa Bay this season, posting 18 goals and 33 assists for 51 points with nine power play goals and four game-winners. Among Lightning team leaders, he ranks tied for first in power play goals, second in shots (228), third in assists, fourth in goals and fourth in points. Having currently played in 342 straight games, he has only missed two games over his career.

The 6-0, 192-pound center has appeared in 552 career NHL games, registering 150 goals and 339 assists for 489 points with 49 power play goals and 18 game-winners. In 2005-06, Richards collected a career-high 68 assists and 91 points to go along with 23 goals. A five-time 20-goal scorer, he tallied a career-best 26 goals in 2003-04.

Tampa Bay’s all-time franchise leader in assists, Richards also ranks second in Lightning history in points and third in goals. During the 2004 playoffs, he was awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP as Tampa Bay won its first and only Stanley Cup championship. In 23 post-season games in 2004, he led the league in points (12-14-26) and set an NHL record with seven game-winning goals. He also won the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy in 2004, awarded to the player who best demonstrates sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct. In 45 career playoff games, he has recorded 18 goals and 29 assists for 47 points.

Holmqvist, 29, has appeared in 45 games with Tampa Bay this season, posting a 20-16-6 record with a 3.01 goals-against-average and a .890 save percentage. Last season with the Lightning, he appeared in 48 games and recorded 27 victories, both career-highs. His 27 wins ranked fifth in team history during his first full NHL season.

The 6-3, 198-pound goaltender was originally drafted by the New York Rangers in the seventh round (175th overall) at the 1997 NHL Entry Draft. He appeared in four games over parts of three seasons from 2000 – 2003 with the New York Rangers prior to signing as a free agent with Tampa Bay on July 1, 2006. The Tolfta, Sweden, native has played for his country at the 2006 World Championships and the 1998 World Junior Championships. He was also named Swedish Junior of the Year in 1997-98.

--stars--

Edited by filmerj

This is a hell of a deal for the Stars. Richards was the one player who would come in here and "fit." He plays both ends and will be a nice addition to an already outstanding special teams. He's gonna cost considerably...but Cups (ok, second rounds) cost money. Add to that the Stars can nab Holmqvist, who's 20-16 with a 3.01 GAA this season, to replace Mike Smith who was going to be the most appealing trade piece...thats salty.

I love Jussi, but all he's consistantly shown is an ability to win shootouts.

Great move by the Stars

Not much of a hockey fan, but from what I can tell...this is a good trade for the Stars. They need the help to "push" for the Cup this year. I do not want anyone saying that Hicks will not "step up" with the $$$$$ to make a deal. This is a costly deal, so it needs to work for the Stars. I hate to lose Smith, but..."ya gotta win NOW, Baby"....as they say in pro sports.....GO STARS! Dallas needs a "winner" on the professional sports scene...I mean a Championship winner, not just a "winner" in terms of wins and loses!

Now, my favorite...FC Dallas...same thing....win when it counts...the psot season in 2008! :thumbsup:

Not much of a hockey fan, but from what I can tell...this is a good trade for the Stars. They need the help to "push" for the Cup this year. I do not want anyone saying that Hicks will not "step up" with the $$$$$ to make a deal. This is a costly deal, so it needs to work for the Stars. I hate to lose Smith, but..."ya gotta win NOW, Baby"....as they say in pro sports.....GO STARS! Dallas needs a "winner" on the professional sports scene...I mean a Championship winner, not just a "winner" in terms of wins and loses!

Now, my favorite...FC Dallas...same thing....win when it counts...the psot season in 2008! :thumbsup:

This is not a costly deal. It is a lot of salary tied up into one player, but at the end of the day, it's nothing above what the market is bearing for productive players. This doesn't absolve Hicks past moves for me...but a cup would.

At the end of the day it is a "costly" move not only in dollars tied up in one guy, but in trading away Smith...BUT, if the wins come and the Cup returns to Dallas...all is well. I think this will turn out to be a good move for the Stars....

At the end of the day it is a "costly" move not only in dollars tied up in one guy, but in trading away Smith...BUT, if the wins come and the Cup returns to Dallas...all is well. I think this will turn out to be a good move for the Stars....

I hate to see Smith go however Dallas has proven time and time again they can draft and develop goalies. Trading smith will not hurt us.

This is not a costly deal. It is a lot of salary tied up into one player, but at the end of the day, it's nothing above what the market is bearing for productive players. This doesn't absolve Hicks past moves for me...but a cup would.

he only gets a pass for one season, Hockey season, that is. Not baseball.

I hate to see Smith go however Dallas has proven time and time again they can draft and develop goalies. Trading smith will not hurt us.

Not in the long run, but this makes me a little nervous about the remainder of this season.

...overall, this is a good trade. I'll miss jussi, but good move overall.

