I Gotta Wonder About The Tre Newton Rumors

emmitt01

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tre will never come to NT. Nate said he would not entertain NT as an option. I don't think he will ever admit NT is probably a better option for him. We will have to wait to see how he does at UT but trust me he will go. No inside information here just a gut feeling and if I'm wrong...shut up.

Don't be so sure of that, Nate told my buddy a different story about 6 weeks ago.

I for one don't get the whole Tre Newton love fest. I feel like he gets hyped more for being Nates son than for anything else. Granted I haven't seen a ton of SLC games but the ones I have seen I thought Riley actually ran the ball better than Tre. Those games may have been the exception. I certainly don't think he's at the level J-Mo was when he came in as a Freshman. I also find it puzzling that many people on this board bash players we are recruiting that have 4.6 speed as being too slow yet are gay for Tre who by the way also has 4.6 speed.

(Any of you kids that hang with Tina are free to use "Gay For Tre" as your own.

Yah I guess he is just the run of the mill RB....his career (3 yrs ) stats were a meager 595 rushes for 4, 636 yds and 49 TD's 46 receptions for 629 yds and another 5 TD/s. He knows the TD system. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HIM...Oh...it is my understanding early on that NT would try and sign one RB...don't know if that has changed or not.

Yah I guess he is just the run of the mill RB....his career (3 yrs ) stats were a meager 595 rushes for 4, 636 yds and 49 TD's 46 receptions for 629 yds and another 5 TD/s. He knows the TD system. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HIM...Oh...it is my understanding early on that NT would try and sign one RB...don't know if that has changed or not.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”

Henry Clay

I for one don't get the whole Tre Newton love fest. I feel like he gets hyped more for being Nates son than for anything else. Granted I haven't seen a ton of SLC games but the ones I have seen I thought Riley actually ran the ball better than Tre.

First off, not many, if any, come in at the level J-Mo did as a freshman.

Two, did you watch the state title game last year and the run Newton had were every kid on the opposing team had a shot at him?

First off, not many, if any, come in at the level J-Mo did as a freshman.

That's sort of my point, Lifer. J-Mo came in without any real hoopla. I do remember MediPilot writing something about him during two-a-days his Freshman year and how one of his runs in practice made him "look like something special." Other that not much was spoken about him until after the Colorado game. (Deservedly so.) But many on this board are absolutely gaga for Newton and his 4.6 speed and yet, as I mentioned in an earlier post, scorn other recruits with the same 4.6 speed.

Two, did you watch the state title game last year and the run Newton had were every kid on the opposing team had a shot at him?

I did. I also saw Danny Meager throw for 600 yds once.

I'm not saying the kid is a scrub. He's not. I just think it's funny how so many have such a priapismic hard-on for him.

Edited by adman

I would say J-Mo came in with a lot of pub considering his state ranking and the other higher profile teams that were recruiting him. I think he was only rated behind Peterson that signed with OU in the state of Texas.

You don't roll up the kind of career stats that Newton has and be recruited by the programs he has without having some talent. The young man would be a welcome addition here, but I am just as excited about Mosely's future and the verbal of Dunbar. I understand your point too, but when has NT ever been in contention for some of the ballplayers Dodge has received verbals from?

We are getting recruits that are being targeted by SEC and Big XII schools.

I would say J-Mo came in with a lot of pub considering his state ranking and the other higher profile teams that were recruiting him. I think he was only rated behind Peterson that signed with OU in the state of Texas.

You don't roll up the kind of career stats that Newton has and be recruited by the programs he has without having some talent. The young man would be a welcome addition here, but I am just as excited about Mosely's future and the verbal of Dunbar. I understand your point too, but when has NT ever been in contention for some of the ballplayers Dodge has received verbals from?

We are getting recruits that are being targeted by SEC and Big XII schools.

Let me be clear. I think the kid has some talent. A step above average perhaps but he doesn't make me tingly down there.

I agree Dodge is getting some nice verbals. Tre ain't one though - He's a Texas recruit. (But again hats off to Dodge and staff.) And as far as Texas recruiting Newton, and this is just me thinking aloud, but when you are a program as big as Texas with as much depth as Texas do you recruit a few kids who in your opinion are good but maybe not "Texas starting good" just to keep them off the rosters of other teams and to keep a pipeline open at a school that turns out some solid players? Just wondering.

I'd have to question what you call "hoopla." J-Mo was THE MOST heralded recruit we've landed since I've been following the program (12 years).

