Uta Game In Arlington

OldTimer

You should. After beating OSU, you should be very optimistic.

I smell a Lou Holtz "woe is me" sandbagging. ;) It'll be a struggle - we usually get your best effort. It'll be a major disappointment if the Mavs pull thru though. However, I think us losing to you last year was the best thing that could've ever happened to us. KD going bezerk and messing up his hand made the rest of the guys grow up.

So who knows.

Edited by CMJ

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny how some of you posters have no problem treating UTA as nothing more than a rotten step child , but the moment someone from SMU says something negative about our school we get all bend out of shape and say how arrogant they are.

UTA has a very good BB program right now. I think we will win , but it shouldnt come as a shock if the Mavs pull it out again.

I concur. UTA didn't have as talented a team as North Texas (at least during the rest of the season), but they put together an excellent gameplan that caught an ill-prepared North Texas off guard. UTA pounded the ball inside drawing many penalties against the Green. By the end of the game UTA held an advantage of something like 30 free throws to 7 and was able to claim victory after the disputed last second shot. Hats off to UTA, they planned well, played well, and they won. I think their coach did an outstanding job (even though I miss the antics of Mr. UTA himself, Bob “Snake” LeGrand)

Actually the legislature passed the school name change to "Texas A&M-Arlington" but it never took effect after protests by the the all-male version in College Station and the students in Arlington. Instead they created two UTs... El Paso and Arlington instead of an additonal UT and A&M as had been planned... It was done so they could dip into the University lands fund... the baby-boom was hitting and money was needed for expansion everywhere....

Your account has bits of accuracy, but, with all due respect, it doesn't capture the essence and what happened. For the history buffs, I paste in what I once wrote on utamavericks.com

Earl Rudder, president and chancellor at A&M was a great man and patriot. He led the charge up the cliffs at Normandy in World War II. He was a tough figure who made tough decisions. The tradition-bound Aggies were loath to admit women in the 1960s, but they were suffering and had low enrollment. Just like "only Nixon could go to China," only Rudder - or a person of his stature - could get stubborn A&M to admit girls. The Aggies ran-off the previous president/chancellor for wanting to admit girls. Well, that "revolutionary" decision to become co-ed launched an era of growth for Texas A&M. There is a statue of Earl Rudder on the campus today.

HOWEVER, Rudder's great blunder - quietly acknowledged and regretted by A&M in later years - was to let Arlington State to leave their system. When the Arlington delegation was sitting in Governor John Connally's office to press their case for leaving A&M for UT, the governor could not believe it. Right in front of the delegation, he picked up the phone and called Earl Rudder, who confirmed for the governor that he wasn't doing anything for the Arlington campus, and they could go. Rudder was completely preoccupied with the problems in College Station. Well, that was that, and Governor Connally signed the bill in 1965 moving Arlington State. The name was changed to The University of Texas at Arlington in 1967. When you read the history of the A&M System on their system website, they omit the fact that Arlington State, in their system for almost 50 years, was once in and left. It's not something they can brag about; it was dumb. So, A&M lost a major educational and economic (and political) presence in North Texas, and now their system is made-up of A&M and the seven dwarfs. Since then UT Arlington prospered and is now on a trajectory of becoming a major research university, having done $40 million in research in 2006 and with the goal of reaching $100 million in about a decade. In fact, ground will be broken in 2008 on about $170 million of new engineering and science research facilities. UT Arlington has become indispensable to the region and state.

Your account has bits of accuracy, but, with all due respect, it doesn't capture the essence and what happened. For the history buffs, I paste in what I once wrote on utamavericks.com.........

Thanks for the history lesson GoUTA, but I can also realize how so many people have trouble understanding what's written on your website.

BANNER.jpg

hint: it would be easier if it were written in English.

:lol:

What utter BS. Obviously the only truth is that you have not been there since you got fired.

No I was not fired. Actually I was building a CPA practice on the side and when it really got going I had to quit teaching in order to do the work. Wound up with 25 years of CPA practice in the DFW area....had some clients like the Petroleum Club in Dallas, 4 auto dealerships, 4 hotels (statewide president of the Hotel Motel accountants association) Doskocial Mfg co, Fox Electric one of the biggest commercial electrical companies in the metroplex. Actually wound up later teaching part time after selling my practice before I went to a different career in college administration. While I was a CPA with a masters degree to stay in college accounting and earn any significant monies you had to have a PHD which I decided after one coure towards that degree not to pursue.