UNTLifer...interesting thought "soccer on ice"...Hmmmmmmm...perhaps you have a point....but, I do not haer folks crying that hockey is so low scoring that they do not like it....so, what's the difference there???? I do see lots of 1-0, 0-0 (OT), 2-1, etc., etc. hockey scores.

My "challenge" with hockey is that it does not at all translate to a TV sport...it is fun to watch only in person...and I can't get to or afford many Stars games. Without the big TV money, seat prices are pretty stiff for me if you want to be in good seats near the action and not up in the nosebleed section. Plus, did not grow up with hockey...a Texan by birth....and none of my kids played hockey, so have not been that exposed to it. But, I do enjoy a good fight...oops, I mean Hockey Game, when I get the chance. And the players seem like professionals both on and off the ice....mostly good guys...even if one can't pronounce more than about a third of their names! :lol:

UNTLifer...interesting thought "soccer on ice"...Hmmmmmmm...perhaps you have a point....but, I do not haer folks crying that hockey is so low scoring that they do not like it....so, what's the difference there???? I do see lots of 1-0, 0-0 (OT), 2-1, etc., etc. hockey scores.

Low scoring? The Stars are averaging almost 3 goals a game during the regular season (2.97 to be exact) To put that in football terms that's 21 pts a game. (I know TD's are 6 and XP are 1 but for the sake of argument XP's are all but guaranteed and hockey has no XP.)

Compare that to the regular season average scoring of 23 points per game by the Super Bowl champion NY Giants and I'd say hockey and football are pretty close in scoring action.

I agree that hockey is more difficult to casually watch on TV however it's been my experience that once a person attends one or two games and pick up how's its played and learn to anticipate puck movement and the geometry of play then it's pretty easy to watch on TV.

Adman...you should go back and read some of my posting regarding the soccer vs baseball stuff on this site...I have made the same "argument" about goals and scores over and over for more than 25 years...if soccer goals counted 7 points (as one TD in football does...can anyone tell me why that is the case????) then NO ONE would be talking about low scoring soccer games any longer. I guess the same goes for hockey...see Adman says a three goal game is high scoring...I tend to agree, but the football folks will not because they see 21 points! Ha...go figure! Welcome to the "rational club" Adman...hope you enjoy the frustration of folks saying "low scoring" game in reference to hockey. Welcome aboard! We should never confuse folks with the facts! :lol:

I once read an article about why Americans don't embrace the most popular sport in the world, soccer. It was a ridiculous analysis, at one point claiming that Americans already have a sport with a ball and two nets... basketball. :lol:

The author then said maybe it's because it is not uncommon for soccer to end in a 0-0 tie, suggesting that Americans should grow up because sometimes in soccer, like in real life, there are no winners.

Adman is right. Hockey is fine on TV, so long as you are already a fan.

Trying to win hockey fans on TV just doesn't work. We all remember the failure that was the FoxTrax Hockey Puck.

Ever watch a game on HD? HD makes Hockey Easier to follow. Many people believe HD will save hockey on tv, that has yet to be seen mainly because they don't broadcast enough games in hd.

I love hockey and grew up in deep south Texas, don't really know how I go into it. But I agree that to truely understand it you have to see a game live. I sit nose bleed most times, I have been lucky enough recently to get decent seats, But I don't mind the AAC views in the nosebleed, I prefer the way it was at old reunion.

Edited by filmerj

Ever watch a game on HD? HD makes Hockey Easier to follow. Many people believe HD will save hockey on tv, that has yet to be seen mainly because they don't broadcast enough games in hd.

I love hockey and grew up in deep south Texas, don't really know how I go into it. But I agree that to truely understand it you have to see a game live. I sit nose bleed most times, I have been lucky enough recently to get decent seats, But I don't mind the AAC views in the nosebleed, I prefer the way it was at old reunion.

I, like you, grew up in Texas playing football, baseball and (gasp) a bit of soccer. Knew nothing of hockey except the 1980 Miracle on Ice and that a lot of eurotrash enjoyed it. Then I got to college and met a dude who liked hockey. I mocked him. Then he took me to a game. I was hooked. Even learned to skate so I could play. It's such an amazing sport and probably has the best athletes of any sport. Flame on haters.

HD Hockey ROCKS!

Soccer is about as fast paced and exciting as baseball.

Soccer's biggest problem - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much real estate. Indoor soccer is far more entertaining as a result.

...you ever sit on your back porch and watch your grass grow? Yeah, Soccer is like that. Golf is more exciting to watch for god's sakes!

From the end of Hockey Season (or basketball season, but ONLY if the Mav's are in - I don't care about b-ball otherwise) until the beginning of football season, I exist in sort of a sports neurtral zone. Nothing worth giving a crap about. OH, snap, BassMasters is on ESPN. ...and here's the Bowling tournament from 1989 on ESPN Classic. I'm all over that when my alternitive is a baseball game or GOD FORBID a soccer game.

