Unt-smu Could Resume Series

ADLER

Troy Phillips

Ft. Worth Star-Telegram

12 September 2007

…UNT-SMU could resume

Officials at UNT and SMU are comparing dates for potential games in a new UNT-SMU series.

Saturday marked the end of a two-game nonconference series between the schools, but both sides are interested in a longer deal for five or more years.

"If we did anything, it wouldn't be for a couple of years," UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said, adding that both schools' 2008 and 2009 schedules are full with contracts completed or pending.

UNT plays at LSU the next two seasons and at Kansas State in 2008. Air Force plays at UNT in 2009. UNT has a home-and-home series with Rice in 2008 and 2010. One undisclosed opponent in 2008 and two in 2009 are expected to sign contracts soon, Villarreal said.

Troy Phillips

Ft. Worth Star-Telegram

12 September 2007

…UNT-SMU could resume

Officials at UNT and SMU are comparing dates for potential games in a new UNT-SMU series.

Saturday marked the end of a two-game nonconference series between the schools, but both sides are interested in a longer deal for five or more years.

"If we did anything, it wouldn't be for a couple of years," UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said, adding that both schools' 2008 and 2009 schedules are full with contracts completed or pending.

UNT plays at LSU the next two seasons and at Kansas State in 2008. Air Force plays at UNT in 2009. UNT has a home-and-home series with Rice in 2008 and 2010. One undisclosed opponent in 2008 and two in 2009 are expected to sign contracts soon, Villarreal said.

What's with the undiscolsed opponent in 2008. I've read that a couple of times now. What is the reason for not disclosing who it is?

Isn't the K-State game a home and home series?

Also, I'm not terribly pleased with scheduling @ LSU 2 years in a row.

Edited by Green Lantern

One undisclosed opponent in 2008 and two in 2009 are expected to sign contracts soon, Villarreal said.

I will take this with just what it is until more info comes out. We heard about this big donor for a while and nothing, so this just maybe on of those "I think it may happen, it may not" type deals.

As for SMU, they would be crazy not to want to continue the series after a very good two games and both games had good attendence. I still think all three of the local teams should play each other every season.

What's with the undiscolsed opponent in 2008. I've read that a couple of times now. What is the reason for not disclosing who it is?

I'm not excited about this either, but hey, I'm sure App St. was not looking forward to playing Michigan. Give Dodge a little time to get his guys in here.

And herein lies the problem. Can either school look you square in the eye and tell you that they have an upcoming opponent who will bring fans to the game like SMU and UNT could do for each other? One of the problems of our 'series' with SMU is the gap in the scheduling. If both schools want to create a rivalry they need to play each other for a few year consecutively. I doubt that SMU has more that one team a year at home that will bring the 7.000 fans like we did this year, and conversely, I doubt that UNT has very many home opponents that would cause the stir that the SMU team would cause for a home game.

Guest GrayEagleOne

There are many possible reasons for not disclosing such as financial arrangements, stadium availability, return engagement, etc. Mostly, I think that it's to protect the AD from us. If a deal with Notre Dame, TCU, Texas or whoever fell through, the AD would hear about it for years. What we don't know won't hurt them. Why would you care until it's a done deal?

It's a two for one. We go there in 2008 and 2012; they come here in 2010.

LSU is at least a half-million in the bank, plus the opportunity to beat a national power. You don't get those offers every day. As for the two years in a row, we should be starting to reap some benefits from Dodge's recruiting and I believe that a team, having faced 'Death Valley' before, can better prepare itself because the awe will have worn off.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

GrayEagleOne,

You make some good points. For the undisclosed game in 08', I don't see any point in mentioning anything regarding this game period. The article makes it sound like we're getting some great opponent...and I agree with you, not mentioning who it could possibly be is probably best for the fans (in case a name opponent falls through). I think that just leaving the whole situation unsaid would be the better choice.

As for the LSU thing, I understand the huge payout we get, but when are we gonna get away from scheduling perinnial top 5 programs? I get (as do many others here) a little frustrated with being offered up as fodder for these types of powerhouse teams in their season openers. It offers nothing productive to our program (currently...3-5 years from now may be a different story) except for a huge paycheck and tends to demoralize the fanbase just as the season is getting started. Why not try to schedule someone else who will still pay fairly big, but still offers us a reasonable chance to win the game? The Miami game was an example of this to me. They are down now, but we get rid of that game and put LSU on the schedule instead!? ;)

Thanks for the insight that you offered and the clarification of the K-State series.

