Ron Mendoza's Defense

Will to Win

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cmon UNTBowler! Two Games. Maybe it will be next Saturday. Maybe later in the season. Maybe next season. It will happen. I think the O.U. coaching staff had a plan to try to end all the talk of "Dodge Ball". Their "high school defense" stuff, told our players to fall down in the second half, asked refs if we could play with running clock in second half....was bush league! But, I understand. Who had a multiple page feature in USA Today. Who was featured in Sports Illustrated. Don't for a minute....think they are not unhappy about that kind of coverage from UNT.

Never, would I say Coach Stoops ran up the score....and YES it could hae been worse. But, those other comments from him and his coaches had one intention in mind.... "let's end this Dodge talk".

Coach Fran lost to O.U. 77 to 0 in his first attempt while in Aggie Land. The next two years also brought losses, but by 11 and 10 points I believe.

Sure, questions can be asked. Lord, I will never be one to argue that! I just believe Coach Dodge has a plan, knows how to assemble a Staff, know what it takes to win in the College game...and we will see that on both sides of the ball.

Thanks for reading and we will see ya next week! Can't wait!!!

ParksAndRecRick

:thumbsup:Agree, P&RR...

TDodge and his staff's (1) work ethic, (2) disciplined style passed down to our players and (3) positive thinkin' nature will bring them success, but it may not be this year and I think most of us thought that even his first week as our new Mean Green HFC back in late December.

Yet all 3 of the aformentioned are usually good traits for anyone with a job (no matter the job).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

His defense cannot work on the High School level when the other team has superior skills and speed. It was on display last night in the SLC game. They are running the same defense. You cannot play man to man when the other team has more team speed. Miami Northwestern played different varieties of zone and they gave SLC fits. Miami had their way with the SLC man coverage.

Mendoza needs to make some changes this year.

I don't doubt one minute that Dodge doesn't know what he is doing, but if there are not some serious changes on the defense soon, the pressure will be on Dodge to make changes in coaching. Yes, it has only been 2 games, but 2 games of no changes is a little concerning. Hopefully we will see something different next week.

If by game three we still give up tons of yardage, that would seem to me, pleanty of opportunity to show if the defensive scheme needs to be modified. Anymore games and we will not have a chance for a winning record in our conference this year.

His defense cannot work on the High School level when the other team has superior skills and speed. It was on display last night in the SLC game. They are running the same defense. You cannot play man to man when the other team has more team speed. Miami Northwestern played different varieties of zone and they gave SLC fits. Miami had their way with the SLC man coverage.

Mendoza needs to make some changes this year.

He didn't coach that game last night. He coaches for us now. Something tells me considering that he won 49 straight while coaching the defense at SLC that there was something to his method at the HS level.

Rick

He didn't coach that game last night. He coaches for us now. Something tells me considering that he won 49 straight while coaching the defense at SLC that there was something to his method at the HS level.

Rick

I think he means the defensive system. Still, no matter how you put it, Mendoza's system is going to have to change between now and the home opener. We can't have the same defensive performance we've had in the last two games. There's no way around it.

I think he means the defensive system. Still, no matter how you put it, Mendoza's system is going to have to change between now and the home opener. We can't have the same defensive performance we've had in the last two games. There's no way around it.

A close loss to the #2 team in the nation doesn't means much is broke at that level. 49 straight?

Rick

A close loss to the #2 team in the nation doesn't means much is broke at that level. 49 straight?

Rick

OU doesn't concern me. SMU does. OU will burn up anyone and everyone they play this year. SMU won't. ASU beat them last night, and they had a better overall performance, but the ASU defense played a role in that. I wish ours was at the same speed as ASU's, but a new coach and new system take time. However, I hope that's a done deal next weekend. The SBC is a better conference than it was last year, and our team will have to keep up.

Someone said earlier that Mendoza's system almost needs superior players for it to work like it did at SLC. One of the things they probably didn't have to do much at SLC was adjust around superior players. Mendoza HAS to do that here. We have good players at UNT, but they're not gonna be as good as some of the competition we'll face. He's gonna have to adjust for that.

Edited by meangreendork

OU doesn't concern me. SMU does. OU will burn up anyone and everyone they play this year. SMU won't. ASU beat them last night, and they had a better overall performance, but the ASU defense played a role in that. I wish ours was at the same speed as ASU's, but a new coach and new system take time. However, I hope that's a done deal next weekend. The SBC is a better conference than it was last year, and our team will have to keep up.

Someone said earlier that Mendoza's system almost needs superior players for it to work like it did at SLC. One of the things they probably didn't have to do much at SLC was adjust around superior players. Mendoza HAS to do that here. We have good players at UNT, but they're not gonna be as good as some of the competition we'll face. He's gonna have to adjust for that.

I think he was talking about LC.

Also get a grip, all the coaches should get a free pass their entire 1st year period. Do any of you think you know more then TD and Mendoza?

OR are you going to complain about this same crap defense topic until Saturday?

Slow down people. Give them some time to get personal in place and adjustments made.

I thnk that is the biggest misperception there is about SLC, is that they have more "superior" athletes than anyone else. Couldn't be further from the truth. They have had the best coached and the best prepared athletes than anyone else.

