Larry Mac Duff Will Be Nt's Next Dc

SouthBendGreen

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GrayEagleOne

It seems like a great hire, if true. He's certainly got the skins but he has had a few bad seasons also. In his years at Arizona he had a season where he only gave up 118 points in 12 games but also had a season where he gave up 377 in 11 games (of course, if we'd only give up 377 last season we might have won five or six games).

MacDuff had several seasons at Arizona where he gave up less points than DeLoach's season at North Texas. Since I have serious doubts that we could get DeLoach back, I'd be very happy with the hiring of Larry MacDuff.

In a release from Texas, head coach Mack Brown said that Mac Duff's resignation was due to "philosophical differences":

My sources say the main philosophical difference was that Brown embraced Wittgenstein's contention that our beliefs about the "causes" of phenomena are merely hypotheses, which may indeed be valid based upon our experiences, but in any event are not to be confused with the "reasons" for our actions, which are separate from causes; while MacDuff held out for Schopenhauer's position that "motivation [i.e., reason] is causality seen from within" and that "motivation [is only] causality passing through knowledge."

MacDuff correctly perceived that Brown was, at heart, attacking the foundation of scientific positivism, even venturing into anti-physicalism. Given such a chasm between HC and DC regarding probabilistic causality, a parting seemed inevitable.

And also, the D didn't do so well against the pass.

Since I'm so close to the program, and therefore looking at it (sometimes) with blinders on, I like to bounce these situations off my wife to get her very logical take on it.

I told her that Mendoza had been fired and the reasons why. I then told her that everyone at GMG is excited about a rumor that a former DC at Texas was the hot prospect to replace Mendoza. She asked why the DC was leaving Texas. When I told her it was because the Texas defense had given up entirely too many points, she just smiled and said.

"So North Texas is getting rid of their old american-made car, that has lots of engine problems, so that they can buy a Mercedes with engine problems?"

Hmmm, I'm afraid that I have to agree with her on this.

Jack, I hope that you are mistaken about DeLoach. I much prefer him as our next DC...........OR THE NEXT UP-AND-COMING YOUNG COLLEGE DC.

Edited by SilverEagle

Since I'm so close to the program, and therefore looking at it (sometimes) with blinders on, I like to bounce these situations off my wife to get her very logical take on it.

I told her that Mendoza had been fired and the reasons why. I then told her that everyone at GMG is excited about a rumor that a former DC at Texas was the hot prospect to replace Mendoza. She asked why the DC was leaving Texas. When I told her it was because the Texas defense had given up entirely too many points, she just smiled and said.

"So North Texas is getting rid of their old american-made car, that has lots of engine problems, so that they can buy a Mercedes with engine problems?"

Jack, I hope that you are mistaken about DeLoach. I much prefer him as our next DC...........OR THE NEXT UP-AND-COMING YOUNG COLLEGE DC.

I am out on the up and comer, because for years we heard that Ramon Flannigan was the young up and coming Offensive Coordinator.

I am out on the up and comer, because for years we heard that Ramon Flannigan was the young up and coming Offensive Coordinator.

Yeah, but there weren't any numbers to go with that contention. We never questioned that statement (made by DD), partly because RF was a coach of color.

One example of what I'm talking about is someone who's defense was consistently kick-ass in the 1-AA ranks.

Similar to this guy.

http://www.goasu.com/football/coach/48/

Or the guy that shut down the high powered WTA&M offense.

http://www.nwmissouri.edu/sports/football/...ff.htm#bostwick

..Or the DC for the national D-2 champs, Valdosta State.

http://www.vstateblazers.com/staff-profile.php?staff_id=6

Edited by SilverEagle

If MacDuff couldn't coach defense with the 4-star athletes Texas has, how is he going to do with the 1-and-2 star Darrell Dickey retreads we're going to be rolling out next season? I'd rather have a coach on his way up than someone who has already been to the top of the mountain and proven they can't handle the altitude.

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

Just an observation, random thought: Do we have the whitest coaching staff in college football now?

Will that lack of diversity hurt us in some ways?

Couldn't help but think the same thing. It's a legitimate question. :(

However, the guy does have experience. I definitely can live with that.

Edited by Got5onIt

The Texas defense allowed 371.2 yards per game this year, the seventh-worst total in school history.

Mac Duff earned $300,000 this season.