GrayEagleOne,

You make some good points. For the undisclosed game in 08', I don't see any point in mentioning anything regarding this game period. The article makes it sound like we're getting some great opponent...and I agree with you, not mentioning who it could possibly be is probably best for the fans (in case a name opponent falls through). I think that just leaving the whole situation unsaid would be the better choice.

I think the point in mentioning it is to point out that there is a game in the works and not an open date available for scheduling SMU.

I like the scheduling RV has done. Rice is a good series to have along with Air Force. We need as many regional games as possible to gain interest among our fan base. K State is a good one too. A Big 12 school that is beatable. If we could only get away from playing the major powerhouses that are always in the top 5 every year, we could make some serious noise.

Edited by StealthEagle84

SMU should want us to return, but I am not so sure why we should be so excited about bringing SMU and all of their 1,000 traveling fans back to Denton.

Sooner or later we are all going to wake up and realize that SMU really doesnt bring anything to the table other than talk of ancient glories and unwarranted attitude.

SMU should want us to return, but I am not so sure why we should be so excited about bringing SMU and all of their 1,000 traveling fans back to Denton.

Sooner or later we are all going to wake up and realize that SMU really doesnt bring anything to the table other than talk of ancient glories and unwarranted attitude.

My thoughts exactly! Seems like a one-way benefit if we pack their stadium with >4k of fans and they bring us 1k... A series with Baylor would be much better, at least they travel well. Plus we've beaten them recently and who's to say we couldn't do it again...

My thoughts exactly! Seems like a one-way benefit if we pack their stadium with >4k of fans and they bring us 1k... A series with Baylor would be much better, at least they travel well. Plus we've beaten them recently and who's to say we couldn't do it again...

A few on the SMU board stated that it would be alright if SMU got a 2 to 1 series against NT. I would be very disappointed in RV if he gave SMU any kind of advantage in a future series. On a side note if SMU had 20,000 at the game than at least 9,000 were from NT. That is giving SMU credit for the claimed (but I doubt it) 2,000 fans they are supposed to have behind the glass. My estimate is that SMU had about 16000 at the game with at least 7000 NT fans. Also SMU did not come close to bringing 1000 to Denton last year.

It would be nice to open the 2010 season at home vs. SMU.

I think it would be great to play them every year too indefinately. They should make/bill it as a grudge match and play for some kind of local prized bragging trophy - like the silver boot does for the Rangers/Astros. Something indicative of the the two schools i.e. "The Prized Fry"...."The Hayden Cup"......Crap, I dunno...Im open to ideas...

Edited by trud1966

That series makes too much sense, but while I realize SMU has a lot of money, I doubt they can afford UNT's asking price for unreturned games. Before we signed our 2/2 home/home series with Memphis they wanted to make it a 3 for 1, our AD told them what ASU's price would be for the two unreturned games, they countered with a 3 for 2 and ASU told them the price for the one unreturned game. Few weeks later they called back and we signed a home/home.

On a side note if SMU had 20,000 at the game than at least 9,000 were from NT. That is giving SMU credit for the claimed (but I doubt it) 2,000 fans they are supposed to have behind the glass. My estimate is that SMU had about 16000 at the game with at least 7000 NT fans.

I love how this number is getting bigger every day.

We were allotted 4,000 tickets for our section. I will generously estimate another 500 scattered throughout the stadium. Still, it was a very respectable showing on our part.

I think it would be great to play them every year too indefinately. They should make/bill it as a grudge match and play for some kind of local prized bragging trophy - like the silver boot does for the Rangers/Astros. Something indicative of the the two schools i.e. "The Prized Fry"...."The Hayden Cup"......Crap, I dunno...Im open to ideas...

I have said more than once that I would happily contribute to the purchase of The Trinity Fork (a big silver fork-shaped trophy) that would go to the winner of an annual UNT-TCU-SMU series.

Edited by UNTflyer