Dodge Has Optimism On Defense

MeanGreen61

Notebook: Dodge has optimism on defense

11:58 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 9, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas head coach Todd Dodge has decided to look at the bright side this week.

The Mean Green has lost its first five games of the season and is allowing an average of 547.0 yards and 51.6 points per game, totals that rank last among the NCAA's Bowl Subdivision teams.

Dodge dug past those numbers to come up with a few positives from UNT's 38-29 loss to Louisiana-Lafayette last week. He is emphasizing each to his team heading into a game against Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday, and ran through them Tuesday during his weekly press conference.

"It's very important that we accentuate the things that we did well," Dodge said. "It's important going into the game against Monroe that I am able to say some of the same things next week, then we will be able to get some consistency."

Dodge believes the Mean Green can improve its performance and its record if it can build on the following positives defensively:

-- UNT forced five three-and-outs against ULL to meet its goal for the game.

-- UNT forced six punts to exceed its goal of five.

-- UNT posted seven tackles for losses, two more than its goal of five.

-- UNT held UL-Lafayette to three third-down conversions on 12 tries, surpassing its goal of holding its opponent to less than 50 percent on third-down conversions.

"The one thing I have to do for our defense and our defensive coaches is show them that we are making progress," Dodge said. "We have to improve on forcing turnovers and still have to improve on limiting explosive plays. We limited Lafayette to four, but we gave up 190 yards on three plays. You take away those three plays and we hit eight of our 10 goals on defense."

Dodge also pointed out that his team reached two special teams goals when it held ULL to an average starting position inside the 30-yard line and recovered a fumble on a punt.

UNT has played better offensively and reached some of its goals, including converting all three of its drives in the red zone into points.

"Those are the things that we did well and the things that we are going to focus on that show that we are getting better," Dodge said. "What we have to do better is protect the football and force more turnovers and limit big plays on defense."

Dodge to give young linebackers more time

Dodge said Tuesday that redshirt freshman Craig Robertson and freshman A.J. Penson will see more time at linebacker for the remainder of the season.

UNT has struggled throughout the year defensively, and comes into a game against Louisiana-Monroe allowing an average of 255.2 rushing yards a game. The Mean Green hopes that playing both of its young linebackers more will help it improve heading into a game against a ULM team that features Calvin Dawson, who leads the Sun Belt with an average of 134 rushing yards a game.

"Penson and Robertson have played a lot and we are going to put them on the field even more," Dodge said. "Those guys are our best players in space."

Bailey OK after car accident

Sophomore offensive lineman Tyler Bailey will be back in UNT's lineup this week after suffering what Dodge described as concussion from a car accident last week.

Bailey was in an accident on Thursday in which his car's airbag deployed. Bailey made the trip to Lafayette, La., but started to feel sick before the game.

Backup Chad Rose started in place of Bailey.

"We felt he was going to be able to go when we made the trip, but at the hotel he started showing signs of a mild concussion," Dodge said. "We were not going to risk anything with him and made the decision on Saturday morning that he would sit out. He will be fine. … He is a pretty tough kid. He is one you definitely listen to when he says he isn't feeling well."

Once again... I don't mean to sound glib, though it feels inevitable.

What would constitute PESSIMISM about the defense, at this point? That we're going to give up 600 yards instead of 500? That we'll start giving up TDs in drives that last less than 1 minute, rather than just less than 2 minutes?

When your defense ranks dead last in Division 1-A, it's impossible to be pessimistic and expect things to get any worse. They're already worse than anything and everything else.

Not a call for anyone's job, just a factual observation. Optimism and neutrality are the only options when you're at the bottom. Either you expect things will get better or you expect things will stay the same. You can't get worse than the worst.

Now watch us go out and give up 80 points to La-Monroe, and make me regret that statement.

Once again... I don't mean to sound glib, though it feels inevitable.