My last job was VP finance and administration at El Paso Community College with 19,000 full time students and 9,000 part time students. I was responsible for administrating college receipts and disbursement for over $100 million per year, a 55 man police force, budgeting department, purchasing dept, contractural operations of food service and book store, computer dept, accounting dept, personnel dept, maintaining over 1 million sq feet of building space located on 4 campuses on 400 acres, for construction of major buildings on 3 campus and a completely new campus before retiring and moving back to the DFW area.

WHAT IS DESCRIBED IS TRUTHFULL...ITS SAD WHEN PEOPLE MAKE UP LIES BECAUSE THEY CANNOT ACCEPT THE TRUTH. GO HOME MAV.

No I was not fired. Actually I was building a CPA practice on the side and when it really got going I had to quit teaching in order to do the work. Wound up with 25 years of CPA practice in the DFW area....had some clients like the Petroleum Club in Dallas, 4 auto dealerships, 4 hotels (statewide president of the Hotel Motel accountants association) Doskocial Mfg co, Fox Electric one of the biggest commercial electrical companies in the metroplex. Actually wound up later teaching part time after selling my practice before I went to a different career in college administration. While I was a CPA with a masters degree to stay in college accounting and earn any significant monies you had to have a PHD which I decided after one coure towards that degree not to pursue.

My last job was VP finance and administration at El Paso Community College with 19,000 full time students and 9,000 part time students. I was responsible for administrating college receipts and disbursement for over $100 million per year, a 55 man police force, budgeting department, purchasing dept, contractural operations of food service and book store, computer dept, accounting dept, personnel dept, maintaining over 1 million sq feet of building space located on 4 campuses on 400 acres, for construction of major buildings on 3 campus and a completely new campus before retiring and moving back to the DFW area.

WHAT IS DESCRIBED IS TRUTHFULL...ITS SAD WHEN PEOPLE MAKE UP LIES BECAUSE THEY CANNOT ACCEPT THE TRUTH. GO HOME MAV.

Oldtime, Duck was jerking your chain, and not making a lie. You really didn't have to feel compelled to come-out and list your professional accomplishments to prove him "wrong." Most people probably give you the benefit of the doubt that you have done something with your life......even if you were passed-over for promotion by the accounting department.

Now we get ready for UTA. I think the Mavs is a very fine basketball team. They are well-coached, I think Scott Cross has done an excellent job with his staff. I think offensively they present a lot of problems. Their strengths really gives us all kind of problems. They have great guards. Their guards are about as good as any in the country. We know about Brandon Long and everybody else. They got a great center in Jermaine Griffin as well.

Their forward Larry Posey played very well againts our conference mate UALR the other night. Frankly, I don't know why we should show up. We just don't match up well, we don't match up well at all.

;)

Edited by CMJ

Jermaine Griffin was the guy who killed us last season. Griffin is a big, quick and powerful post. He sort of reminds me of George Odufua.

If Wooden has to play 36 minutes on one leg while Q and Stew pick up 9 fouls in 28 minutes and aren't available to give him a chance to rest, and if Ben Bell plays his worst game ever and looks like a juco who isn't yet acclimated to D-1 basketball----then UTA might beat us by two points again.

yeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I like it. short. concise. expresses an emotion, but not overly serious. Let me try.

UNT Sucks!

I don't understand why you get on a UNT message board and talk crap?? Cool fans at UTA. Let me know when yall become your OWN university.

now you just sound like a moron

UTA is an international school, UNT is a backup plan

NT was my first choice based on the major I wanted and did study in... had I failed out I would have been at UTA.

I know more people that say the same thing about UTA. They chose A&M, OU, etc etc etc... but if something happened I could always just go to UTA...

NT's a Back up plan huh? Whats your enrollment?

I don't understand why you get on a UNT message board and talk crap?? Cool fans at UTA. Let me know when yall become your OWN university.

Dude, don't take me too seriously. I don't think most do.

Yeah, sure, I would really enjoy a win tonight, but this all just fun stuff.

See some of you Meanie Greenies at The Hall!