Maybe my memory fades but I just don't recall this board humping his leg the way many are Newtons - and Tre isn't even a recruit.

Maybe my memory fades but I just don't recall this board humping his leg the way many are Newtons - and Tre isn't even a recruit.

You also have to remember that when J-Mo was recruited we didnt know about it until signing day or maybe a couple of days before. We didn't have the luxury of talking about it for months before hand.

I can also tell you that before the spring game when Dickey would meet with those interested and show them the recruiting tapes of recruits, i can remember him telling us that he didnt want to show us J-Mo's tape becuase it was scarry good, and he was 115% right. Watching that highlight tape there was no doubt that we had the talent to be GREAT and when healthy he WAS.

You also have to remember that when J-Mo was recruited we didnt know about it until signing day or maybe a couple of days before. We didn't have the luxury of talking about it for months before hand.

I can also tell you that before the spring game when Dickey would meet with those interested and show them the recruiting tapes of recruits, i can remember him telling us that he didnt want to show us J-Mo's tape becuase it was scarry good, and he was 115% right. Watching that highlight tape there was no doubt that we had the talent to be GREAT and when healthy he WAS.

It's too bad that Todge didn't continue DD's tradition of showing player highlight reels at the AC. That was a fun event that should be continued. If Todge did do it, I wasn't aware of it, correct me if I'm wrong.

It's too bad that Todge didn't continue DD's tradition of showing player highlight reels at the AC. That was a fun event that should be continued. If Todge did do it, I wasn't aware of it, correct me if I'm wrong.

Dodge did it, but did it on Signing day or the day after (cant remember) instead of before the spring game

• 1 year later...

Take a look at this year's recruiting class for UT:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/result.asp

That's two 4* running backs and another 3* in addition to Newton. Add these guys to a backfield that already includes Foswhitt Whitaker and Cody Johnson (two 4* from last recruiting class), a 3* and a 4* from the '06 class and Chris Ogbonnaya who will be a senior.

Tell me, again, why kids enjoy sitting in these log jams at schools like UT.

easy. They may have a chance to play for a national championship. And when being recruited, none knew they would not start. But what competitor would not risk a lot to play for a national championship?

On top of the many reasons already stated by other posters in this topic the main reason why Tre didn't come to NT is because UT is just a flat out high profile school in football. I don't see the big deal in kids making these decisions. That is why the college football powerhouses are generally good because they have very top level talent from top to bottom. If I am an 18 year old kid with talent then there really is no advantage going to UNT over UT. Roy Williams said it himself last year with the Musers that he prefers the overall life of being a football player at UT than in the NFL. There's a reason why these kids don't consider schools like UNT when they have far superior programs from top to bottom and schools that are high profile.

On top of the many reasons already stated by other posters in this topic the main reason why Tre didn't come to NT is because UT is just a flat out high profile school in football. I don't see the big deal in kids making these decisions. That is why the college football powerhouses are generally good because they have very top level talent from top to bottom. If I am an 18 year old kid with talent then there really is no advantage going to UNT over UT. Roy Williams said it himself last year with the Musers that he prefers the overall life of being a football player at UT than in the NFL. There's a reason why these kids don't consider schools like UNT when they have far superior programs from top to bottom and schools that are high profile.

Selling them some early PT is the best we can offer. You can only hope that you catch them out of high school before they have really experienced what the "overall football" life would be at UT.

Then again, there are always the Stradfords and William Coles of the world.

Texas just named RS Freshman Tre Newton as their starting running back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4492932

In fairness, going into the ULM game Newton wasn't even on the 3-deep. Without the injury bug, you would be watching the Fozzy and Vondrell show. A bit of luck is why Tre saw the field, not because these posters were necessarily wrong.

The same thing could happen with Vizza down at ATM. If a couple qbs get banged up, there ya go. Can anyone honestly say before the season started that there was a snowball's chance we would see Tune start a game?

We just don't have the payroll system setup like UT and OU has. And then there is the thing about those "tutors" who go to class for them...

I took a couple of "ahtlete" classes while at NT. We probably dont need to be throwing the first stone when it comes to setting up an easy path to graduation. Just sayin.

In fairness, going into the ULM game Newton wasn't even on the 3-deep. Without the injury bug, you would be watching the Fozzy and Vondrell show. A bit of luck is why Tre saw the field, not because these posters were necessarily wrong.

The same thing could happen with Vizza down at ATM. If a couple qbs get banged up, there ya go. Can anyone honestly say before the season started that there was a snowball's chance we would see Tune start a game?

Nah... Don't think so buddy.