What would constitute PESSIMISM about the defense, at this point? That we're going to give up 600 yards instead of 500? That we'll start giving up TDs in drives that last less than 1 minute, rather than just less than 2 minutes?

When your defense ranks dead last in Division 1-A, it's impossible to be pessimistic and expect things to get any worse. They're already worse than anything and everything else.

Not a call for anyone's job, just a factual observation. Optimism and neutrality are the only options when you're at the bottom. Either you expect things will get better or you expect things will stay the same. You can't get worse than the worst.

Now watch us go out and give up 80 points to La-Monroe, and make me regret that statement.

I would like to think TD is being very PC and calling out his DC in the media creating a rift on the team. I would hope that he has pulled Mendoza to the side more than a few times and letting him know that this is not acceptable. I trust in dodge even though it has been tough so far.

Also nice to see Dodge letting the young guys start playing as they may have more fire than the current upperclassmen.

Edited by untbowler

Dodge is smart. He has a set of goals that he put up and after the game he sees if they accomplished those goals or not. Todge has told the team that if they are able to hit those goals for each game that they will win. I have also heard him say time and time again - when a player (or unit) is messing up - that is the time that you encourage them the most. Now - changes will be made if there is not an improvement by the end of the season, I do not doubt that. After all, our old coach would still be keeping the Dan Wagon in, insisting that he is their best chance at keeping it close so that they could squeak out a win in the 4th. Dodge saw what most of us saw - that Meager had done ok - but that we had seen the very best from the Dan Wagon and it just wasn't enough. I think that Coach is a very good coach. I trust his judgment and like that he shows the positives. He knows about the big play and the collapse of the line. He will fix it. In the three winnable games (FAU, SMU, and UL) - we have gotten burned by their QB with his feet... usually after the D had done their job and shut down all of the options. That is the area that we have to improve on, the coverage after the play has broken down... that is where were are getting killed. Todge will fix it.

Great to hear about the young guys playing more.....lets do it.

The big plays against us (offense and defense) have caused us to be 0-5. I did come checking around and was kind of shocked by some of the numbers this year.

North Texas has more first downs than their opponents (111 to 106). But, NT has give up 9 touchdowns of 35 yards or more. When you consider that NT has played Oklahoma and Arkansas in those 5 games, the first down numbers are pretty shocking to me. In games against FAU, SMU and ULL, North Texas wins the first down battle 80 to 49.

I cannot find the time of possession for those games. But, I would assume that our offense is doing pretty well in that regard, since they are winning the first down battle.

What does this tell me ? TD's system can move the ball and keep the our defense off the field. So, fatigue should not really be a problem for the D. The defense has to minimize the number of huge plays.

I have no doubt that the defense could switch to a bend, but not break, formation and minimize the number of big plays. But, my guess is that the team is implementing the defense that they will run in the future, when they will have better athletes to win the 1-on-1 matchups (no disrespect to the current players). To play Mendoza's D schemes, we need better athletes from what I have seen (I am not a coach). If the top notch athletes on D don't come in the next year or two, the scheme will have to change.

Two years from now this offense is going to put up some incredible numbers. IMHO, they are already overachieving this season.

We need time and a few athletes. When that happens, I think we are going to see a dramatic turnaround. It is going to happen folks.

One more thing.....I think both the offensive and defensive numbers are skewed somewhat. With this offense, the games are longer and more plays are executed. As a result, both the offensive and defensive numbers are going to be higher than they normally would.

Just my thoughts as an armchair coach ;)

Edited by akriesman

Hopefully getting AJ Penson and Robertson on the field more at the OLB spots will eliminate our vulnerability on the edge. Desoreaux and Fenroy from LaLa made our guys on the outside look like they were running in quicksand. At least Penson and Robertson can slow that down with their athletic ability and the way they play in space.

3 big plays for 190 yards kind of puts it in perspective. Sounds to me like if they can eliminate the big plays, they will significantly improve.

