Larry Mac Duff Will Be Nt's Next Dc

SouthBendGreen

Hello Mean Green Nation,

I actually get a chance to break news. I just got an email from a source in Austin who told me that Larry Mac Duff will be the next defensive coordinator at North Texas. My source is VERY reliable.

Don't know much about him, but seems like a good hire.

Patrick

BTW, I hope someone else hasn't posted this. I just wanted to get it on here as quickly as possible.

Edited by SouthBendGreen

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Mean Green Nation,

I actually get a chance to break news. I just got an email from a source in Austin who told me that Larry Mac Duff will be the next defensive coordinator at North Texas. My source is VERY reliable.

Don't know much about him, but seems like a good hire.

Patrick

BTW, I hope someone else hasn't posted this. I just wanted to get it on here as quickly as possible.

If this is true here's a link to the UT football web site on MacDuff leaving UT after one year and his coaching background

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/ind...hange_well_id=2

This article from Scout.com

Texas linebackers coach and co-defensive coordinator Larry Mac Duff resigned on Wednesday after only one season in Austin.

In a release from Texas, Mac Duff said:

"I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of The University of Texas football program. I have enjoyed not only working with the linebackers, but my association with the entire football team and staff. The linebackers are a great group of young men and their future is bright. At this time, I'm going to pursue some other professional opportunities. I want to wish The University of Texas team the best in 2008."

Mac Duff's defense finished near the top in stopping the run, giving up just 93.4 yards per game on the ground (No. 8, nationally), but his defense also finished near the bottom in stopping the pass, giving up 277.8 yards per game (No. 109, nationally). The linebackers, in particular, were the most criticized unit on the defense and Mac Duff received much of the blame.

In a release from Texas, head coach Mack Brown said that Mac Duff's resignation was due to "philosophical differences":

"Larry and I met this morning and he informed me that he is not returning for the 2008 season, sighting philosophical differences. Larry is a great coach and man and we appreciate all he's done for our program. We want to wish him luck in the future and will begin looking for a replacement immediately."

Mac Duff, a 36-year coaching veteran, came to Texas after spending the previous four seasons as special teams coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers. He joined the 49ers after his second stint at Arizona where he served as the Wildcats' defensive coordinator in 2001-02. Prior to his second stop in Tucson, Mac Duff spent four seasons as the special teams coach for the New York Giants from 1997-2000.

In his first at Arizona, Mac Duff joined the Wildcat staff after spending three seasons at Hawai'i (1984-86) and four at Stanford (1980-83)

Meet Larry Mac Duff Video

Larry Mac Duff, a 36-year coaching veteran who has coordinated successful defenses and special teams units at both the collegiate and NFL levels, joined the Texas staff in 2006 as an assistant head coach and co-defensive coordinator.

While on the collegiate level, Mac Duff helped mentor a Nagurski Trophy winner, an Outland Trophy winner, a Thorpe Award winner, a Lombardi Award finalist, five Pac-10 Defensive Players of the Year and an NCAA sack champion.

Mac Duff came to Texas after spending the previous four seasons as special teams coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers.

Under Mac Duff, the 49ers special teams units performed and placed favorably in several team categories, including Top Four rankings in kickoff coverage and kickoff returns. Meanwhile, PK Joe Nedney was one of the top kickers in the league under Mac Duff, connecting on 29-of-35 field goals in 2006 after making 26-of-28 in 2005. Punter Andy Lee's 44.8 yard average in 2006 was the best by a 49er punter in over 40 years.

Mac Duff joined the 49ers after his second stint at Arizona where he served as the Wildcats' defensive coordinator for the 2001 and '02 seasons.

Prior to his second stop in Tucson, Mac Duff spent four seasons as the special teams coach for the New York Giants from 1997-00. Under Mac Duff, the Giants led the NFL in field goal defense in 1999 and 2000 and paced the NFC in punt returns in 1999. KR Ron Dixon became the first player in NFL history to return two postseason kickoffs for touchdowns during the Giants Super Bowl run in 2000. The Giants went on to capture two NFC East Championships in Mac Duff 's tenure.

Mac Duff 's first stop in Arizona set defensive standards in the early 1990's. The Wildcats' 'Desert Swarm' unit led the nation in scoring defense in 1992, allowing only 8.9 points per game, and finished second in total defense. The impressive display was repeated in 1993 when the Wildcats led the nation in rushing defense while allowing a conference-record 30.1 yards per game. Mac Duff 's success continued as his 1994 defense finished in the top 10 nationally and second in rushing defense. In 1995, the Wildcats finished the season ranked No. 7 in total defense. Mac Duff was named Athlon Magazine's National Assistant Coach of the Year for his efforts.

Mac Duff 's defenses produced a number of high profile players including two 1989 first-round NFL picks in tackle Anthony Smith and linebacker Chris Singleton, Thorpe Award winner Darryll Lewis in 1990, Outland Trophy and Nagurski award winner Rob Waldrop in 1993, and Lombardi Award finalist and NCAA sack champion Tedy Bruschi in 1994 and 1995. Five Wildcats were named Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year during his tenure, including Bruschi in 1995, Waldrop in 1993, Lewis in 1990, Dana Wells in 1988 and Chuck Cecil in 1987. Linebacker Sean Harris was a two-time first-team all-league selection in 1993 and 1994 as was strong safety Brandon Sanders in 1994 and 1995.

