Mgn: Mean Green's Slow Start Will Test New Fans

Cerebus

I still have faith in Dodge (I will have more faith in him when Mendoza is sent packing and Vizza is our QB)...but I do think that we are back in our media/local unaffiliated sports fan black hole. Metroplex sports fans are some of the most fair-weather in the world...with no loyalty except to the Cowboys...and I think the opportunity to draw them in has been squandered.

Interesting article. But based on what I read around here, I think the slow start is more likely to test old fans. As a new fan, I wasn't expecting much this season. The crazy offensive stats production at SMU was well worth the trip, even though we lost. FAU was a heartbreaker, but again it was an exciting game. I'm just as interested in this next game against ULL as I would be if we were 4-0. For me as a fan, this slow start is just going to make it that much sweeter when the tide finally turns. Now I'm not saying that I prefer a slow start for the drama or that I don't think we should be doing better. Like everyone else, I've been dissappointed. But I know that things will get fixed. This is the kind of stuff that legends are made of. This is part of the journey that TD talks about and I'm onboard.

Interesting article. But based on what I read around here, I think the slow start is more likely to test old fans. As a new fan, I wasn't expecting much this season. The crazy offensive stats production at SMU was well worth the trip, even though we lost. FAU was a heartbreaker, but again it was an exciting game. I'm just as interested in this next game against ULL as I would be if we were 4-0. For me as a fan, this slow start is just going to make it that much sweeter when the tide finally turns. Now I'm not saying that I prefer a slow start for the drama or that I don't think we should be doing better. Like everyone else, I've been dissappointed. But I know that things will get fixed. This is the kind of stuff that legends are made of. This is part of the journey that TD talks about and I'm onboard.

You are so right, people are discounting the new fan Good Will that Todd Dodge has created, they are comparing it to what they are used to with Dickey Ball. But it is a journey and many are on board.

Coach Dodge is the one that is being tested the most right now, not the fans. Dickey proved that to me. When TD and company steps foot in Baton Rouge to start next season(a game RECENTLY scheduled), that will be the true test of what someone is made of.

On a sidenote, we have got to schedule better and start forcing a return game before we sign on the dotted line for OOC play in the future. Look at many of the OOC wins the belt has. All home games. Whether that means a new stadium or not I don't know. But we have hosted many named OOC programs at Fouts and this needs to continue.

Rick

Most of us older, er experienced fans have already been thru many years of fire, from Bob Tyler to 1-AA to Nevada 72-zip, so we can take whatever comes. This always goes in cycles and once Dodge gets it on track you'll be able to tell all you were at the beginning. You know when these freshmen are juniors and seniors the scores will be different. I saw Plano go from 0-10 to 13-1 within two years (the one loss was in the 4th quarter to Dodge/SLC in one of the best playoff games ever).

Edited by NT80

2005 playoffs? That was a great game!

Yes. I asked Coach Dodge about that game this past summer at one of his intro tours he was on. His smiled and his eyes lit up and he said "yes, great, tough game!". I think he enjoyed the comeback win in that one. That's why I think he can do it for NT too, he knows how to turn things into wins.

Interesting article. But based on what I read around here, I think the slow start is more likely to test old fans.

Some of the anxiety coming from "old" fans is the fear we are going to, yet again, squander momentum.

Like everyone else, I've been dissappointed. But I know that things will get fixed. This is the kind of stuff that legends are made of. This is part of the journey that TD talks about and I'm onboard.

I hope there are alot of new fans with that mindset. Is anyone else on the board a "new" fan? What are your thoughts?

I would be considered an old fan. Yes, I hate to admit it, but I've been a fan as long as I can remember, which would be about 36 years. I tempered my expectations this year knowing that Dodge was bringing in a new system and trying to mold players that were recruited for a totally different system, so I planned on having patience with the offense. I figured we would see glimpses of how good this offense can be, SMU and FAU first half, and then we would really struggle.

The one thing I didn't expect was to see a total meltdown on the defensive side of the ball. This has been totally unexpected, and I think it is more a reflection of the scheme we are running as opposed to the talent on that side of the ball. One thing I've always counted on is NT having a strong defense, and this is unexceptable in my book with 9 returning starters.

I also didn't expect the troubles in the kicking game. I thought we might need a few games to get our new field goal kicker up and running with confidence, but I never dreamed of Spencer getting punts blocked, etc...

Coach Dodge is the one that is being tested the most right now, not the fans. Dickey proved that to me.

Rick, I think the fans are being tested. Over the years, I have seen a lot of opinions posted on the board, over what is the magic bullet to make NT a big time program. Some people think its a new stadium, others a hot coach, or a big recruit, etc. I've always stated the magic bullet is the fans. Simply put, we need more of them.

The die hards we have now are great. And there are many more die hards now, after the bowl years, than there were before. I will always remember seeing JaQuay set the school rushing record... in front of 800 people. I literally had to run down a few bleachers, and another fan had to run up a few rows, for us to high five each other. Now, if we were to head into the WKU game at 0-9, I have no doubt 10-12,000 die hards would be in the stands. We just need 22,000 of them.

