8. All other Soccer

9. Golf Tournaments with Tiger in contention; Ryder Cup; Presidents Cup

10. NFL Football

11. Semis and Finals of a Major Tennis tourney

12. All other Golf

13. Hockey

14. Curling -every four years I want to start a curling team

15. Darts

and now looking at this...lets go ahead and flip 2 and 3...I'd rather watch a Sox/Yanks game than even a Mavs/Spurs game

Wait... I didn't see "one legged speed skating". Show some love!!!!!

HD Hockey ROCKS!

Soccer is about as fast paced and exciting as baseball.

Soccer's biggest problem - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much real estate. Indoor soccer is far more entertaining as a result.

...you ever sit on your back porch and watch your grass grow? Yeah, Soccer is like that. Golf is more exciting to watch for god's sakes!

From the end of Hockey Season (or basketball season, but ONLY if the Mav's are in - I don't care about b-ball otherwise) until the beginning of football season, I exist in sort of a sports neurtral zone. Nothing worth giving a crap about. OH, snap, BassMasters is on ESPN. ...and here's the Bowling tournament from 1989 on ESPN Classic. I'm all over that when my alternitive is a baseball game or GOD FORBID a soccer game.

Sports Rated in order of Importance -

1. Football

2. Hockey

3. Arena Football

4. Golf

5. Tennis

6. Baskteball

7. Girl's Softball (C'mon... some of 'em are HOT!)

8. Badmitten

9. Curling

10. Baseball

11. Syncronised Swimming

12. One Legged Speed Skating

13. Soccer

...and if anyone brings up Autoracing, I'm going to hit the wall... (Punny, huh?) Autoracing is NOT A SPORT! ...don't get me wrong. I'm a Drag-Race junkie... ...I enjoy NASCAR and Indy Car... ...but my fat-ass driving my car down the drag-strip is not a sport. It does take some level of skill to be consistant and to build the machine in the first place... ...but it isn't a sport.

The the Mark Twain quote says, "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"?

By you having Arena Football at #3, Baseball at #10 and Hockey before Basketball, You have removed all doubt in my eyes.

"Ain't it Great" .... Do you think this is why each sport/game has its own following?

BTW...used to do the Yellow Belly Raceway thing all the time...drove a few times too...fun to drive...boring to watch...like horse racing...1 min. of racing in between 45-1hr. of pure boredom....done some motocross in my time too...amateur stuff...not good at all...the 12 year old kids ate my lunch! For participation sports...I like skydiving! Done quite a bit of that...is it a sport? I think it is....not much of a spectator sport though I would think.

So...folks...do your lists again... One for spectator sports and one for participation sports. If yiou were participating in the event what does your list look like as opposed to if you were watching...how about one for TV watching and one for "in-person" watching?

Hey, it's not football season and a bunch of you are bored so...go for the list thing... :argue:

So...folks...do your lists again... One for spectator sports and one for participation sports. If yiou were participating in the event what does your list look like as opposed to if you were watching...how about one for TV watching and one for "in-person" watching?

Those would be VERY different lists for me.

Baseball would actually make the top 5 if I'm actually THERE vs. watching on TV. Not because I really care about the game, but enjoy the atmosphere of the ballpark.

Hockey is WAY better in person.

Football is perfect either way, though the environment of being there can't be beat...

HD Hockey ROCKS!

Soccer is about as fast paced and exciting as baseball.

Soccer's biggest problem - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much real estate. Indoor soccer is far more entertaining as a result.

I'm beginning to think you've never even seen a soccer game. The pitch (what soccer/"futbol" fields are called) is roughly the same size as an American football field. The dimensions can be a bit different depending on what part of the world/level you are playing at but they are still basically the same. (For the record American football fields are Length: 130yds X 53.5yds - soccer field dimensions are Length: minimum 100yds - maximum 130yds

Width: minimum 50yds maximum 100yds.)

How is that waaaaaaaaaaay too much real estate when it's the same as football and yet football is ok? Both teams are 11 on 11 at the same time on the same size field.

