Quotes From Okie State Board

PerryG2480

"This is only game two. This team tonight almost knocked off #3 Memphis last year in the tourny." :)

"Our once storied basketball program just lost to North Texas." :angry:

"There is simply no way to justify our program losing to a team like North Texas, and if you think there is then you are refusing to accept how far we have fallen." :angry:

"Yeah....who is the freaking idiot(s) that scheduled this game in Denton????" :lol:

"A very good mid major beating an average team like ours isn't a shocker." :)

"Kentucky, Ohio State, USC, Michigan State (exhibition game) all in the top 25, lost to teams who are not half as good as North Texas, on their home courts. Lets get realistic here, we lost to a quality team on the road even if their name is North Texas." <_<

"North Texas would whip Davidson with ease." :)

"This wasn't an upset. We would have to play very well to beat North Texas on the road. They are pretty good." :)

"This is a team with seven new players on the road against a team that won their conference and hung with Memphis in the tourney last year. We should have won, but it's not as if North Texas is North Denton High School."

"North Texas on the other hand actually made the NCAA tournament after winning the Sun Belt Conference title. They lost to Memphis in the first round, but not before giving Memphis all they could handle."

"UNT played the game of their lives and we didnt play all that well but were still in the game." (I beg to differ.)

"No KU's loss to ORU last years was MUCH worse than this because it was at home. This was a road game againsts a team we should beat, but one that was in the NCAA tournment last year, has several very good post players and a great guard. We should not have been playing them on the road, we would beat them in GIA." :rolleyes:

Last but not least:

"A loss to UNT is not the end of the world or indicative of anything other than we got beat by a better team. There, I said it." :D:lol::)

I saw this line too and it made me smile...not that I think its true (we'd give them a hell of a game), Davidson is getting a lot of national love and they just hung well with number 1 UNC...but just to be mentioned with a team like this shows the giant steps UNT has taken under JJ

I love that the keep harping on the 7 new players part. We have 6 new players (8 if you count the walkons), I really don't think that's the reason the lost.

wait, wait, hold it right there..... How is B-Ball can win with so many new players yet our football defense can not do a damn thing...... ok that is awesome though to already have become so cohesive this early and score a big win for the program. Now it is time to chop down those Birdless Sycamores :D

I saw this line too and it made me smile...not that I think its true (we'd give them a hell of a game), Davidson is getting a lot of national love and they just hung well with number 1 UNC...but just to be mentioned with a team like this shows the giant steps UNT has taken under JJ

True. We are not the doormat that teams from the power conferences want to see anymore. With the showing against Memphis as well as last night against OSU, Mean Green basketball is now showing that we can compete with anyone. Lets keep this train rolling with a big W against Indiana St.!

May be off, but still fun to read.:

We went to the game and it's not that OSU is average or bad UNT is good and controlled the tempo of the game and squashed each of our runs. We could get up to 3 points and they would hit two threes. They have two NBA caliber guards and one big man that was basically unstoppable.
Edited by ColoradoEagle

He doesn't happen to mention who our "2 NBA caliber guards" are does he...I'd sure like to know.

I assume he's talking about Josh White and Dez Willingham. Josh White, it's a possibility depending on what happens with the rest of his time at NT. Willingham, not a chance in hell. I thought the quote was great because it shows this team really got into their heads.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

wait, wait, hold it right there..... How is B-Ball can win with so many new players yet our football defense can not do a damn thing...... ok that is awesome though to already have become so cohesive this early and score a big win for the program. Now it is time to chop down those Birdless Sycamores :D

---Basketball and football are in a completely different worlds...Football is played with a minimum of 22 players.... 11 each way plus a few subs and special team guys..... Basketball is basicly 5 people with a couple of subs rotating in and out. Basketball can turn a program around in as hurry with just two (2) really good players added.....football can't. Basketball also can get very good quality players from Junior Colleges (with lots of quality playing experience) and that doesn't happen much in football. I teach in a JC (Midland) and we have produced a lot of future NBA players...including Mookie Blaylock and Spud Webb... the other JC 30 miles away produced Larry Johnson who later was the best player at UNLV when they won the national championship...he played for several years in the NBA also. Improvement can happen in a hurry in basketball but also a severe drop-off as well.

--- Football teams... I don't have an explanation for what has happened but rarely do they improve extremely rapidly... Obviously our offense is much better than before but the defense defies all-explanation on how bad it has become. Hopefully changes will be made and it will improve next year.

You need 6 decent players to win in BBall...and, if he's good enough, one of them can take you very far and overcome other weaknesses (cough*D-Wade*cough).

In football, you need 44 men that can play. And it's so extremely rare for a single man to impact the outcome of a game. Vick in the Sugar Bowl vs. Florida State was about as good as I can recall, and they still lost.

That's why there are so many Gonzagas and George Masons every year in Bball. So many great players across the country. I wonder how many schools, given the roster cap for bball, you would have to put together to equate to one football team.

• 2 weeks later...

"This is only game two. This team tonight almost knocked off #3 Memphis last year in the tourny." :)

"Our once storied basketball program just lost to North Texas." :angry:

"There is simply no way to justify our program losing to a team like North Texas, and if you think there is then you are refusing to accept how far we have fallen." :angry:

"Yeah....who is the freaking idiot(s) that scheduled this game in Denton????" :lol:

"A very good mid major beating an average team like ours isn't a shocker." :)

"Kentucky, Ohio State, USC, Michigan State (exhibition game) all in the top 25, lost to teams who are not half as good as North Texas, on their home courts. Lets get realistic here, we lost to a quality team on the road even if their name is North Texas." <_<

"This wasn't an upset. We would have to play very well to beat North Texas on the road. They are pretty good." :)

"This is a team with seven new players on the road against a team that won their conference and hung with Memphis in the tourney last year. We should have won, but it's not as if North Texas is North Denton High School."

"North Texas on the other hand actually made the NCAA tournament after winning the Sun Belt Conference title. They lost to Memphis in the first round, but not before giving Memphis all they could handle."

"UNT played the game of their lives and we didnt play all that well but were still in the game." (I beg to differ.)

"No KU's loss to ORU last years was MUCH worse than this because it was at home. This was a road game againsts a team we should beat, but one that was in the NCAA tournment last year, has several very good post players and a great guard. We should not have been playing them on the road, we would beat them in GIA." :rolleyes:

Last but not least:

"A loss to UNT is not the end of the world or indicative of anything other than we got beat by a better team. There, I said it." :D:lol::)

Those are some nice comments for sure.