The crowd for the FAU game, after we got drubbed by OU and lost to local team everyone would have heard about on the news, was very impressive. If we have a similar crowd for the ULM game, win or lose @ ULL, that will be a huge step forward for the program. If we are back down to 15-16k, it will be a step back.

So yes, the fans are being tested, and the fans being tested the most are the new fans. Do they believe in Coach Dodge? Are they willing to put up with difficulty?

Those stats are depressing.

The most surprising stat amounis thet of penalties. I assumed they had gone way down from last year.

Anyone know how we ranked in those categories last year?

NCAA doesn't seem to keep stats on penalties year to year. Here are some comparisons on those they do. And, to be fair, the 2006 stats include a full SBC slate and the 2007 do not.

Stat 2006 2007

---

Scoring Offense #115 #110

Scoring Defense #79 #119

Net Punting #26 #67

Sacks #103 #109

Sacks Allowed #46 #108

Tackles for Loss #96 #108

I have examined this type of system up close after following Hawaii closely this decade. Like Hawaii I think we are going to have up and down years with this being a natural down year. It wasn't until June Jones' last two years that there was consistency under Colt Brennan. They would win 9 and the next year win 4, then win 10, then win 5. We may get consistency once Riley gets to Denton but unless you get the right players to funnel into this system we may experience ups and downs. This system is tough to disguise - a high risk/reward situation.

GMG

I just have to add one thing. I received an email lambasting me for giving up on Coach Dodge. Which is just not the case.

I'm disappointed by the start, but I fully understood this could be a very bad year for us. Todd Dodge and his coaching staff still have my support, 100%.

In fact, I am am not worried about Coach Dodge losing support from die hards, including people on this board. If we rolled into the WKU game winless, I have no doubt the majority of people who read this board would be at the game.

Who I am worried about is all the new folks who gave money and bought tickets. Will they be at the WKU game? Will they be at the ULM game if we lose to ULL this Saturday?

Time will tell. If they ARE there, rain or shine, then the North Texas program will have taken a big step forward.

I just have to add one thing. I received an email lambasting me for giving up on Coach Dodge. Which is just not the case.

I'm disappointed by the start, but I fully understood this could be a very bad year for us. Todd Dodge and his coaching staff still have my support, 100%.

In fact, I am am not worried about Coach Dodge losing support from die hards, including people on this board. If we rolled into the WKU game winless, I have no doubt the majority of people who read this board would be at the game.

Who I am worried about is all the new folks who gave money and bought tickets. Will they be at the WKU game? Will they be at the ULM game if we lose to ULL this Saturday?

Time will tell. If they ARE there, rain or shine, then the North Texas program will have taken a big step forward.

It's funny how many people here think Dodge is above any type of criticism. You're "against the mighty Dodge if you question any of his decisions!". "You secretly want Dickey back if you don't follow like sheep!". "Give him a break, this is Dickey's team. The first year means 0-12 is perfectly OK."

Most of us older, er experienced fans have already been thru many years of fire, from Bob Tyler to 1-AA to Nevada 72-zip, so we can take whatever comes. This always goes in cycles and once Dodge gets it on track you'll be able to tell all you were at the beginning. You know when these freshmen are juniors and seniors the scores will be different. I saw Plano go from 0-10 to 13-1 within two years (the one loss was in the 4th quarter to Dodge/SLC in one of the best playoff games ever).

Bob Tyler - the name still makes me shutter. I’ll take Mendoza learning defense over Tyler almost putting us on NCAA probation (or worse) any day!

It's funny how many people here think Dodge is above any type of criticism. You're "against the mighty Dodge if you question any of his decisions!". "You secretly want Dickey back if you don't follow like sheep!". "Give him a break, this is Dickey's team. The first year means 0-12 is perfectly OK."

If only there was a place where people were already having that discussion...

The first rule of that "other" place is : Don't mention that other place.

Movie reference?

The second rule of that "other" place is - you do not talk about that other place. Third rule of that other place is, be as negative as possible, no matter if people get beatdown so badly they go limp. Fourth rule is let's have as many "multiple personalites" as possible including any and all "taints". Fifth rule gomeangreen.com will be lambasted by all as being too positive. Sixth rule, no shirt, no shoes(sorry...couldn't come up with anything for this one guys). Seventh rule rants will go on for years and years and vendettas against certain posters will never cease. And the eighth and final rule, once the main reason for the negative energy is gone, the board will disband.

Voy board

2002-2007

The second rule of that "other" place is - you do not talk about that other place. Third rule of that other place is, be as negative as possible, no matter if people get beatdown so badly they go limp. Fourth rule is let's have as many "multiple personalites" as possible including any and all "taints". Fifth rule gomeangreen.com will be lambasted by all as being too positive. Sixth rule, no shirt, no shoes(sorry...couldn't come up with anything for this one guys). Seventh rule rants will go on for years and years and vendettas against certain posters will never cease. And the eighth and final rule, once the main reason for the negative energy is gone, the board will disband.

Voy board

2002-2007

I like to think my taint work allowed me to mock both boards without caring, thank you very much sir.