Loss To Uta

Mad Hatter

OK - The game's over. We just lost to UTA.............that stings.

Collin Dennis being out is an obvious problem but we'll get him back.

Are we not as good as we thought???

Is UTA that good?

Is it the crappy stage that they played on???? (shouldn't there be a rule about where you play?)

Did we just have an off night shooting? (Stage induced?)

Any chance UTA wins if we're at the Pit?

How did the whole game only last an hour and a half?

Was it a full moon?

Is this Bizarro World?

Up is down. Black is white.

Dogs and cats, living together!

UTA still sucks. The whole campus smells like a broken sewer... but I think that just applies to all of Arlington.

The press defense that UTA played got to your young guards, quick hands tipped the ball countless times when it got to your bigs .... the top of the key was wide open all night, dont know if your coach noticed or not, but if you spot a guy in there (who can make it) and it forces UTA to change some things around ...

UNT's chance at taking the game was the 1st half when Griffin was in foul trouble, the opportunity was missed and UTA capitalized

UTA is a good team, and proved to be a better team thatn UNT tonight, that simple .... I think the way that game was played and the amount of UNT fans in there, it would be pretty close no matter where it was played ....

Just two good teams going at it .... what makes me mad is that there was NO coverage by the local stations or newspapers ... both of our squads deserve more coverage than they get ...

UTA is pretty good.

The Stage is a tough place to play.

We couldn't throw it in the ocean from 3 point range for most of the game.

With five minutes remaining, we thought it was going to be an old fashioned butt kicking 20 point plus blowout, but UNT showed lots of heart to come back and make a close game of it at the end. Overall, it was a good defensive game, but I felt our guard play was better, and dare I say it - we had better depth.

Wish we could play UNT every year, but we understand Mr Jones needs more cupcakes on his schedule. :D

Good luck the rest of the year. Go Mavs!

I think this is the definition of a trap game. Coming off a big win and looking ahead to other things. Their press probably did get to our guards a bit, but there was no movement at all out there whether it was the press break or trying to get anything going at all against their zone. . White didn't look bad but Willingham seems to look like a deer in the headlights. Ben Bell seemed out of it tonight too. Tristan Thompson was a great spark off the bench along with Kedrick Hogans (where did he come from?). I see our problems on the press as a result of 2 things:

1. Our bigs being lazy with the ball on inbounds plays - how many times did one of our 4's or 5's grab the ball and take it out only to make a quick throw in to a streaking UTA guard? Part of that is guards with a nose for the ball, but you have to be careful when you're inbounding under your own basket like that as those are often guaranteed points or free throws.

2. We did not play tough at all tonight - we have some guys who can be tough, but we were beaten by a team tonight that was not better than us, but wanted it more. I don't know any other way to explain 6'5 250(more like 265-270) pound centers beating our guys down the court for acrobatic catches and up-and-under layups?

People will say, "this is the best thing that could happen to us, it will get our head out of the clouds." How many times does a team have to go through that? How many times in recent years have we played a game like this? Far too many for me.

Edited by TallGreen06

It was really bugging me how some of the members here were talking trash about this game and UTA. It'll be some time before I think NT is in a position to talk major trash and call other programs cupcakes.

That's becaue the people doing the most trash talking have never seen us play on the stage before. I have, and I knew better. Just like you'll never see me predict a win over ULM at Malone Stadium in Monroe. We've never played well there and never will, either. Even our best teams who have managed wins in Malone eeked out wins by the skins of our teeth. The Stage is no different. For those who have never been there it's freaky weird. One side, the West side, is lit up very well and is about the size of a junior high school Gymnasium, the ones where they slide the wooden bleachers in and out for whatever event. Only these at the Stage are permanant aluminum. Then the ceiling is very low and extremely bright. However, on the other side, the East side is the seating to the theater and it's dark. Then behind the baskets, The North and South sides you have a permanant wall on the North and a curtain on the south, both located very tightly right behind the baskets, just like that old junior high gym. So you'll always have an off balance to the lighting, depending on where your shooting from and a tight ceiling and end wall obstructions behind the basket. To me it would be similar to playing basketball on the deck of an air craft carrier near the flight elevators at night time. Throw the ball or for that matter, chase the ball in three directions(North, South and West) and you and the ball will remain. But throw it or run too far for it East and you both vanish into darkness. My suggestion to coach Jones the next time we play there would be to spend the previous day having a practice round in Ponder High School's tiny gym in order to get a feel of having the walls tightl around you, or simulate it at the PEB some how. Y'all know how good Dieon Hunter and Tony Worrell were but even their teams had absolute hell shooting well on the Stage.

Rick

It is a very disappointing loss now. But honestly, how many of us cared much about the last year's UTA game come March? The Mavs don't define our season. Beat Western New Mexico and NMSU, and it will be well in the rearview. Beat Texas and we won't even remember the UTA game.

All our goals are still in front of us.