You know people like to speak with military metaphors when speaking of football. They call the QB the general, the linemen battle in the trenches as the team tries to march down the field. It's fitting I suppose but it's old warfare. It's one army lining up in a row and all shooting at the same time towards a competing army which is lined up in a row shooting their guns all at the same time. A few men fall one army advances. And so on and so on. Soccer (and hockey) on the other hand is guerrilla warfare. It's about being attacked from any angle at anytime without waiting for someone to yell "FIRE." That's exciting.

BTW - those low scoring Stars beat Chicago last night 49-28. I know you (Yzz) weren't the one who said hockey was low scoring.

Edited by adman

I'm beginning to think you've never even seen a soccer game. The pitch (what soccer/"futbol" fields are called) is roughly the same size as an American football field. The dimensions can be a bit different depending on what part of the world/level you are playing at but they are still basically the same. (For the record American football fields are Length: 130yds X 53.5yds - soccer field dimensions are Length: minimum 100yds - maximum 130yds

Width: minimum 50yds maximum 100yds.)

How is that waaaaaaaaaaay too much real estate when it's the same as football and yet football is ok? Both teams are 11 on 11 at the same time on the same size field.

Watched two Dallas Burn games at Pizza Hut Park and attended one of the World Cup games in 1996. I've been. Not particularly exciting. Being there is sort of fun, like baseball, but watching that sport on TV is awful.

Well, by your own numbers a soccer field can be 13000 square feet. a football field is 5350 sq feet. (and i don't want to hear about the extra 30 yards - endzones don't count. Goalline to goal line.)

...so a soccer field is only 2.5 times larger. Same number of players. the game moves slowly because you have to run and kick, and the rules are so non-rigid.

Soccer might have a chance in America if it were rigidly timed - this shit of going on after the "end" of the game for no reason I can figure out so far. They do this when one team already has more goals... it's not like this only happens when the game is tied.

...after x amount of time, if the other side has more points - YOU'VE LOST!!! Let it go... the Ref can't just decide "hey, let's play for a while longer"

Soccer pitches are not 2.5X the size of football fields....the laws of the game allow for some variation in size, but having been to more soccer games that I could ever count (youth, college, HS, professional, world cup, etc., etc.) I do not rcall seeing one 2.5X the size of a football field.

Will soccer (football) ever catch on in the US like American football has? Probably not. So far, as a general rule (and as this board generally supports) Americans don't get it! Does anyone here recall the North American Soccer League? Well, that was my firsat introduction to soccer...went to Owenby Stadium one day to watch my first soccer game....it was a date, and not MY selection as something to do...BUT....I went. I SWORE I would NEVER attend another soccer game in my life after getting away from that event...and it had nothing to do with my date at the time. She was the only good thing about the game!

Well, funny how things work out in life...I ended up marrying that lady...we have been married now almost 30 years...and I have become a BIG soccer fan. Kids played it, and I got involved...I have been a ref now for over 20 years...and had one son play all the way through college.

So, now you know where I come from with soccer...played a little along the way, but was a bit "old" to have much of a career as a player...that and not being very good at it!

So, in time, even the US might "come around" to the "beautiful game" and the world's most popular sport...but, probably not in my lifetime. Did you just love beer the first time you had a sip????? For most it is an "acquired" taste...thank God for that!...well, maybe soccer in America is a bit like that...also...as more and more of our youth grow up with soccer, we will definitely see more and more interest...most parents have still not played the game to any extent here in the US...that is changing...and pretty rapidly. So, don't count it out as moving into the top 3 or 4 sports in the US...baseball is losing participants from some of its historical base...you just never know.

But, give me 90 minutes of continuous action as opposed to about 10-12 min. of action in a football game and probably less than that in a 3 1/2 - 4 hr. baseball game. You buy your tickets, you watch what you like...there is plenty of room for everyone and every sport...hey, ever try luge???? fast and fun! Some folks swear by it!

But, give me 90 minutes of continuous action as opposed to about 10-12 min. of action in a football game and probably less than that in a 3 1/2 - 4 hr. baseball game. You buy your tickets, you watch what you like...there is plenty of room for everyone and every sport...hey, ever try luge???? fast and fun! Some folks swear by it!