Brown was going to make some sort of change in terms of the defense this offseason - therefore, this guy may have seen a little bit of the "writing on the wall" and decided to move on, knowing that he could. But, Patrick does have connections so I think there could be something to do this story. Brown has been a supporter of Dodge, and he may be trying to help Dodge out a little on this - the guy does have experience and I do like that. I can tell you that DeLoach is going to interview with Dodge, probably at the coach's meetings (whatever or whenever they are - maybe this weekend?) unless Dodge decided against it. The fact that the UT defense was poor this year, doesn't excite me a whole lot, but we are not in the Big 12 either, and he does have much, much experience, and I do like that. I would rather have DeLoach, but he still has a year on his contract, and UCLA may still want him. Either one though I would take, and both have enough coaching experience to get Butch back if he wants to reconsider.

Just an observation, random thought: Do we have the whitest coaching staff in college football now?

Will that lack of diversity hurt us in some ways?

Barry Switzer was one of the best recruiters of all time.....of both white and black players. A good recruiter is a good recruiter.

I've thought about this for a long time, and I guess that this is as good a place as any to bring it up.

The Black community is just as congnizant of "bottom line" issues in making life decisions as the white community.

Black parents certainly want their children to go to a college where their children are comfortable (culture-wise and other wise), but they also want their children to be equipped to succeed in life after they quit playing football. THAT is their main decision making process......not color.

If blind loyalty to color was the black community's only decision making factor, then why aren't Grambling State, Southern U., Texas Southern and all the other traditionally black schools nationally ranked powers every year?

North Texas was the first Texas state D-1 school to offer black players scholarships. But out of blind loyalty, did that make us the first choice of all black athletes in the state of Texas after that? Hell no!

To say (or imply) that an all-white coaching staff would be a detriment to recruiting in the black community is an insult to the intelligence and decision making ability of the black community.

My sources say the main philosophical difference was that Brown embraced Wittgenstein's contention that our beliefs about the "causes" of phenomena are merely hypotheses, which may indeed be valid based upon our experiences, but in any event are not to be confused with the "reasons" for our actions, which are separate from causes; while MacDuff held out for Schopenhauer's position that "motivation [i.e., reason] is causality seen from within" and that "motivation [is only] causality passing through knowledge."

MacDuff correctly perceived that Brown was, at heart, attacking the foundation of scientific positivism, even venturing into anti-physicalism. Given such a chasm between HC and DC regarding probabilistic causality, a parting seemed inevitable.

And also, the D didn't do so well against the pass.

I'm just venturing the guess that this post went right over the head of most on here and thus did not get the love it deserves...well played sir.

Story about MacDuff leaving UT dated 1/2/08. TD announces that Mendoza is put out to pasture on 1/4/08. Info also surfaces that MacDuff could be the new DC at NT on 1/4/08. :unsure:

Playing the old conspiracy theory theme....... Could this actually be a MacDuff pickup before the Mendoza departure is announced ? Does TD's past ties with UT come into play ? If true,This seems to have gone kinda boom-boom, quick-quick. :unsure:

I'm always surprised by the amount of fans that think college football exists in a vacuum. People on this board complained all season about our miserable D. They kept questioning Dodge's commitment to improving it. People called for Mendoza's head never once considering: 1. The man had a contract that you have to pay regardless of if he is coaching or not. (Something NT can't really afford to do.) 2. It would be bad form and damage Dodge's credibility if he cut his DC loose (check out those mad spelling skills) mid season just because things weren't going well. It would make Dodge look like a flip flopper. It's not as though Dodge woke up at the end of the season and said to himself; "You know Ron just isn't cutting it." Of course he was aware of it all season. Of course he worked from the inside to make things better. But like any good manager he's going to have contingent plans. This is it. No conspiracy. Knowing he's going to have to let RM go you know Dodge is going to have a short list of whom he'd like.

The American car looked good in performance tests, but when it was put into production it performed poorly. The old mercedes has sputtered a bit, but has been running in tip top shape for many years of its life. The American car has never performed, while the Mercedes has.

Edited by Zeke

The American car looked good in performance tests, but when it was put into production it performed poorly. The old mercedes has sputtered a bit, but has been running in tip top shape for many years of its life. The American car has never performed, while the Mercedes has.

....until it starts sputtering again, and then the parts and labor to fix it are MUCH higher than an American made car.

....until it starts sputtering again, and then the parts and labor to fix it are MUCH higher than an American made car.

The American made car was a lemon...........it wasn't going to be fixed. We are going to have to buy a used car I am afraid and take out chances.

Edited by Zeke