Sports Rated in order of Importance -

1. Football

2. Hockey

3. Arena Football

4. Golf

5. Tennis

6. Baskteball

7. Girl's Softball (C'mon... some of 'em are HOT!)

8. Badmitten

9. Curling

10. Baseball

11. Syncronised Swimming

12. One Legged Speed Skating

13. Soccer

...and if anyone brings up Autoracing, I'm going to hit the wall... (Punny, huh?) Autoracing is NOT A SPORT! ...don't get me wrong. I'm a Drag-Race junkie... ...I enjoy NASCAR and Indy Car... ...but my fat-ass driving my car down the drag-strip is not a sport. It does take some level of skill to be consistant and to build the machine in the first place... ...but it isn't a sport.

yyz28....interesting points you make...don't agree, but interesting points. I think it just shows how varied folks opinions are about various sports. You fail to even mention numerous sports/games, etc. Your lists of sports in oredr of preference make me wonder what your reference is other than personal preference...AND, that's what it is all about...personal preference....me, I put soccer way up on the list..."watching grass grow" is baseball for me...along with drag racing and NASCAR, fishing, poker, etc., etc. For me, there is nothing much exciting about watching some person drive fast for 1/4 mile...big deal...I do that every day driving back to Denton from Dallas after work...and turning left all day like NASCAR...no way that's exciting...BUT, there are legions upon legions of NASCAR fans who would certainly take me to "task" for that comment. Good for them...go for it? Ever been to a callege wrestling match? Me either until I went to grad school at Okie State. Had to be "paid" to attend my first match...but did not miss one after my first! Haven't been to a match since I left Okie State, but sure would be more fun for me than a hockey game.

You like your sports/games...I like mine...that's what makes the world go around. ENJOY! So, there you have it, sports fans, tune in your favorite sport or buy a ticket and go...just make sure the beer is cold!

yyz28....interesting points you make...don't agree, but interesting points.

Well, hey... that's alright. Nobody's perfect.

I think it just shows how varied folks opinions are about various sports.

...well, you know what they say about opinions...

You fail to even mention numerous sports/games, etc.

Right, because they all rate south of Soccer which is in the basement, so... ...I should have listed "Other".

Your lists of sports in oredr of preference make me wonder what your reference is other than personal preference...AND, that's what it is all about...personal preference....

Is there anything else?

me, I put soccer way up on the list...

How can you possibly like something that the French like? Seriously.

"watching grass grow" is baseball for me...

See! We CAN agree afterall!

along with drag racing and NASCAR, fishing, poker, etc., etc. For me, there is nothing much exciting about watching some person drive fast for 1/4 mile...big deal...I do that every day driving back to Denton from Dallas after work...and turning left all day like NASCAR...no way that's exciting...

Nascar/Drag Racing is a "you've gotta be there" thing. Once you've been to an event and seen it for real, and not on TV, you'll have a differnet understanding of it. Strap your ass in a machine that goes 0-300MPH in 3.5 seconds, and you'll understand the meaning of exciting... ...but again, It isn't a sport.

BUT, there are legions upon legions of NASCAR fans who would certainly take me to "task" for that comment.

Screw 'em. See my comment about opinions.

Ever been to a callege wrestling match? Me either until I went to grad school at Okie State. Had to be "paid" to attend my first match...but did not miss one after my first! Haven't been to a match since I left Okie State, but sure would be more fun for me than a hockey game.

Yes. ...and I have to admit, I have a college degree and I like the WWE. Again, not a sport. (and nobody hit me with the comment about what good shape they are in, like the Formula One comment earlier. I didn't say these people aren't athelets, but they are engaged in an activity, not a sport...) Amature or College (Real) Wrestling and Professional (Scripted) Wrestling are totally different, but I find both of them very entertaining. Real Wrestling does qualify as a sport. Pro Wrestling qualifies as a drama.

just make sure the beer is cold!

...and that makes two things we can agree on. :)

Edited by yyz28

Sports Rated in order of Importance -

1. Football

2. Hockey

3. Arena Football

4. Golf

5. Tennis

6. Baskteball

7. Girl's Softball (C'mon... some of 'em are HOT!)

8. Badmitten

9. Curling

10. Baseball

11. Syncronised Swimming

12. One Legged Speed Skating

13. Soccer

Now this looks like fun...

1. College Basketball

2. NBA Basketball

3. Red Sox vs. Yankee games

4. All other Major League Baseball

5. College Football

6. English Premiership Soccer

7. World Cup Soccer

8. All other Soccer

9. Golf Tournaments with Tiger in contention; Ryder Cup; Presidents Cup

10. NFL Football

11. Semis and Finals of a Major Tennis tourney

12. All other Golf

13. Hockey

14. Curling -every four years I want to start a curling team

15. Darts

and now looking at this...lets go ahead and flip 2 and 3...I'd rather watch a Sox/Yanks game than even a Mavs/Spurs game

Edited by Censored by Laurie