Rick

In a high profile program, Mendoza would have some heat but at UNT, he is under the radar. Mendoza will be here for at least two full seasons. So reserve judgment until after year two because it really won't make a difference until then. Let's give the hard working Mendoza a chance to succeed.

Edited by Dodge2007

Guest GrayEagleOne

It definitely is not panic time but it's beginning to be concern time. The defense that ranked 64th in the country now rests squarely at 119. That from a team that returned 9 starters and a dozen backups, and several good transfers and redshirt freshmen.

It's true that they ran a 3-4 last year and changed back to a 4-3; but most of our defensive players were here when we ran a 4-3 in 2005 so it's not like they were starting at ground zero.

The loss of Pruitt is pretty adequately replaced by Stevenson, Isaac Thomas, and Miller. The loss of Loren has been a blow but the other ten should acturally be a little better due to more experience. We had three preseason all-comference players and their defensive figures are way down from last year.

On the other hand, the offense with only five starters from a team that was 117th in total offense has prospered to where they were #3 last week. And, of those returning was a quarterback that had not proved himself, a running back that was (and is) plagued with injuries, two starters that are now backups, and a little used wide receiver. Okay, we haven't gotten that many points from this high-pwered offense but at least we are moving the sticks.

I realize that our comments mean little but this year I feel good about the head coach making the proper evaluation at season's end and doing whatever he can to improve the situation.

Certainy willing to cut him some slack this early in his tenure, but Mendoza better get it together quick. This ain't the SBC of old, and the way we have looked so far, I'm not sure if we could even stop a Sul Ross offense stocked with eleven 59 year olds.

:lol: Just how well did that 59 year old do anyway against Mary Hardin Baylor? Interesting story!

Guest GrayEagleOne

:lol: Just how well did that 59 year old do anyway against Mary Hardin Baylor? Interesting story!

Steels had a groin pull and didn't make the trip to Belton. It is unclear just when he will make his debut.

Flynt Steels is not your average 59 year old. He has been strength and conditioning coach for several universities and a personal trainer. He's even invented strength and conditioning equipment. But, although he has kept his body in fine shape, he may not be able to play again.

The old saying, "I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was" is definitely not true.

All I have to say is, it's been two games with recruits that weren't his. relax. Lets just enjoy some fun offensive football till they get it together. Can't we all just get along?

I agree to a degree. The question I posed earlier in this thread hasn't been answered though.

Bleil came in last year, installed a new defensive scheme and held SMU to 6 points in game two. The defense also wasn't getting torched to the degree that it is this year. Why should we give Mendoza two years when he has 9 returning starters from last year's defense that didn't look this bad?

I agree to a degree. The question I posed earlier in this thread hasn't been answered though.

Bleil came in last year, installed a new defensive scheme and held SMU to 6 points in game two. The defense also wasn't getting torched to the degree that it is this year. Why should we give Mendoza two years when he has 9 returning starters from last year's defense that didn't look this bad?

The major problem isn't with the recruits, it is with the schemes (or lack of) and poor adjustments. That is something the coach is ultimately responsible for. I'm willing to to have some patience, but I do expect Mendoza to mature rapidly in adjusting to the college game.

This whole "with recruits that are not his" excuse is bogus to the core.

Every football coach who goes to a new program has players that he didn't recruit. Mack Brown at Texas had John Mackovic's recruits, but still won. Bob Stoops had John Blake's recruits and still won. Urban Meyer had Ron Zook's recruits and still won.

And, those guys all won in tougher conferences with tougher schedules.

It's ridiculous to assume we've got to wait four or five years before we hold a coach responsible for what happens on the field. Dodge and his staff are responsible now, not five years from now. He came in here and built up expectations, and other than getting more passing yards, he's not yet delivering.

But, please, spare us the lame, "these aren't his players" balogna. They are his players - he's their coach!

Every football coach who goes to a new program has players that he didn't recruit. Mack Brown at Texas had John Mackovic's recruits, but still won. Bob Stoops had John Blake's recruits and still won. Urban Meyer had Ron Zook's recruits and still won.

It's ridiculous to assume we've got to wait four or five years before we hold a coach responsible for what happens on the field. Dodge and his staff are responsible now, not five years from now. He came in here and built up expectations, and other than getting more passing yards, he's not yet delivering.

But, please, spare us the lame, "these aren't his players" balogna. They are his players - he's their coach!

Just remember it takes a while for many to accept reality. 9 years in some cases.

Great question John.

I agree here. Nobody's jumping ship yet, and nobody's calling for Mendoza's head...some people (myself included) are questioning the effectiveness of the defensive scheme so far (justifiably so). When you rank 118 out of 119 in total defense, that's gonna happen. We all expect ot see a marked improvement defensively against FAU, however, if we don't see that, I'll start to become very concerned.

The SMU game showed that against similar talent/speed, we will be able to move the ball offensively. Now we need the defense to step up, and hopefully that will start translating to some W's in short order.

I don't think there's a good reason. Mendoza HAS to find something that'll work if he can't make his system work. The offense is clicking already, special teams is doing fine, the defense has to kick it into gear already. There's not really an excuse right now.