Hopefully getting AJ Penson and Robertson on the field more at the OLB spots will eliminate our vulnerability on the edge. Desoreaux and Fenroy from LaLa made our guys on the outside look like they were running in quicksand. At least Penson and Robertson can slow that down with their athletic ability and the way they play in space.

3 big plays for 190 yards kind of puts it in perspective. Sounds to me like if they can eliminate the big plays, they will significantly improve.

So what is the big plus with Penson? Oldtimer posted his physical stats in another thread as 6'1, 220 and a 4.8? 4.8 seems mighty slow to me for an OLB. What am I missing? On the other hand Robertson is listed as 4.3. Wow!

So what is the big plus with Penson? Oldtimer posted his physical stats in another thread as 6'1, 220 and a 4.8? 4.8 seems mighty slow to me for an OLB. What am I missing? On the other hand Robertson is listed as 4.3. Wow!

He may be the most aggressive player on our team. Have you seen him on kickoff return? Everytime he is determined to put the guy he is blocking on the ground or make him wish he was.

Notebook: Dodge has optimism on defense

11:58 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 9, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Dodge said Tuesday that redshirt freshman Craig Robertson and freshman A.J. Penson will see more time at linebacker for the remainder of the season.

"Penson and Robertson have played a lot and we are going to put them on the field even more," Dodge said. "Those guys are our best players in space."

Bailey OK after car accident

Ahh, I was waiting for this change. If you are going to pull Meager because of poor play and insert Vizza then our last ranked defense should also have some personnel changes. Let's see what Penson & Robertson can do? Maybe Mendoza's defense will start showing some results with his players in it? Either way I like Penson's size & speed.

Scout.com had Penson ranked as the #40 MLB in the NATION coming out of high school last season.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Truth be known, Penson is probably faster than 4.8 and Robertson is slower than 4.3. There can be a couple of reasons for this. Some are electronically timed and are much more accurate than the hand-held watches. Hand-held times are .1 and occasionly .2 faster than electronics. The other factor is mental. When you are not competing, it's hard to run full-bore. When you're in a game and the adrenalin is flowing, you're much faster than running wind-sprints. So, to begin with, I'd say that Penson's is an electronic time and Robertson's is hand-held (there may not be but a handfull of football players that can run a legitimate 4.34 forty).

Other factors are amount of clothing, weather conditions, and shoes.

The special teams coach that I am most familiar with lines up the non-starting DBs, LBs, RBs and WRs and run them from the 35 to the other 15 four or five times. Then he'd work with the 15 fastest on shedding blockers, open field tackles, etc. and select the ten best for kickoff coverage. On the North Texas roster I'd say that there are more than 10 at those positions than can run faster than a 4.8 so Penson wouldn't be on that unit if that was his fastest speed. The few times that I've noticed him he was usually somewhere between the third and sixth man down on coverage. That's pretty fast.

Penson is said to have superior reflexes which tells me that he is not easily juked and can instinctively adjust his speed and angle toward the ball carrier. That's pretty much a gift although it can be acquired. I'll look forward to more playing time from those two.

Now, to adjust this thread slightly. Last year, we had another player who was cut from this same cloth. Unheralded, he became our third leading tackler because he excelled at open-field tackling. He has barely played this year although I did see that he had three tackles against Louisiana. Why have'nt we seen more of Germaine Dawson?

Even if Penson does run a 4.8 it is so much better than Mendoza and his 6.4 40 time. I've been saying it since the first game I saw him in, but Mendoza is the slowest player I have ever seen.

From what I read, and perhaps I misread, Penson and Roberson are both slated to play OLB so it seems as though Mendoza will remain MLB?

Now, to adjust this thread slightly. Last year, we had another player who was cut from this same cloth. Unheralded, he became our third leading tackler because he excelled at open-field tackling. He has barely played this year although I did see that he had three tackles against Louisiana. Why have'nt we seen more of Germaine Dawson?

His number changed and he is now a db. I've only seen him on kickoff coverage.