Uta Game In Arlington

OldTimer

Get there early and sit behind the NT players bench on the " stage" I can remember not that long ago doing that with SUMG to try and protect our players on the bench. UTA fans would sit immediately behind our bench...bring a tin garbage can lid and a tire jack and lean over the railing to bang it above our players head. One time they brought a dead chicken and held it over our players head with blood dripping on them....I saw this and UTA did nothing to stop it. At the time I was a full time accounting instructor at UTA after graduating from NT BBA , CPA and UH MBA.

The stage is very dangerous for players......when you get there look at the orchestra pit just a few steps from the court on the audience side, I haven't been there lately but unless they have done something to cover it up it could result in a serious injury to a player.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get there early and sit behind the NT players bench on the " stage" I can remember not that long ago doing that with SUMG to try and protect our players on the bench. UTA fans would sit immediately behind our bench...bring a tin garbage can lid and a tire jack and lean over the railing to bang it above our players head. One time they brought a dead chicken and held it over our players head with blood dripping on them....I saw this and UTA did nothing to stop it. At the time I was a full time accounting instructor at UTA after graduating from NT BBA , CPA and UH MBA.

The stage is very dangerous for players......when you get there look at the orchestra pit just a few steps from the court on the audience side, I haven't been there lately but unless they have done something to cover it up it could result in a serious injury to a player.

What utter BS. Obviously the only truth is that you have not been there since you got fired.

Toke

Toke

Pass

This is why I love playing in state rivals!

Agree , I hope we play UTA every year for years to come. I think both programs are on the rise , and both are currently better than TCU & SMU. Would / Should be a attendance booster for the home squads.

Would not surprise me one bit if we win the Belt again this year and the Mavs won the Southland.

I believe it OT. In the 80's and at least twice while I attended NT we brought more fans and had the home advantage at Texas Hall. So for the next year UTA officials started forcing anyone in Green who walked up to buy a ticket to sit in the balcony, the furthest point away from the court, not allowing anyone to sit down low on either side even though there were plenty of seats on the other side of the orchestra pit. It was a sneaky attempt to try and counter the fact that your own school didn't support your program very well at the time.

Rick

---No off-shoot... Was known as Arlington State when I entered college and it changed names in 1966? to UTA . At the time of the name change it was equal in size to North Texas. It seemed that we would be larger in the Fall and they would be larger in the Spring...guess we were flunking more students out... that was pretty easy to do then, earlser than now at mid-term according to requirements in the catalogue published. Both had about 13,000 students at the time. Flunking out was very bad for males then.... it probably meant you were about to be going to the rice-paddies of Viet-Nam. I have wondered if dropping football contributed to the fact they did not grow as fast as we did after they did that.

---Beat the Rebels.!!... ah... make that Mavs. (they were called Rebels then) Actually the legislature passed the school name change to "Texas A&M-Arlington" but it never took effect after protests by the the all-male version in College Station and the students in Arlington. Instead they created two UTs... El Paso and Arlington instead of an additonal UT and A&M as had been planned... It was done so they could dip into the University lands fund... the baby-boom was hitting and money was needed for expansion everywhere....

--- We had first been changed to UNT in 1961 by the Texas House of Representatives but the Texas Senate didn't agree with the House (too many UT grads) and it never went into effect and we became NTSU instead... from the NTSC name. It was possible to buy UNT window stickers in the mid 60's since someone jumped the gun and had some printed. A drug store [Wolf-Nue] across the street from campus on A street (now considered part of Fry) sold them.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Bigger and better? You're certainly not bigger than UT Austin...but I'll grant you the better.

And I'm also in agreement that UTA should be the only Texas cupcake we schedule year to year. Right now even I can't get excited about beating up on SMU.

Brilliant

Bigger and better? You're certainly not bigger than UT Austin...but I'll grant you the better.

And I'm also in agreement that UTA should be the only Texas cupcake we schedule year to year. Right now even I can't get excited about beating up on SMU.

---You have to be careful about calling people "CUPCAKES" in basketball. Sam Houston just beat TxTech, New Orleans beat North Carolina State, and I'll bet that Okie State considered us one. Don't confuse rankings and reputations in football with basketball... It is a different world. ... Duke is a great example.

--- In fact a lot of great JC teams could take out major colleges if they scheduled them... Midland College was once playing with three future NBA players at one time and all three of them played in the NCAA finals a couple years after graduating from MC. One had not met minimum NCAA requirements and the other two were overlooked by major colleges --Spud Webb and Mookie Blaylock. They are not the only future NBA players to walk through the doors here. Some are overlooked because of size or maturity, some are foreigners and speak broken English, and some just keep growing or had injury problems in HS and did not get signed. Not a MC player but Dennis Rodman did not play basketball fresh out of HS and was less than 6 feet when he graduated from HS.

--In short, you need to look at their record this year and pay little attention to the school name in the basketball world.. They can be great one year and just so-so the next and the reverse applies also..... there are so few few players in B-Ball that changing 1-2 of them can really make a difference in both directions. If a team suddenly finds two great players, then they are a problem to deal with.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---You have to be careful about calling people "CUPCAKES" in basketball. Sam Houston just beat TxTech, New Orleans beat North Carolina State, and I'll bet that Okie State considered us one. Don't confuse rankings and reputations in football with basketball... It is a different world. ... Duke is a great example.

--- In fact a lot of great JC teams could take out major colleges if they scheduled them... Midland College was once playing with three future NBA players at one time and all three of them played in the NCAA finals a couple years after graduating from MC. One had not met minimum NCAA requirements and the other two were overlooked by major colleges --Spud Webb and Mookie Blaylock. They are not the only future NBA players to walk through the doors here. Some are overlooked because of size or maturity, some are foreigners and speak broken English, and some just keep growing or had injury problems in HS and did not get signed. Not a MC player but Dennis Rodman did not play basketball fresh out of HS and was less than 6 feet when he graduated from HS.

--In short, you need to look at their record this year and pay little attention to the school name in the basketball world.. They can be great one year and just so-so the next and the reverse applies also..... there are so few few players in B-Ball that changing 1-2 of them can really make a difference in both directions. If a team suddenly finds two great players, then they are a problem to deal with.

Yeah...like I said, cupcakes.

Fact is, they beat us last year. We shouldn't have had to rely on the presence of monitor even if they did score after time expired. I don't think we are justified in calling them anything until we beat them on Wednesday.

It's funny how some of you posters have no problem treating UTA as nothing more than a rotten step child , but the moment someone from SMU says something negative about our school we get all bend out of shape and say how arrogant they are.

UTA has a very good BB program right now. I think we will win , but it shouldnt come as a shock if the Mavs pull it out again.

Edited by NT03

Fact is, they beat us last year. We shouldn't have had to rely on the presence of monitor even if they did score after time expired. I don't think we are justified in calling them anything until we beat them on Wednesday.

Thanks. It's never too late to inject a little class into the discussion. :)