You knew I couldn't stay quiet for long! :lol:

Soccer is about the furthest thing from "90 minutes of continuous action" that there is. Basketball would be continuous action, but not soccer.

Watched two Dallas Burn games at Pizza Hut Park and attended one of the World Cup games in 1996. I've been. Not particularly exciting. Being there is sort of fun, like baseball, but watching that sport on TV is awful.

Well, by your own numbers a soccer field can be 13000 square feet. a football field is 5350 sq feet. (and i don't want to hear about the extra 30 yards - endzones don't count. Goalline to goal line.)

...so a soccer field is only 2.5 times larger. Same number of players. the game moves slowly because you have to run and kick, and the rules are so non-rigid.

Soccer might have a chance in America if it were rigidly timed - this shit of going on after the "end" of the game for no reason I can figure out so far. They do this when one team already has more goals... it's not like this only happens when the game is tied.

...after x amount of time, if the other side has more points - YOU'VE LOST!!! Let it go... the Ref can't just decide "hey, let's play for a while longer"

Rigidly timed? It's two 45 minute halves - that's pretty rigid. The "extra" time you don't understand is called stoppage time. It's time the ref tacks on at the end of game, rarely more than 3-4 minutes, that was "lost" during the game due to players on either side being injured, issuing yellow cars etc. It's not the ref saying "Hey my team didn't win let's play longer." Pretty simple. No media timeouts. No instant replay. No team timeouts. How can you get any more rigid than that?

So if the end zones don't count as playing surface on a football field then why can a WR run along the back of them and catch balls for TD's? And do they move the goal posts up from the back of the end zone to the goal line for PT's and XP's? Since that space doesn't "count" they should.

And there are no soccer fields 2.5 times the size of a football field.

You knew I couldn't stay quiet for long! :lol:

Soccer is about the furthest thing from "90 minutes of continuous action" that there is. Basketball would be continuous action, but not soccer.

Oh but it is continuous action as you can't stop the clock. No timeouts in soccer. basketball seems to have 15 per team. Lose the momentum in soccer and it could be lights out. Lose it in basketball and just call a timeout. I think that's what he means.

Oh but it is continuous action as you can't stop the clock. No timeouts in soccer. basketball seems to have 15 per team. Lose the momentum in soccer and it could be lights out. Lose it in basketball and just call a timeout. I think that's what he means.

Well, if jogging up and down a field kicking a ball qualifies as "continuous action," then so be it.

Well, if jogging up and down a field kicking a ball qualifies as "continuous action," then so be it.

As opposed to jogging up and down a court dribbling a ball with your hand then grabbing some pine and catching a breather during the TV timeout?

Rigidly timed? It's two 45 minute halves - that's pretty rigid. The "extra" time you don't understand is called stoppage time. It's time the ref tacks on at the end of game, rarely more than 3-4 minutes, that was "lost" during the game due to players on either side being injured, issuing yellow cars etc. It's not the ref saying "Hey my team didn't win let's play longer." Pretty simple. No media timeouts. No instant replay. No team timeouts. How can you get any more rigid than that?

So if the end zones don't count as playing surface on a football field then why can a WR run along the back of them and catch balls for TD's? And do they move the goal posts up from the back of the end zone to the goal line for PT's and XP's? Since that space doesn't "count" they should.

And there are no soccer fields 2.5 times the size of a football field.

---Soccer does not have one standard size... just as baseball fields don't either. There are guidelines and the maximum is 100 yds by 150 yds. (15,000 sq yards). A football field is 120 yards (includes endzones) by 53.33 yards which is 6400 sq yards. The original post can be pretty much correct on size.. your comment is wrong on that. However I have no idea where he gets the 30 yard comment... Canadian football??? He measurement are wacko... it is sqaure yards not feet and they are even wrong. A football field is 160 feet wide or 53.33 yards.

---I have played soccer and it a fun game to play and great exercise, but as a spectator sport... nothing is close to good old American football.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66