In 1984, Mac Duff joined Dick Tomey's staff at Hawaii as the defensive line coach and special teams coordinator. He coached the Rainbows' first Division I first-team All-American, tackle Al Noga. Mac Duff joined Tomey at Arizona in 1987, when Tomey was offered the head coaching position for the Wildcats.

Mac Duff entered coaching as the outside linebackers coach at Fullerton Junior College under Hal Sherbeck in 1970, was line coach and defensive coordinator at Sunny Hills High School from 1971-73 and returned as defensive coordinator for Sherbeck from 1974-79 at Fullerton J.C. He moved into Division I-A football as defensive line coach for Paul Wiggin at Stanford from 1980-81 and 1983 and was Wiggin's defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach in 1982.

Mac Duff was a two-time allconference linebacker and standout baseball player at Fullerton, Calif.'s Sunny Hills High School from 1964-65 and a two-time all-conference defensive end at Fullerton Junior College from 1966-67. Fullerton won the national JUCO title in his last year with a 12-0 record when Mac Duff earned All-America honors. He moved on to play linebacker under Chuck Fairbanks at Oklahoma from 1968-69. He graduated with a degree in physical education in 1970 and later earned a master's degree in physical education from Cal-State Fullerton in 1972.

Born in Clinton, Iowa, Mac Duff and his wife, Barbie, have one son, Justin.

The Larry Mac Duff File

Hometown: Clinton, Iowa

High school: Sunny Hills (Fullerton, Calif.)

College: Oklahoma (1970)

Graduate degree: Cal State Fullerton (1972)

Year in coaching: 37th

Wife: Barbie

Children: Justin

COACHING ASSIGNMENTS

2007-: Asst. Head Coach/Co-Defensive Coordinator/LBs, Texas

2003-06: Special Teams Coordinator, San Francisco 49ers

2001-02: Defensive Coordinator, Arizona

1997-2000: Special Teams Coach, New York Giants

1987-96: Defensive Coordinator/LBs, Arizona

1984-86: Defensive Line/Special Teams Coordinator, Hawaii

1983: Defensive Line, Stanford

1982: Defensive Coordinator/ILBs, Stanford

1980-81: Defensive Line, Stanford

1974-79: Defensive Coordinator, Fullerton Junior College

1971-73: Defensive Coordinator/DL, Sunny Hills (Calif.) H.S.

1970: Outside Linebckers, Fullerton Junior College

COLLEGE BOWL EXPERIENCE

1994: Freedom Bowl, Arizona

1994: Fiesta Bowl, Arizona

1992: Hancock Bowl, Arizona

1990: Aloha Bowl, Arizona

1989: Copper Bowl, Arizona

1968: Bluebonnet Bowl, Oklahoma*

*as a player

Spring drills: Larry Mac Duff

He is resigning sighting philosophical differences. Which I'm taking to mean this: I had been hearing rumblings all year about how UT was playing there more veteran LB's and not there younger standout LB's. I'm taking it as MacDuff wanted to play the younger guys but Mack favored the vets. Mack being the coach won out. This would be a HUGE pick up for NT if it happened. A coach with NFL, and major D-1 experience, founder of the Desert Swarm in Arizona.

He is resigning sighting philosophical differences. Which I'm taking to mean this: I had been hearing rumblings all year about how UT was playing there more veteran LB's and not there younger standout LB's. I'm taking it as MacDuff wanted to play the younger guys but Mack favored the vets. Mack being the coach won out. This would be a HUGE pick up for NT if it happened. A coach with NFL, and major D-1 experience, founder of the Desert Swarm in Arizona.

"Philosophical Differences" - I take that to mean that he actually wanted to coach and not just spit and clap and adjust his headset like Mack does.

Seriously, I thought at least one of those young LB's probably wasn't starting due to an arrest last offseason - Sergio Kindle. I could be wrong though.

Umm, well - he would be the absolute perfect fit. In fact, maybe they will make him the Assistant Head Coach along with Dodge. We got killed in special teams and that is his fortay. We need a D-Coordinator.... he is absolutely the PERFECT fit for our needs if this turns out to be true. OMG - I have never doubted Dodge or RV; but this would be an INCREDIBLE hire. INCREDIBLE. Maybe they will just take Butch's pay and combine it with Mendoza's pay and give it all to this guy so that we can give him a respectable salary. Please let it be true! PLEASE!

Dodge has serious UT ties... this makes sense.

Story about MacDuff leaving UT dated 1/2/08. TD announces that Mendoza is put out to pasture on 1/4/08. Info also surfaces that MacDuff could be the new DC at NT on 1/4/08. :unsure:

Playing the old conspiracy theory theme....... Could this actually be a MacDuff pickup before the Mendoza departure is announced ? Does TD's past ties with UT come into play ? If true,This seems to have gone kinda boom-boom, quick-quick. :unsure: